394xp....how will she fair on milling duty?!?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04titanse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a 394xp from a member here a few days ago. Not really sure why I bought it, but I think I got a fair price on it so I am not upset. I am waiting for my bandsaw mill to arrive, but it will only do 22" diameter so I am thinking about picking up an Alaskan mill to handle some of the bigger stuff and or just to get it down to a size my mill can handle.

The majority of what I am milling is hemlock and some pine. The chainsaw mill would be responsible for working with 24-36" hemlock/pine. Do you think my 394 is up to the task? I figure its soft wood so it should be able to handle it as long as the saw is running well and the ripping chain is sharp.

I have never milled before so I am just looking for some advice. Been reading around for a while I see lots of guys mill with 85-95cc saws and do ok. I was thinking a 36" Alaskan with a 42" bar.

I attached a few pictures of the saw with a tiny 20" bar on it.

I bought a lightly used 394xp about 2 weeks ago for the same purpose. I'm thinking(hoping) that its stronger than the 066BB that I currently use. 3/8 x 7 should be the way to go with wide slabs. I cut mostly hardwood and have cut up to 31" wide oak, elm, and walnut with the 066BB. Softer woods like pine and hemlock shouldn't be a problem, and semi-chisel will cut pretty aggressively.

Your bandmill with cut 22" or handle a 22" log? The bigger they get the more difficult they are to handle. 24" is about as big as I like to put on my mill (all manual), and it will cut 24". IIRC, the widest cuts I've made were ~22". I've had 30"+ logs on mine, but had to trim knots, flares, etc so the carriage would clear. They are beastly to turn, even with a winch.

Just stepped up from a 395 to an 084. been using the husky for the last few years great saw. basically the same as the 394. cuts 24" western red cedar pretty good. cut a 36" hemlock was realy slow but got the job done. running a 36" bar on mine. wanted more power for cuts over 24"

My reason for moving to the 394xp was to be able to share bars with my 3120. I was out today, and got to try the 066BB and 394xp in the same log. It was a boxelder between 30" and 36" with lots of gnarly knots and bumps. I made the first couple of cuts with my 066BB and 36" Stihl ES bar with a new Stihl 33RM chain. The 2nd cut was right at the limit of the mill's capacity with that bar, and since I didn't want to edge this log any more than necessary, I broke out the 394xp and 42" with GB 3/8 .063 ripping chain. I turned the oiler up to max, and was soon getting a decent spray from the 42", and noticeably more than I've been able to get with the Stihl. With the longer bar I was able to stretch the mill out to its max which is right at 33.5". The widest cuts just barely squeezed through, and the 394xp held noticeably higher RPM in the cut than did the 066BB. The Stihl RM chain was more aggressive than the GB ripping chain, but then I gave it a quicky sharpen and it cut noticeably faster than straight from the box.

Both saws were running the same fuel, and both tuned to my ear. The 394xp was noticeably stronger.:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
My reason for moving to the 394xp was to be able to share bars with my 3120. I was out today, and got to try the 066BB and 394xp in the same log. It was a box elder between 30" and 36" with lots of gnarly knots and bumps. I made the first couple of cuts with my 066BB and 36" Stihl ES bar with a new Stihl 33RM chain. The 2nd cut was right at the limit of the mill's capacity with that bar, and since I didn't want to edge this log any more than necessary, I broke out the 394xp and 42" with GB 3/8 .063 ripping chain. I turned the oiler up to max, and was soon getting a decent spray from the 42", and noticeably more than I've been able to get with the Stihl. With the longer bar I was able to stretch the mill out to its max which is right at 33.5". The widest cuts just barely squeezed through, and the 394xp held noticeably higher RPM in the cut than did the 066BB. The Stihl RM chain was more aggressive than the GB ripping chain, but then I gave it a quicky sharpen and it cut noticeably faster than straight from the box.

Both saws were running the same fuel, and both tuned to my ear. The 394xp was noticeably stronger.:msp_thumbup:

Good to hear she pulled the 42" bar well. That is what I was planning on running.

Good to hear she pulled the 42" bar well. That is what I was planning on running.

I ran a 394XP with a 60" bar. Did several right at the capacity of the mill (54"). Did just fine.

2010-02-15011.jpg

Latest posts

Back