372xp Vs 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know the 372XP is better but how much better? I cut firewood for myself and have a stock Husqvarna 359. I'm pretty satisfied with it and it works well in most wood.

I'm considering buying a 372XP in hopes of speeding up cutting in the big stuff. I usually don't quarter my big wood before I take it home with me because of the time involved. I would like to because it makes it easier to handle. I've actually turned down huge wood before because I couldn't handle it.

How much faster is the 372 going to be in the 20" plus wood and do you think it would be worth the extra money?

Danny

a couple of my favorite saws man! but the problem is that there is only about 10cc's seperating the two. i like the 3fiddy9 to have an 18inch bar and the 372 with a 20inch bar. so there's the problem for you. that 10cc difference.

yes the 372 is a stud for a saw for sure but you might look to a bigger saw for the bigger wood if you are happy with you 3fiddy9. and also look around this site for some mods to help wake up that saw if you want to.

good luck.

Quarter big wood? Are you talking with a splitter or are you trying to rip it with a saw? I have the 357xp which is close to the 359, and in wood right around 20" it works fine with an 18" bar (still not my go-to saw for wood that size but it will get the job done fine). When I go 20" plus I prefer the 372xp with 24" bar (better balanced with a 20" bar, but I prefer the 24" just becase of what I'm using it on) but most of my 20" plus is in the 30" plus range. There is a difference in speed, but if you keep your chains sharp and usually cut on the low end of the 20" plus side the 359 should be fine. In bigger stuff the 372xp really shines; besides you need an excuse to get one before they are all gone!

I would be quartering or halving the wood (depending on size) by noodling. If I have several big pieces the 359 will do it but not real fast. Maybe I'm in too big of a hurry.

I would just like something to go through the wood quite a bit faster. I know that there's not a lot of cc's difference between the two. I was just wondering if stepping up to an XP that there would be quite a bit more cutting power.

I really don't want to get anything bigger than the 372XP because I ain't no spring chicken and a bigger saw would wear me out faster. The 359 would be for backup and smaller stuff.

Danny

Danny,

I had the same question (sort of) a while back. I have a stock, non-etec, 359 and wanted some more go for exactly the same reasons as you.

I really liked the idea of the 372 but felt there was not enough difference between the two to justify the $$. Husky stopped internet sales which pushed me over the edge. For less than the 372, I went with a Dolmar 7900 with a 24" bar.

The Dolmar rocks and hasn't given me a lick of trouble. I have quartered lots of big red oak pieces that I couldn't get into the truck myself. I am fortunate to have a really good Dolmar dealer about 7 miles away. Not sure of your situation.

Works like a charm!:clap:

JD in PA

Danny,

I had the same question (sort of) a while back. I have a stock, non-etec, 359 and wanted some more go for exactly the same reasons as you.

I really liked the idea of the 372 but felt there was not enough difference between the two to justify the $$. Husky stopped internet sales which pushed me over the edge. For less than the 372, I went with a Dolmar 7900 with a 24" bar.

The Dolmar rocks and hasn't given me a lick of trouble. I have quartered lots of big red oak pieces that I couldn't get into the truck myself. I am fortunate to have a really good Dolmar dealer about 7 miles away. Not sure of your situation.

Works like a charm!:clap:

JD in PA

I've decided that I'm definately going to get another saw. I do have some Dolmar dealers within a reasonable distance from me but I don't know how good they are. I may have to check them out.

I have read postings on the Dolmar 7900 and there are a lot of people happy with them. Decisions decisions.

Danny

I know the 372XP is better but how much better? I cut firewood for myself and have a stock Husqvarna 359. I'm pretty satisfied with it and it works well in most wood.

I'm considering buying a 372XP in hopes of speeding up cutting in the big stuff. I usually don't quarter my big wood before I take it home with me because of the time involved. I would like to because it makes it easier to handle. I've actually turned down huge wood before because I couldn't handle it.

How much faster is the 372 going to be in the 20" plus wood and do you think it would be worth the extra money?

Danny

359 will cut down a tree

372 will own the tree and make the tree it's bitc#

359 will cut down a tree

372 will own the tree and make the tree it's bitc#

You are right, as usual......:givebeer: :givebeer:

The 359 is about as close as you come to a dud for a 59cc saw, and the 372xp is a pretty good 71cc saw, probably the best ever - much larger difference that the cc difference indicate.

Last edited:
357 is an awsome saw.

i always thought i wouldn't need a 372 because it wasn't much of a HP difference.i sold the 357 after i got a 372.it was a nice saw.wish i kept it.been thinking of getting another but i want to see how this 261/262 coversion pans out first.

359 is an excellent all around saw.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the 372xp. The Dolmar 7900 was recommended and I checked into them today. I've read before that the dealership support is lacking and it seems it's that way in my area.

I'm not knocking the 359 but I just want something that will walk through the big wood and save me time and energy. I want to be able to block the big stuff in quarters on site and not take all day.

The 359 doesn't seem all that bad to me but it's the biggest saw I've ever owned. I got my new non etech muffler installed and tached it today with my new tach. It's running about 12,500 rpms. I guess it needs leaning out but I thought the new muffler would have made it run leaner. I wish I had tached it before I took the etech off. Maybe it was adjusted way too rich.

Danny

372 is a masterpeice.

the 359 is still a really good saw, but its not a medal winner. I consider the 359 a great saw for beginners use as the next step up from their cryobi when they realise they bought a noisey paperweight thet excretes oil.

359 is a great small / med sized firewood saw as its lighter and more manoverable, in small / med wood you wont notice much of a difference and your back will thank you. but id still be runnin a 372!!!

Danny

In 20" wood the 372 will be noticably faster than the 359. I like both saws, but I think you should consider going to the 385, 390, 395 for the bigger saw choice.

If you have no intentions of having the saw ported, get the 7900. Best bang for the buck saw out there. If you want to get it ported, get the 372 or a Stihl 460. Your 359 would respond to porting well and likely have nearly the power of a stock 372.

I really don't feel comfortable having a saw ported. If I get a 372xp I'll leave it stock or a muffler mod at most. If I were sawing for a living I would definatly do the porting.

Who's got the best deals on a 7900 with a 24" bar? After doing some research on one I'd really like to have one but am somewhat leary of buying an expensive (for me anyway) saw and maybe not have the dealer support.

I can get a killer deal on the 372xp.

Danny

Back