395xp VS 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pros and Cons?

Which one is:

Faster?

MORE POWERFUL?

Power to weight?

Versitile?

Balance?

Simply, which one is THE BEST?
:popcorn:

Modified 395 vs Modified 660?

Have and like both an 066 and 395. Comparable power: 066 maybe a little stronger in the midrange but 395 keeps up on the pipe.

066 much lighter, 395 much smoother. Its a personal preference thing. I tend to use the 395 more in spite of the greater weight.

Warranty period is a bad indicator... and is much more a marketing tool than a real benefit. You have to look at the claim rates and service issues... Claims usually happen very early in life, or not at all, and are rare in the case of the 660 (may also be for the 395 - I don't know).

Lakeside53 said:
Warranty period is a bad indicator... and is much more a marketing tool than a real benefit. You have to look at the claim rates and service issues... Claims usually happen very early in life, or not at all, and are rare in the case of the 660 (may also be for the 395 - I don't know).
I think that I always seen to fall into that USUALLY bracket, Whether it be a saw, car or whatever. If I need it I USUALLY dont have it. I guess its just a peace-of-mind thing for me. Especially with two very comparable saws, the longer warranty just seems like a little bonus. JMO.

The dealer where I bought both my 066 and 395 say of the the two the 395s seem to stand up slightly better even though both are pretty reliable given what people put them through.

The warrantee is 90 day for pro use with both huksy and stihl and that dealer told me once that Husky considers the 395 a pro only saw and therefor it is considered under the 90 day warranty. Don't know if I agree with that, but since I buy my saws under the no sales tax exemption for manufacturing tools, I only get the 90 day warrantee anyway. Has never been an issue so far for me yet.

My 7900 has a one year pro or consumer warranty.

B_Turner said:
The dealer where I bought both my 066 and 395 say of the the two the 395s seem to stand up slightly better even though both are pretty reliable given what people put them through.

So was this a Husky dealer telling you this..

rupedoggy said:
OK if warrantee is a marketing issue and 066s hardly need warrantee work, why doesn't Stihl step up and give the 066 the best warrantee in the world?

Andy is right. Stihl has to look at overall costs, and if the 066/660 platform has been at the low end of warranty expense, they aren't going to have a different program for it. They have to anticipate expenses though. Homeowner saws will take the bulk of the claim hit. So Stihl can sell their saw for less money if they only go one year.

Husky uses the extended warranty as a selling point. So, if their manufacturing costs were the same as Stihl's, they would either have to sell for more money, or cut costs to even it out.

Anyway, both companies make very high quality saws. If the warranty was a really big deal, then Stihl would have very little market share. As it happens, Stihl has a huge market share, and a great reputation for quality. I own both a Stihl and a Husky, so I'm not all that biased, although I think the Stihl is built better, but the Husky is built plenty well.

Mark

04ultra said:
So was this a Husky dealer telling you this..

They sell a lot of both Stihls and Huskys and I have bought both Stihls and Huskies there. They don't seem to push one over the other but my impression the local logger crowd is mostly Stihl.

When I bought the 066 they had me leaning toward the 066 because of it's power to weight. But once I realized how buzzy it is I immediately bought a 395 as well. Still would not give up either one, as each has it's advantages.

04ultra said:
I cant stand that ugly hump on the 395.. looks like its pregnant ..

HEY!! You keep my wife out of this! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah...we're scheduled for the 3rd crumb grabber to arrive early June...:rockn: :jester: :dizzy:

Proud father is accepting saws on behalf of the new arrival! :D

wagonwheeler said:
HEY!! You keep my wife out of this! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah...we're scheduled for the 3rd crumb grabber to arrive early June...:

Best of luck to ya.. :cheers: I'll ship some saws rite away.. :) :)

wagonwheeler said:

Yeah...we're scheduled for the 3rd crumb grabber to arrive early June...:rockn: :jester: :dizzy:

Congrats.

And in terms of my 395, guess I'll have to check the shed every now and then to see if it (she?) has been carrying a 346.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back