400c Rumors… or just internet trolls.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a PTO side bearing fails its almost always from some sort of abuse. Especially given low hours as @PV Hiker alluded to.
And yes running less oil than 50:1 is abuse for all those Amsoil zealots.
A fact lost on or not considered by many is that a strato charge saw not only runs hotter, but they also have much less oil going through them.
I have been running amsoil saber 40:1 to see how it does. So far seems to be ok

To do a proper test would require identical wood and an operator very skilled in saw operation. In addition for any sort of valid statistical analysis it would require way more than one cut.
A dynonisnt perfect, but would be more accurate than these half azzed tests.
I was laughing reading that.

I think I would be fine testing anything. I used to run chain build offs and operate the saw over and over. 3-4 cuts and slowest got tossed out.

Even a lot of fun when testing race chains looking for a tenth or even hundredths difference in a chain. ;)

I'm talking most timed cuts were dead on close with each other. Also takes someone that knows how to listen to rpm in the cuts. ;)

I think I would be fine testing anything. I used to run chain build offs and operate the saw over and over. 3-4 cuts and slowest got tossed out.

Even a lot of fun when testing race chains looking for a tenth or even hundredths difference in a chain. ;)

I'm talking most timed cuts were dead on close with each other. Also takes someone that knows how to listen to rpm in the cuts. ;)
You were comparing chains running the same saw. And I know you were running lots of different saws as well in your time.
In most of these videos guys are running 2 different saws with 2 different chains and on top of all that the first thing they do is dog in. When they reset the dogs, they end up re-cutting all the wood that was above the bar. And then the biggest variable is bias. One chain dives into the wood while the other is just slowly burning its way through. It’s amazing that viewers don’t understand that stuff and will believe anything.

Or when they’re racing stock vs ported vids and the harmonic vibrations of the 2 saws turning the same rpm in the cut yet the ported one magically cuts 30% faster. 🙄🧐

Lightning Performance,

From some of your previous answers about technical things on saws, I figure this question might be easily explained by you on some older saws I have.
I know it is not specifically on track here in the 400C thread, but it is top end related. I thought maybe you might have an answer for me.

A few years ago, I bought 2 well used and a little abused, Stihl 1111 series saws. An 075 and an 051. I pulled the top ends off both to find scoring and aluminum transfer so I got OEM top ends for both. The markings are all correct, and the boxes etc, But upon eyeballing things, I found quite different looking cylinders than what I presume were the original factory ones. Basically the differences amount to fatter casting of the fins which leave less air space vs thin fins and more air space on the old ones.

Ever seen this and know why they look different? I can think of one possible reason if I compare what I know about 044 cylinders for example. Mahle vs KS etc. I didn't think to look to see if a different "vendor" made the new ones I got.

Here are 2 examples from ebay that illustrate what I have.

1st pic is thin fin, 2nd is fatter fin. View attachment 1138775

View attachment 1138772
Probably a different casting like these.
20231217_164103.jpg

If money where on the line I would take either of those over an Echo in a saw race.
Me too, owned a 562xp for many years, and a 400 for a few years, cut side by side with the same 620p for the last 5-6 years. No one is going to convince me all 3 being stock the 620, 600sx, 590 or whatever other echo is faster in the cut then a 562xp or ms400.

To do a proper test would require identical wood and an operator very skilled in saw operation. In addition for any sort of valid statistical analysis it would require way more than one cut.
A dynonisnt perfect, but would be more accurate than these half azzed tests.
Three cuts timed on each, same log, all new chains, same bar length same exact make of chain if possible. I dog them in every time because that is how I cut wood in the real world and that is all that matters to me, I ain't at the races I'm out cutting trees for a living. That's how I compare a saws cutting speed and ability.

Three cuts timed on each, same log, all new chains, same bar length same exact make of chain if possible. I dog them in every time because that is how I cut wood in the real world and that is all that matters to me, I ain't at the races I'm out cutting trees for a living. That's how I compare a saws cutting speed and ability.
It was noted you cut the same as a work day.

Me too, owned a 562xp for many years, and a 400 for a few years, cut side by side with the same 620p for the last 5-6 years. No one is going to convince me all 3 being stock the 620, 600sx, 590 or whatever other echo is faster in the cut then a 562xp or ms400.
Never ran a 562 xp , however have enough run time with both Echo 590 & 620 p models & a new Stihl 400 with less than 6 tanks through it , to tell you the Echo's are impressive saws for the buck , however they will not outcut a 400 !

Thats it! Cut how you are going to cut!
There’s no sense timing them then. If you want to test for torque with the dogs, by all means have at it. But if you rock the saw or don’t cut perfectly straight down on the dogs, you are cutting new wood as soon as you reposition. In a 20 inch log, it can be 3 seconds difference in speed

Three cuts has zero statistical validity.

There’s no sense timing them then. If you want to test for torque with the dogs, by all means have at it. But if you rock the saw or don’t cut perfectly straight down on the dogs, you are cutting new wood as soon as you reposition. In a 20 inch log, it can be 3 seconds difference in speed
Tough bunch here, it certainly tells me which saw cuts better.
So all things being equal, then with 2 different saws it still tells me which is faster. Might be interesting to see it be off by 3 seconds too. How do you eliminate the human error with your timed cuts if a machine isn't cutting with the same exact pressure anyway, why can't that method be off?

Take the human out of the test entirely, use a machine to apply a constant force to the saw. Maybe bolt the saw down steady and use a machine to apply wood to the chain.

No three cuts don't matter when you're talking a difference of a rounding error between saws, but if there's significant difference, three cuts is plenty, as long as it's in the same wood.

Take the human out of the test entirely, use a machine to apply a constant force to the saw. Maybe bolt the saw down steady and use a machine to apply wood to the chain.

No three cuts don't matter when you're talking a difference of a rounding error between saws, but if there's significant difference, three cuts is plenty, as long as it's in the same wood.
Sounds reasonaavble to me.

Back