Installing Small Earless Piston Pin Circlips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm stumped and could use a little creativity or prior knowledge here. I am trying to install a new piston as shown in the attached photos. So far after messing with it and a pair of jewelers screwdrivers for about 45 minutes and chasing the clip around the garage floor a couple of times I am no closer to getting it installed. The only good news is that I still have both the new and old clips! I am beginning to learn why Stihl has a special tool for this... which I, unfortunately, don't have.

Tried some small sockets as pushers but the one that fits inside the pin bore allows the clip to ride up and over it while the next one up won't push the clip into the bore.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Steve

IMG_6292.JPG IMG_6294.JPG

3 males in the family.

2 have a hell of a time with circlips, or sometimes get lucky

1 just has a knack

Eventually he was called upon regularly...

The clips can be a bugger. For me, a small flat tip screwdriver (like a tuning screwdriver) works best, especially one with ridges on the blade (it doesn’t slip as much). Work one end in and then lever the rest in. With your third hand guard the area to catch flying clips.

I usually install one clip without the piston mounted.

I prefer not to use pliers (don’t want to mark the clip), although I have..

Spin the clip once mounted to put the open end either up or down. It won’t spin unless it is fully seated in the groove, so spinning the clip is a check for that.

Yup, they are a pita.

I tried to find Reilly s vid on the pliers but couldn't find the vid

Just grind the tip of some small pliers so it grabs at just the tip and will fit into the relief in the piston. Again..it was Reilly s design and it works great

Latest posts

Back