395XP trade for 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When I picked up the 395 I was actually looking for a 390. Well now I have a chance to sell the 395 for $175 more than I paid for it and pick up a 390 with 2 tanks of fuel ran through it cutting ice. The 390 comes with a warranty as if it was new and any bar chain combo I want. How is the 390 holding up and how does it compare to the 395 power wise. CJ

If you need to run a 32 or 36" bar the 395xp has more torque to do it.
If your going to run 24 or 28" bar then the 390xp would be my choice.
A 390xp feels light after running a 395xp for awhile.
The 395xp has a non rev limiting coil, the 390xp has a rev limit coil that is set at a 13,000rpm limit. If you replace it with a factory non limit coil it's $90.00
If it were me I'd get both saws with an assortment of bars and chains to play with.

If you don't need to run over a 32" bar then I don't think you'll really notice a big power difference in them. The 390 is a little lighter and handles better.

When I picked up the 395 I was actually looking for a 390. Well now I have a chance to sell the 395 for $175 more than I paid for it and pick up a 390 with 2 tanks of fuel ran through it cutting ice. The 390 comes with a warranty as if it was new and any bar chain combo I want. How is the 390 holding up and how does it compare to the 395 power wise. CJ

If you aren't milling, do it.

Thanks all,
I rarely need anything over a 24" bar and never mill. So I guess I will get the saw set up with a 28" or 32" bar and give it a try. CJ

Ive been running my 390XP w/32" bar and it pulls it just fine but it really shines w/a 28!!!!

Last edited:
Ive been running my 390 w/32" bar and it pulls it just fine but it really shines w/a 28!!!!

It balances very well with a 28, too. I prefer it to my RW 32" when the wood is small enough for it. My 385 was pretty lean when I got it, so make sure it's tuned well. Once the warranty is over, mod that muffler and open her up. With a 28" bar, mine had no problem keeping up with a bud's 066.

Last edited:
It balances very well with a 28, too. I prefer it to my RW 32" when the wood is small enough for it. My 385 was pretty lean when I got it, so make sure it's tuned well. Once the warranty is over, mod that muffler and open her up. With a 28" bar, mine had no problem keeping up with a bud's 066.

It will get modded after I run it for a week or so, not really concerned with the warranty other than any issues with it when I get it. CJ

The 390 is the way to go, inboard clutch for one. side chain adjuster. faster chain speed spec vs spec on the 395. 2 lbs lighter and only .6hp diff. Buy it mod it done! I just ordered one been waiting for it to arrive and it will get a port job right out of the box. I wouldn't hesitate to put a 42" on it then.

Mine has a mild port job and is just plain nasty with the 28" guide bar on wearing an 8pin!!!!:msp_w00t:!

I do eventually need to add a MM/w/unlimited coil and retune,,,

Yahoo buckeroo!!!!!! Hang on!!!!!

but its pretty health just like it is!!!!!

I have a pair the 394XP's and they are built like a tank,,, and pull like a tractor 36-42" bar no problem!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back