$4,500 saw! STIHL 090AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who would want to pay that sort of money for a chainsaw,what would somebody be thinking....

to be honest,a chainsaw was always one of the more 'basic' tools for man, it consists of a basic two stroke engine with
single cylinder,in fairness 1000 $,£ or euros is enough to pay for any chainsaw,i SAY keep things low cost, no matter how big the buisness it is madness to pay 4500 for a chainsaw,you couldn't pack that sort of mecanical justification in to a chainsaw!!!!! :msp_thumbup:

just my take on it

$4500 can get you a lot more saw than that. I hope no one falls for it.

I think he is dreaming.
I have seen brand new / never started go for $2500.00 to $2800.00. I also noticed no chain brake. It looks like the very early models but I did'nt think they came out with anti vibe?
It did'nt look like the 80's models but I could be wrong.
Definately not worth that much coin in my opinion.

He is really not trying to sell the saw. He wants to get the attention of people who know and have big saws so he can sell the sprockets--read the whole ad. When he first posted the ad, what he was doing was even more obvious but then he added more detail about the saw later to make it look more legit.

Part of me doubts he even owns that saw. If he does, I'm sure he would be really happy getting paid that price.

What's does it have a solid gold crank, connecting rod and piston!! Or wait a flux capacitor so you can go back in time and cut down old growth redwoods!!! For 4,500 it better come with some hot broad to hold while standing on the mantle.....

Here's my 090 story, I am retired from working on a state highway dept recently. We had a huge wind storm in the area several years ago with widespread tree damage. In the area I supervised we had some huge oaks down and in the district supply room they had a 1985 090 with a 59" helper handle bar, the saw had not seen much use in its life with the department so we got her out of mothballs and put it to work. I even ran it for a short time, it had 1/2 chain on it and ran at the speed it was supposed to (I checked it with a tach). I was really disappointed in the speed it cut and the slower engine speed. The dual port 660s with 36" bars would outcut it all day. Don't get me wrong if I could find a 090 cheap I would buy one but for my money a 660 will do all I need and then some! After the storm I converted the 090 to .404 chain and a new 42" bar to make it more useful in most situations but we still have the big bar and chain.
Steve

there was a new one in the oem box that sold for a little over 2500. that would make this over priced.steve

That very same saw sold just just 2 weeks ago for $2299 from canwest_equipment notice the stump its sitting on....

LINK

Yep, same saw alright. Maybe he picked it up "cheap" and is trying to flip it. Or his spouse found out and threatened to castrate him if he didn't get out from under it. At any rate, he is VERY optimistic.

10 / 12 tooth sprockets

I have 8 tooth sprockets for Stihl 090's and they are noticeably bigger than 7 tooth.
I dont know if he would have any clearance issues with 12 tooth sprockets but I would think the bar would have to be wider.
Running 12 tooth sprockets I believe would lead to the chain running further up the bar than at the heel of the bar and would tend to lead to chain derailments , especially at excessive speed.
Bit of a strange add if you ask me.

Yep, same saw alright. Maybe he picked it up "cheap" and is trying to flip it. Or his spouse found out and threatened to castrate him if he didn't get out from under it. At any rate, he is VERY optimistic.

It was a different buyer than this seller. I still wonder if they even have this saw for sale or if this is just a way to get people to read about their sprockets? In any event it did recently sell OR they didn't bother to photograph the actual saw being sold. Something very fishy here beyond the outrageous price.

Back