4 Pics. Winter Trail Building / Fuel Reduction / Pile Burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfrazier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is a four picture sequence on my efforts this fall at some fuel reduction and improved stand access. The heavy slash fuels are the result of where the stand was pre-comercial thinned several years ago, and then just left.
1-Three-Days-Ago.jpg

I'd guess there's 70 tons of fuel per acre in the worst spots, it will rot in given enough time, but there's just too much fire risk for me to tolerate the wait, and I like doing this kind of hand work. It's too time consuming to gain much ground. DO you do this stuff? I'd like to see your pics too.

2-Two-Days-Ago.jpg

I've burned perhaps 20 hand piles this fall, most made during summer when we cant run saws in the west due to fire danger. Yes, a rake (here for scale) was used in final trail grooming, Mr. President. Second growth trees are roughly 65 years old, 20-30" DBH, and are Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar, Grand Fir, Incense Cedar and some minor hardwoods. Stumps of Douglas fir and Cedar old growth still remain, some as wide as seven feet thick. I would have liked too seen it - "stumps don't lie".

3-Yesterday.jpg

Smoke and fog is about all that's left after a good clean burn.

I used some duff layer and an old log to spread a layer of "bark dust" over the trail.
Deer crapped on my trail the very first night. Apple Orchard just beyond the tree line.
I guess it's a success, at least I have less fuel on the ground and better access.
4-This-morning.jpg

No plan to ever cut this stand. Just Stewardship.

Happy trails to you!
I hope you like it.

Latest posts

Back