395xp chain size question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I noticed on the husqvarna website for 395XP it runs 3/8 pitch 050 gauge. Bigger than the 32 inch bar it recommends a different pitch and gauge WHY? Can I still run the three eights and .0 5O with the 36 inch bar? I plan on milling and I would think the narrower chain would be better.

Well, I will just guess. 404 is bigger chain, probably less likely to stretch bad or break or get thrown with longer bars and more powerful engines. And 63 gauge carries more oil down the bar.

For milling u are fine to stay with 3/8. Since you are cutting end grain u don't get as big of a bite of wood so less tension on the chain. Keep chain sharp and depth gauges at .025", and plenty of oil.

I am not a Husky guy, but Your question just as well relates to any other brand.

Other then increasing the gauge to .058" or .063" in order to increase/improve lubrication I don't see any problem running 3/8" on a 36" bar.
I think I read some run 3/8" LowProfile for milling, I might be wrong though.

I run 3/8" .058" on my 36" bar and my Dolmar PS-7900 is pulling it very well.
3/8" .058" is my chain preference for my everydays B&C setup, thus I opted to keep it simple when I purchased my 36" bar.

As mentioned, You may experience stronger chain stretch.
Other then that keeping 3/8" .050" shouldn't be an issue.

The above is just my humble opinion.

Latest posts

Back