395xp cutting Red Oak pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longwood

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Bucked a decent sized Red Oak today with the 395xp. My bar wouldn't reach thru. I blocked a few rounds with the 372xp. Pretty fun day of cutting.

:greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sweet looking load. I'd say you hit the jackpot. Good work out for them saws.

It was a pretty good workout for me rolling those rounds on the trailer!

The bar is a 36" and I used a Oregon 75CJ chain ( square ground skip). Even with the bar buried that 395 pulls it amazingly well.

I have a 24" and 36" b/c for my 394 (stock), the drive is 3/8" pitch.

Usually run the 24" with full comp, I haven't had the chance yet to see what the 36" will be like fully buried in some hard maple with full comp but I am curious. Based on how it handles the 24" I think it should be fine with sharp chain, what do you think, have you ever tried it?

I think my next saw has to be the 372XP, do you prefer the 20" or 24" on it? I have a 22" Oregon Power match bar and Stihl RS chain for my Partner that pushes it alittle so that might be a good fit as well. :chainsawguy:

Thanks for the pics!!!

Looked like a fun day!!!

Hey Bowtie, how do you find the Poulan 3000 is compared to the 026?

That Poulan 3000 is a good old saw. I put right there with the 026 Pro, except that it needs a diaper for the bar oil it loses when idling. Power wise, I rate them very close together. The Poulan has more plastic, like the bar cover and starter housing, but it has been a dang good saw.

That Poulan 3000 is a good old saw. I put right there with the 026 Pro, except that it needs a diaper for the bar oil it loses when idling. Power wise, I rate them very close together. The Poulan has more plastic, like the bar cover and starter housing, but it has been a dang good saw.

That's what I was thinking, my father and I share one that he bought back in 1986 and it has cut a lot of wood, we run a 16" b/c and I think it is .325" pitch by .058", I find the balance, handling and anti vibe really good for the age and she's a little screamer. We still use it every year, we'll run a few saws out of fuel, fill em back up and back at it. That saw has never complained, except for when we left it at home.:clap:

I have a 24" and 36" b/c for my 394 (stock), the drive is 3/8" pitch.

Usually run the 24" with full comp, I haven't had the chance yet to see what the 36" will be like fully buried in some hard maple with full comp but I am curious. Based on how it handles the 24" I think it should be fine with sharp chain, what do you think, have you ever tried it?

I think my next saw has to be the 372XP, do you prefer the 20" or 24" on it? I have a 22" Oregon Power match bar and Stihl RS chain for my Partner that pushes it alittle so that might be a good fit as well. :chainsawguy:

Before I got the 395 I used to run full comp chisel chain with the 36" bar in these pics on my 385, It pulled it OK so I know a 394 or 395 will pull a full comp fine but I like the chip clearance of a skip chain on bars longer than
28".

On my 372xp I prefer a 20" bar because I use it mostly for limbing or a little bucking at the top of the trunk where an Oak is small from forking out. This tree in the pics had five pickup truck loads of wood from the limbs. Earlier in the week the 254 and the 372 got used alot for limbing.

bit of a husky fan i see, nice wood

LOL, yeah but I like stihl products, if you look on the trailer you"ll see a jug of Stihl Bar Oil and I was running Stihl Ultra in the saws. I hope this smoothes things over with any Stihl guys reading this thread.

Thanks for the info, I too really like the Husqvarna saws, but also run a Stihl and some of their products as well, chains, files, etc...

Maybe after the 372 I get next, I will try another Stihl...361...460???

Thanks for the post!

Back