394xp opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What major changes took place from 394 to 395 there is one of those in the area but for higher price tag

i believe the only difference is the intake, carb, tank vent, and the HD filter. the filter holder also is mounted to anti vibe rubber stubs on he 395 while the 394's just mounts the plastic. of coarse the cylinder is different because of the intake but the bore and stroke are the same. the older 394's also used that hurt'n single spring clutch that seemed to like to come apart when your way out in the woods with no spare.

I paid more (for my 394) than what has been mentioned, but the saw came from a reputable member here and was in known good condition. It was worth the piece of mind vs taking a gamble :) They make great torque in stock condition! If you don't have to carry it long distances and you are in good health, the weight shouldn't be an issue. This summer I had to pack it into the woods a good ways and I felt it lol. This is where lightweight bars make life easier!
IMO, a nice looking 394 that's been gone through is easily worth 6 Benjies....
I have a 394, we ran it against a MS660 and it makes the 660 look gutless, but to be fair I should mention the 394 weighs 1.1 lbs. more than a 660. So there ya have it... a tradeoff between weight and power...

I bought a 2012 660 then immediately found a deal on a well used 394xp... Had to buy it but couldn't justify both of them. Figured I would put the hours on the 394 while I had it for sale. Once I sold it and went back to using the 660 I realized I had made a huge mistake... Luckily I was able to get my money out of the lame turd.

Ended up finding a flat top, metal flywheel, riveted nameplate 066. Night and day difference between the 066 and 660. 394xp was probably the strongest of the 3.

eta I also had a beat to hell abused 385 for a while, it was pretty even with the lame turd.

Last edited:
For what ever reason, Stihl screwed up with the later 066 and 660. Some minor changes and they would have had a nice saw.

I bought a 2012 660 then immediately found a deal on a well used 394xp... Had to buy it but couldn't justify both of them. Figured I would put the hours on the 394 while I had it for sale. Once I sold it and went back to using the 660 I realized I had made a huge mistake... Luckily I was able to get my money out of the lame turd.

Ended up finding a flat top, metal flywheel, riveted nameplate 066. Night and day difference between the 066 and 660. 394xp was probably the strongest of the 3.

eta I also had a beat to hell abused 385 for a while, it was pretty even with the lame turd.

I currently run a flat top, riveted tag, plastic flywheel 066 with 660 plastics hence the "with sheep skin on" in my signature. It runs great and is one hundred percent stock. I enjoy running the saw, with a sharp chain on a 25" bar it does everything I need it to do. If purchased the 394 would be a flip or go into mill service. The 075 build I've been on has been taxing on me and I'm concern of the reliability of the saw when I start to mill with it.

If yer only running 25" the 066 actually might beat the 394 with a 7 pin. 8 pin is a different story. When we talk about saws this size i automatically think minimum 36" cause if i ain't running that minimum i just use a smaller saw. I keep forgetting that some guys have way more saw then they actually need. No offence though. I to enjoy way to much power behind a small bar but all my saws are set up for certain jobs so i can just grab the one i need when i need it.

I keep forgetting that some guys have way more saw then they actually need.
No offense taken, last time I checked there was no such thing as this statement above. Kinda like a car with too much power..lol. I was looking for a bigger saw and when this 066 came up for grabs for under $300 I grabbed it. If a 440 or 460 would have came up for that price I would have grab it and never had a 066. After seeing what this saw could do I was after more so I picked up the 075 and did a complete overhaul. I've had the 075 buried cutting hardwood noddles and it is a torque monster!

I will only spend up to 500 bucks on a saw, and I kinda have a thing for big saws. It is usually hard to even get a used small Stihl for that. I like the way the stihls feel, but my hands don't enjoy the vibes. The 394 feels really "loose" to me, but my 385 has been great. Got it for $400 a few years back and it has never let me down. Except when Jake is using it, that is.....:D

I have a HT 394. The plastics are a bit stained but compression is 170. It would take 5.5 clams to get it out of my hand. Every time I come across a tree big enough to do it justice I have to share it with the 125. I believe it's the 125's turns next.

5.5 clams is what I paid for my low top which also has 170psi. Not sure how I'd feel about parting with her!

I really liked my 395 in the big stuff but not much left around here. After running it in 20" stuff I sold it and picked up a 390, much better fit. If you are hoggin big wood the 395/4 does not wear you out too bad but in the smaller stuff you feel it pretty quick. CJ

I really liked my 395 in the big stuff but not much left around here. After running it in 20" stuff I sold it and picked up a 390, much better fit. If you are hoggin big wood the 395/4 does not wear you out too bad but in the smaller stuff you feel it pretty quick. CJ
Tru dat. Tru dat.

Back