390XPG Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Simple question, I think

Finally bit the bullet, took the beating and sold the 372XPG that wouldn't stay together.

Looking at a 390XPG as a possible candidate to replace it. My question is concerning the air filter and cover. Does the 390XPG use a smaller filter and low cover similar to the ones on the 372XPG or the 576XPG?

I checked the IPLs on Husky's website and while they show a smaller filter available for the 390XP they only show the one high top cover. I'm assuming they could use an orange version of the J'red 2188 cover and filter but they don't show it.

I figure someone here must know.

Take Care

Low top is usually what the xpgs get. It's not really a problem as the jonsereds use that size filter and they are not limiting the saw or getting stopped up quickly.

Freeze up not filtration

Mdavlee, thanks for the reply.

Not to worried about filtration, I don't see a pile of trashed 2188's at the local J'red dealer. I have found through experience however when cutting in fine powdery snow in cold weather it gets sucked up into that big filter melts and then freezes solid. Saw starts running poorly to say the least. Used to throw my 576XP in the truck to defrost but eventually just bought a second filter.

Again my own experience, I have never really liked the high top filter designs. Seems like that big cover always seems to get in the way especially in hemlock, EWP and old twisted branch hardwoods. Not a huge thing, just always seems to hit something so you can't access what you want to cut properly at the least opportune times. Maybe a good reason to go look at J'reds.

Take Care

Hi John,

Here's a photo of a 390 xpg with the tapered cover. The difference in the degree of taper/loss of volume due to smaller air filter seems less than the difference on the 372

oPBtB50.jpg

Thanks Mike

May be an optical delusion on my part but from what I can see in the pics you posted vs. pics I dug up online by search, the J'red 2186/2188 series plastic is more streamlined and less obtrusive.

Have to take a ride next week to you know where and compare in the living flesh, or plastic, may be more to the point in this case.

Take Care

I think you're right, I think the overall volume of the jonsered design is less...maybe it's a tad taller overall but I doubt it. If you look the height of the crown on the low top husky seems more determined by the plug than the filter...the low top filters on the 372 xpg I had were basically completely flat, so the taper coming off the spark plug seems much more a design thing and much less to accommodate the air filter vs the high top variant, where I think they're taking the space they need.

Latest posts

Back