Old 026 carb switch + tank vent question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bally1020

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello people(s)!
I think this is my first post ever. Please allow me to ramble for a moment, or skip down to the question. Thanks. I hate to bug y'all. But I have been pulling my hair out in a half lit room for about mmmm four weeks now with several saws. I have cut firewood for years using my landlords trusty 021 Stihl.
One day someone gave me a totally used up 42 cc craftsman saw which the store guy told me was a throwaway saw since it had a scored piston. I found a kit for twenty dollars only! Wow ! i thought. Surely parts this chea mean a no throw situation? And life went on hold ever since while i replaced mmmmmm Everything on that saw. four weeks later and it almost runs very well. If only i could find that leak! :).

Anyone tried tye holztforrma saws? I bought the 038 magnum 72cc replica and it is an animal. One clutch spring failed after a few hours and broke the oil pump and passage and worm gear. New parts and several days researchinng on this site it finally oils again.

I converted the 3/8 picco sprocket on landlords 021 stihl to a regular 3/8 with a new clutch and been running 100 oct ethanol free gas in all saws. Not sure if its wise but no overheating or other bad signs yet and no ethanol in the gas lines!!!

Ok my intro ranting is done.
Finally my 026 i bought on ebay,.....

Seems to run. Runs a lot better since i dremelled the baffles out the exhaust !
But still spools up slow compared to other saws. Air filter is clean, exhaust has no screen only a spark arrestor which is clear and free. It has the adjustable h/l and i did it by the book but no matter what it spools up slowly.
For seven whole dollars on ebay i got a replacement carb only to find theres an old 026 and a new 026 setup.
I got the ipl after buying the wrong fuel lines etc!
My question is this....
On another post someone also bought the newer carb with the extra big nipple that sticks into the air filter and was told to swap over the tops of the two carbs in order to get rid of the air inlet nipple thing. I can do thyis, but the inlet holes are two different diameters. I figured the new hole is smaller because it has the adittional air inlet hole. So if i swap the tops over wont the saw be affected by the smaller main inlet hole? See pics.

Since i have the newer bigger fuel line that doesnt fit, is there any reason i cant just use my standard fuel tube and some putty to block the hole up ? Im out of money now totally. Its all been investment purchases since theres chainsaw work to be done but for four weeks now i have not cut much wood since i have been repairing saws almost the whole time!

A side note, i have been making and using the full chisel chains from holztforrma and i love them! I can make two sizes 3/8 0.050 and 3/8 0.063 if you know anyone that wants to try them ? ?every joining chain link is a shiny blue color which looks cool too.

It' s a shame that i cant make the new air filter style on the 026 fit with the carb. Because i have two spare filters now. The tank vent stands in the way for one thing. I wonder if we can swap to the newer style tank vent on tge old chassis ?

Or ,related, can i not drill a hole in the old style air filter so that the third air inlet nipple can stick into it?

I hope you see my basic question/ problem amongst all this other talk!

Anyway that is my entire chainsawing history to date! Anything Ive learned has been from this great site mostly, and its super helpful, and patient members. I thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_20191111_191528.jpg
    IMG_20191111_191528.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20191111_191449.jpg
    IMG_20191111_191449.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20191111_201859.jpg
    IMG_20191111_201859.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20191111_201817.jpg
    IMG_20191111_201817.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 22
Buy a WT-194 carb. That’s the best carb for the 026. China ones have been good for some people.

You are stuck with that tall black vent. There were many on the 026. And none interchange. Though, some have cut the tall vent down.

None of that matters once you get the proper carb.

WT 194 ! Got it. I will check it out. Thanks?
In the meantime I spent more hours metucuoously inspecting. cleaning the walbro thats back on it now. It didnt seem too bad at all. I took every piece out and looked with these killer magnifying glasses with lights and interchangeable four different zoom lenses. I love them! For so many projects i can see every detail.
Just dont look at your fingers even after you scrubbed them with the highest zoom level! haha

Tested saw today without bar on it and it seemed to spool up nice and fast.
Set iele at 2700 with cheapo laser pointy gizmo by painting the flywheel black and sticking the reflective tape in between the fins. Then pointing the beam throygh the grill on the starter cover. Good for idle reading but full throttle sounded screaming but only 10k reading achieved. It ran fast enough for me! Not too fussy as long as it wont hurt it by limitng the max rpm to less than 14k???

Sorely tempted to start it then slide that cover off, but i wont.
Might have to give in and get a wire wrap one instead. I need my fibgers too much right now

Anyway thanks!

Back