390xp opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I've ordered: 372xpg with hd-filter and 18", 390xpg with hd-filter and 24" + big dogs + w-handlebar.

This is what I've ordered: 372xpg with hd-filter and 18", 390xpg with hd-filter and 24" + big dogs + w-handlebar.

I don't understand why you want those add-ons where you are - but then I don't know exactly what you are going to do with the saws.......:smile2:

Looks like the 562xp is starting to appear again! :smile2:

I know right? Oh well, I do know mweba (Mitch) had mentioned that his date had been moved to Dec.23 I believe. Thats very promising in itself IMO. However, Bob (spike60) has stated January 11 I believe. At any rate its not too much longer to wait. But......I just really wander how long it will be before they have the 562xp in red and black? Will it be a 2262?

Stiga

Man, for a relatively small population country, Sweden sure makes a lot of stuff! I had to go look up Stiga, never heard of them before.

Does the 390 cuts faster than the 372 with a 20" bar?

Once you get to XP saws of this size, it is not so much about the chain speed being faster or saw falling through a log any quicker but rather it is that you can keep going up in bar length and the saw just keeps pulling. The 372 is fast and powerful but I suspect the 390 will do everything it will do, just as fast with longer bars. I have not actually run the 390 but I have ran the 372xp and the 385xp to compare and that was the case. The 385 is very smooth and hard to lug down. There is very little visable difference betweeen the 385 and 390 but there is more power.

I don't understand why you want those add-ons where you are - but then I don't know exactly what you are going to do with the saws.......:smile2:

I'll use at least the 372 alot in my tree/stump business, the hd-filter + the 390xpg(w) is just beacause I love to buy saws and stuffs like that:cheers:

Once you get to XP saws of this size, it is not so much about the chain speed being faster or saw falling through a log any quicker but rather it is that you can keep going up in bar length and the saw just keeps pulling. The 372 is fast and powerful but I suspect the 390 will do everything it will do, just as fast with longer bars. I have not actually run the 390 but I have ran the 372xp and the 385xp to compare and that was the case. The 385 is very smooth and hard to lug down. There is very little visable difference betweeen the 385 and 390 but there is more power.

Mainly depends on the size wood you are in. The 372 is a little faster in the 12" and down stuff because of rpm differences but once you pass 12-14" in size the 390 does not lug down so it cuts faster. Now that was with stock saws, modded, all bets are off. CJ

Man, for a relatively small population country, Sweden sure makes a lot of stuff! I had to go look up Stiga, never heard of them before.

They are owned by Husky, but I have no idea for how long......

No, not directly anyhow. Since some years ago Stiga, Alpina and Castel Gardens joined their troops together to form Global Garden Products. If Husqvarna is in anyway inwolved it would have to be through some kind of ownership of GGP. Haven't heard about that, but I really just don't know.

Stiga is really a company for us Swedes to be proud of. Besides being the worlds leading manufacturer of table tennis equipment and, to a more humble level, other sports gear. Stiga is most known for their yellow painted lawn mowers of which every Swedish home owner has at least one or two... Already in 1974 Stiga was the largest manufacturer of engine powered mowers in Europe! :rock:

Someone might recall that I've mentioned that my mother spends her summers at a small cottage where her mother was born and raised a hundred years ago, give or take a few, and that this house is located only 60 kilometers from the town of Huskvarna, where our favourite all-orange saws are being born. Well, 60 kilometers away from Huskvarna means in this case that you are in the town of Tranås, and Tranås happens to be the home town of Stiga! Isn't it just a bit remarkable, that two companies that has become so successful in the same market, not just locally but globally, started out in two neighbouring towns? Husqvarna is of course older, but nevertheless, I wonder how that happens... There might be something in the water, or..?

As strange as the world is now, there is actually two companies named Stiga today, since the table tennis and sports gear division is their own entity since the beginning of the 80's. Other divisions that has been sold off is textile, weapons (air guns I think), high pressure air pumps and stationary bikes.

In Sweden Husqvarna, with Jonsered, Partner and McCulloch, is rather the new kids on the block when it comes to lawn mowers, while Stiga and the premium brand Klippo has been around for ever. While Stigas mowers are bright yellow, Klippo is bright red, and those are pretty much the only colours you'll ever see on a Swedish lawn: Yellow in private homes, red in parks and other public access places where professionals work.

Husqvarna has been unable to compete with this so a few years ago they did what they do best nowadays and simply bought Klippo... It doesn't seem to have damaged the quality of the red mower yet, they still feels like if they've been put together by Mercedes (read as simply outstanding quality - you can actually feel the joy of experiencing such quality spreading in your body just by grabbing the handlebar on a Klippo! It can't be told, have to be experienced...), but the manuals are the ones typical of Husqvarna. Do I simply make up the dominance of these two brands since it might be hard for you to check? Not at all, f.e. look at what kind of mowers our family have: I myself have two yellow, my FIL has two yellow and my mother has one yellow and one red. And I'll say my mother is brave for getting a red one while living in the town where the yellow ones is being born... :msp_thumbup:

Most people actually seem to have two or more, simply because after around 30 years of service most people like to buy a new mower, but since the old one is still working it's being kept as a working spare. Usually the new one is easier to start, has a lot less emissions, lower sound level - but the older one still cuts the grass to a much better looking condition!

