390xp Chain Suggestions 32" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love using the stihl rs chain, it's all I use. Full chisel round ground. Pair it with the correct 2 in 1 sharpener and a stump vise and you can have it back to new in 5 minutes once you get the hang of it. I can typically cut a whole 20 inch tree up without sharpening.

I doubt they make a semi semi ???
If they do:

If that shop does not normaly stock semi-skip in semi chisel then you are likely SOL unless they are willing to work with you and buy a hundred ft roll OR a 25 ft and test it with people. Or they will order you a 25ft roll if it exists?
You could find another shop to mail you
one?

Tell them you will find the best price in the country for your parts and chain in a round about nice way for a little persuasion?

Someone may know?? or check Bailyel's on line (or however you spell) See if Oregon makes it?

'Part from that. I don't believe semi-chisel is needed on stumping as you can look around the stump then that becomes a choice to cut into grit.Doesn't it? That's what the axe is for (Digging and chipping) I have never used a chain for a mitigater for grit and rocks. There it may be the last line of defence as is our PPE. Some chain is for crap you can't see not crap you can see. If you can see it and can't get to it with axe then as I said
earlier..back bar the worst of it outwards. The worst of it in creveses?.. use wedges and a pry if needed and thin it from the inside and pop it over.
Always go with your first line of defence. Think about it!

Use a bigger file also. 7/32 with Stihl then you my want to go back to 13/64 as the chain gets smaller. You are using a file guide (guide sits 'higher')so you should be acheving less 'hook' anyway.
The use of falling dogs will make it smoother as will the bigger file.
My try a bigger file will your skip.

@catbuster. Yes thanks. Sounds familiar as to say; I don't believe any of them do as I use to read all the magazines from my buddies saw shop (over and over and fantisize) back in the day. Before my internet days so it feed my OCD. I am surprised Stihl only makes it in square
as I thought Oregon does at least make semi skip in round ch. if I am remembering correctly? I could be wrong?? If they don't make it then a guy could always put a round file on it. It's going from round to square that eats the meat.

It's rough you say? I'm good with round in softwood and all the western hardwood that I have cut as well square in soft. No experience with square in any hard wood. Not one. lol
Were they ground with the rakers
dropped already?

I can typically cut a whole 20 inch tree up without sharpening.
You mean if you don't hit something? because at 20" x 100ft and 15" cuts; would be 43 sq ft. We should do 25 times that.
That would put you at 4%. lol
Clean wood anyways and without a mess up. Its all relevant to your experience and activity ect in your area. I can bundle cut that in just under 4 min with a ported 3120 and do 52, 4' x 4' bundles in 1:45
That's a gas fill every 13 min. 832 sq ft.
It could do that 3 times without out a file.

It was 72" bar with a tail handle. Cutting 1" x 2" bundled at 4' x 4'Buddy didn't file it before I showed up. He had a saw shop so he would run some time on them and then make loops and sell them as new. haha. That's the true definition of factory dull.
I could cut 1000 sq ft blocking pine + limbing
20-30 trees. without filing.
On the coast you could also go all day with luck. (6 hour run time in 7 hours)

@Westboastfaller Yeah, Stihl calls it RSK or RSLK for square ground. Smaller raker, bigger tie strap. Vibrates more & kicks a little easier. Probably a good softwood chain and probably what we learned on. I’m not a fan now that I’m running RS for the wood I’m cutting these days, it’s just way smoother in hardwoods east of the Mississippi.

I don’t know about Oregon chain, I haven’t used it much at all. Even when I ran 372s/576/390 I was running Stihl chain.

You mean if you don't hit something? because at 20" x 100ft and 15" cuts; would be 43 sq ft. We should do 25 times that.
That would put you at 4%. lol
Clean wood anyways and without a mess up. Its all relevant to your experience and activity ect in your area. I can bundle cut that in just under 4 min with a ported 3120 and do 52, 4' x 4' bundles in 1:45
That's a gas fill every 13 min. 832 sq ft.
It could do that 3 times without out a file.

It was 72" bar with a tail handle. Cutting 1" x 2" bundled at 4' x 4'Buddy didn't file it before I showed up. He had a saw shop so he would run some time on them and then make loops and sell them as new. haha. That's the true definition of factory dull.
I could cut 1000 sq ft blocking pine + limbing
20-30 trees. without filing.
On the coast you could also go all day with luck. (6 hour run time in 7 hours)

When I say tree, I mean everything. Until very recently I cut trees that were laying on the ground. I limb them, cut every limb that is 2inches and larger into 16 inch slabs, and even cut some smaller stuff for kindling as I see its needed. I bought a cant hook and used it for the first time over the weekend. It isnt necessarily faster than a tree on the ground but my chain was still very sharp after cutting the whole tree.

So as I said I picked up a skip tooth chisel chain due to it being the only local option. It worked great for the first 6" of the first cut with my brand new saw,bar, and chain until I hit a freegen metal spike in the tree!!!! Apparently someone pounded spikes in the tree years ago to get to a deer hunting stand. I could see the spikes and avoided them, but one must have gotten bent over when getting hammered in and the tree grew around it. Oh well. Spent 15min removing the knurled over metal on the teeth and sharpening. Everything woredw great after that. Leveled out some large red oaks and fell a 18" maple. Great day in the woods. I did not notice any chattering or anything weird with the skip tooth. Still want a full comp to try though. Saw had plenty of spare power yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_143403670_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190203_143403670_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back