40" Hollow White Oak Felling.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
I would have to say the axe blade. Before saw's men used axe's which is why it makes it ideal for chopping yourself out in a pinch, limbing, knocking out notches, and driving wedges. A pickaroon isn't going to do any of them well.

I guess I should have clarified, I was talking firewood application. I haven't limbed with an ax since I was a kid. Dad only had one saw, and when he was there, he got to run it. That left me and my bro axes, so that's what we'd use.

I'd say you could definitely knock out a face with a pickaroon... Either with the beak, or the back... And also drive wedges with the back. Then you have the ability to pick and drag large rounds, log lengths, etc.

I don't know... I guess the best is an ax... Otherwise everyone would already be carrying the other.

Signoflife

Signoflife

ArboristSite Operative
Very nice clean job there NB :cheers:

Porcupines should be at the top of the "Tree Huggers" list of most wanted. Those prickly little buggers (the porci's) ruin trees in my area. I didn't notice it in any of you pic's, but here they will attack, mostly hard sugar maple trees by chewing and stripping the bark off and the tree will die in no time.

I don't have any pic's but look at this link

http://www.insectimage.com/Gallery 16/0620_11.html

if you don't stop them they will strip most of the tree right out to the smaller limbs and then move on to find another sweet target.

smokechase II

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well done

May I suggest that with the two big limbs coming back, and this tree being balanced, those cuts looked very good.

In response to the comment about why so many wedges?

With a rind, rotten or missing wood are not wedgable, a line of wedges side by side is possibly the best option.

Wedges side by side work as a team and can be a great idea with any difficult to commit tree.
In this case though, that advantage is overshadowed by the need to bring more supportive wood into play.

================

To keep Clearance quiet.
The bore cut on rotten wood is problematic and the analysis by the faller shows a good understanding of that. The potential for a pinched bar / tree collapse is of course even higher with a balance tree.

In short, my post is of little worth as all I'm doing is agreeing.

With everyone except that bore at all costs Clearance guy.

Teehee

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Very nice clean job there NB :cheers:

Porcupines should be at the top of the "Tree Huggers" list of most wanted. Those prickly little buggers (the porci's) ruin trees in my area. I didn't notice it in any of you pic's, but here they will attack, mostly hard sugar maple trees by chewing and stripping the bark off and the tree will die in no time.

I don't have any pic's but look at this link

http://www.insectimage.com/Gallery 16/0620_11.html

if you don't stop them they will strip most of the tree right out to the smaller limbs and then move on to find another sweet target.

Don't worry, those 2 Porkies didn't make it far as the skidder operator was packing heat. Thanks for the beer:cheers:

Last edited:
Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
May I suggest that with the two big limbs coming back, and this tree being balanced, those cuts looked very good.

In response to the comment about why so many wedges?

With a rind, rotten or missing wood are not wedgable, a line of wedges side by side is possibly the best option.

Wedges side by side work as a team and can be a great idea with any difficult to commit tree.
In this case though, that advantage is overshadowed by the need to bring more supportive wood into play.

================

To keep Clearance quiet.
The bore cut on rotten wood is problematic and the analysis by the faller shows a good understanding of that. The potential for a pinched bar / tree collapse is of course even higher with a balance tree.

In short, my post is of little worth as all I'm doing is agreeing.

With everyone except that bore at all costs Clearance guy.

Teehee

This I can agree with. That tree didn't offer a wedge much to work with so we threw almost everything we had at it and pounded in tandem. I knew I was pushing it on that hinge, but that's what trees like this are about. They don't hand it to ya on a platter like a sound tree with a slight lean to the lay.
Good info Smoke.

Adkpk

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Oh, ho ho she's a beauty or was a beauty. Nice job Nails. I planted a 5" tall white oak just this fall behind the house and hope someday, (I'll be fertilizer by then) she'll be big and casting shade like that one. I have work such as that on my woodlot (kinda the reason I found the AS). Maybe someday I'll have a gtg and we'll all go up there to have a climbing and felling fest. :clap: :D

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Oh, ho ho she's a beauty or was a beauty. Nice job Nails. I planted a 5" tall white oak just this fall behind the house and hope someday, (I'll be fertilizer by then) she'll be big and casting shade like that one. I have work such as that on my woodlot (kinda the reason I found the AS). Maybe someday I'll have a gtg and we'll all go up there to have a climbing and felling fest. :clap: :D

Thank you Adkpk. Felling and climbing? You just show me where to sign.:greenchainsaw:

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice job nails - Hey, buy a beer for the photographer that caught the flying snow when she hit the ground - :clap:

Thanks Mike. I gotta get out of here so I can. I think he did a really nice job. His brother is a proffesional photographer so he knows a little about it. He shot 38 pics or something, I was really happy. I've tried it and treework pics aren't easy to make look nice in the end.:cheers:

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
i havent seen one of them in a long time.thats in real good shape for the yr

My brother takes really good care of it. It's his baby. When he gets it on his gooseneck trailer (that he built), pulling with his Powerstroke (added and built the dumpbox) he is in all his glory. He's a member of this forum now so maybe he will stop in here and enlighten us a little.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Hey Nels how did you know it was hollow like that and had to come down? Something on the outside or what?

Nice work and pics, thanks!

SAW

ArboristSite Member
Nice job and nice equipment

My grandad has a 440 Deere just like that, those are some solid machines

Do you and your brother do much logging??

Latest posts