Since Stiga has done so well with mowers they have of course tried to sell every other piece of OPE there is, including chain saws, but none has been the same success as their mowers. One exception might be their line of Front Cut Ride On mowers, which are still manufactured in Tranås, and perhaps also their line of snow throwers. I was so close to buying a Stiga snow thrower a few weeks ago, since Stiga (and for that matter Klippo) is the only brand my Stihl dealer carry beside Stihl, but SWMBO decided that my not to well working left hand needed heated handles, and since Stiga only has that on their professional models I got a Husqvarna ST 268EP instead. But they are very much alike, I really wonder if they're not related some how...

Anyway, most other Stiga products has held at best decent consumer quality. You will probably not find a lot of Stiga chainsaws in any serious collectors show room, but you'll probably find one on the shelf in the garage in most Swedish homes, right behind the yellow mower...

No, not directly anyhow. Since some years ago Stiga, Alpina and Castel Gardens joined their troops together to form Global Garden Products. If Husqvarna is in anyway inwolved it would have to be through some kind of ownership of GGP. Haven't heard about that, but I really just don't know.

Stiga is really a company for us Swedes to be proud of. Besides being the worlds leading manufacturer of table tennis equipment and, to a more humble level, other sports gear. Stiga is most known for their yellow painted lawn mowers of which every Swedish home owner has at least one or two... Already in 1974 Stiga was the largest manufacturer of engine powered mowers in Europe! :rock:

Someone might recall that I've mentioned that my mother spends her summers at a small cottage where her mother was born and raised a hundred years ago, give or take a few, and that this house is located only 60 kilometers from the town of Huskvarna, where our favourite all-orange saws are being born. Well, 60 kilometers away from Huskvarna means in this case that you are in the town of Tranås, and Tranås happens to be the home town of Stiga! Isn't it just a bit remarkable, that two companies that has become so successful in the same market, not just locally but globally, started out in two neighbouring towns? Husqvarna is of course older, but nevertheless, I wonder how that happens... There might be something in the water, or..?

As strange as the world is now, there is actually two companies named Stiga today, since the table tennis and sports gear division is their own entity since the beginning of the 80's. Other divisions that has been sold off is textile, weapons (air guns I think), high pressure air pumps and stationary bikes.

In Sweden Husqvarna, with Jonsered, Partner and McCulloch, is rather the new kids on the block when it comes to lawn mowers, while Stiga and the premium brand Klippo has been around for ever. While Stigas mowers are bright yellow, Klippo is bright red, and those are pretty much the only colours you'll ever see on a Swedish lawn: Yellow in private homes, red in parks and other public access places where professionals work.

Husqvarna has been unable to compete with this so a few years ago they did what they do best nowadays and simply bought Klippo... It doesn't seem to have damaged the quality of the red mower yet, they still feels like if they've been put together by Mercedes (read as simply outstanding quality - you can actually feel the joy of experiencing such quality spreading in your body just by grabbing the handlebar on a Klippo! It can't be told, have to be experienced...), but the manuals are the ones typical of Husqvarna. Do I simply make up the dominance of these two brands since it might be hard for you to check? Not at all, f.e. look at what kind of mowers our family have: I myself have two yellow, my FIL has two yellow and my mother has one yellow and one red. And I'll say my mother is brave for getting a red one while living in the town where the yellow ones is being born... :msp_thumbup:

Most people actually seem to have two or more, simply because after around 30 years of service most people like to buy a new mower, but since the old one is still working it's being kept as a working spare. Usually the new one is easier to start, has a lot less emissions, lower sound level - but the older one still cuts the grass to a much better looking condition!

Since Stiga has done so well with mowers they have of course tried to sell every other piece of OPE there is, including chain saws, but none has been the same success as their mowers. One exception might be their line of Front Cut Ride On mowers, which are still manufactured in Tranås, and perhaps also their line of snow throwers. I was so close to buying a Stiga snow thrower a few weeks ago, since Stiga (and for that matter Klippo) is the only brand my Stihl dealer carry beside Stihl, but SWMBO decided that my not to well working left hand needed heated handles, and since Stiga only has that on their professional models I got a Husqvarna ST 268EP instead. But they are very much alike, I really wonder if they're not related some how...

Anyway, most other Stiga products has held at best decent consumer quality. You will probably not find a lot of Stiga chainsaws in any serious collectors show room, but you'll probably find one on the shelf in the garage in most Swedish homes, right behind the yellow mower...

Excellent post. Thank you.

I think a bone stock 372 will handle 24" of bar in any wood you have over there. I stopped using my ported 385xp and went with a ported 365 special and a 24" bar for most of the felling/forestry work I did in southern England. And I stumped a lot of trees with it. Unless you require more than 24", I would stick with a 372. If you can get it ported, all the better. 372's respond very well to porting. Perhaps better than any other saw other than a 346xp...

large.jpg

So,, are you saying that a 346 responds better than a 372 to porting???

Back