4 dee or floating dee pros/cons of each...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lawn Shark

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking @ either a 4 dee weaver or a floating dee weaver....whats the pros/cons of a 4 dee compared to the floating dee...The 4 dee is alot cheaper than a floating dee...
I can get a 4 dee weaver for 104$ does that sound about right.

Weaver

4 d IS GREAT TO START ON..WILL MAke you appreciate newer technology while keepo you feeling safe. Go for it...4D wiht a lockign snap and traditional tail tied witha blakes or tautline...same way a million tree climbers started.,.

4 d IS GREAT TO START ON..WILL MAke you appreciate newer technology while keepo you feeling safe. Go for it...4D wiht a lockign snap and traditional tail tied witha blakes or tautline...same way a million tree climbers started.,.

I've tried both aready with no real preference yet.

Fixed versus floating, each has it's merits and short comings. Personal preferance . But the only way to develope a preferance is to climb with both. Everybodies differant.

That being said, I'd buy the floating dee.

I've got a floating dee weaver. I bought it years ago and even though I have newer and more advanced saddles I still use it on takedowns.

I wish the newer saddles were as study built as the old weavers.

I used the 4 D for years and swithched to floating D a year ago.
Definetaly go with the floating D................
FYI spreader snaps on a 4 D are dangerous(unlocking type spreader snaps)

Fixed versus floating, each has it's merits and short comings. Personal preferance . But the only way to develope a preferance is to climb with both. Everybodies differant.

That being said, I'd buy the floating dee.

I've got a floating dee weaver. I bought it years ago and even though I have newer and more advanced saddles I still use it on takedowns.

I wish the newer saddles were as study built as the old weavers.

+1. A personal choice. I am in the 4D camp but I have never tried a floating. I like when I can sit through the line and all that freedom of movement with the lines running up my back.

I originally bought a Weaver but found it to be to uncomfortable. It was my first saddle, so I don't know how I would feel about it now. I have a B'ham and am satisfied with it. However, +1 again on the sturdiness of the Weaver's. I can't imagine what they older sturdier versions are like :cheers: .

I don't think you can really make a wrong choice except for comfort issues. Either will work fine, but fit will likely be more important.

Weaver makes a great saddle to start out with, there are thousands of tree folks that started out on them. Many are still in use. There are more comfortable saddles available, but a safe economic choice is a weaver. As for the floater or not, the float will offer more movement, but can be rough getting used to. I started on a 4 d weaver and moved to a Blair with a floater but the bridge is shorter than the weaver. Most climbers will go through a few saddles until they finally find one that works just right. Sorry this does not help your decision, but picking a saddle is really like picking out shoes, what works for some may not work for another. Be careful.

Back