3D Printed Piston Circlip Installation Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herborist

Reaction score
Got aggravated about some piston circlips going flying across the garage when building a MS360 kit. Saw there was a Stihl tool available, but was gonna run about 80 bucks for something that is used once every 5 blue moons. The smaller the circlip, the harder to install aparently as my bikes never fought me nearly as bad. There are other manufacturers out there but none make install tools for circlips this small, so decided to warm up the 3D printer and Fusion360.

After printing, was able to install the circlips, offhanded, with the cylinder facing away from me, so I'd say it works pretty solidly. Made a few revisions after the install so should work even better than before. Using PLA+ and playing with some spare rings, I'm imagining you can get a good 10+ installs before the plastic starts to give you an issue.

I've uploaded all my files to thingiverse for anyone interested in printing it out. It's designed for 10mm circlips, which I know are too small for the larger saws such as the MS660 (think those use 12mm circlips) but all files are available for editing to make smaller or larger. I'd imagine this could be used for any size engine within reason.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4625379
circlip-install-tool.jpg

Back