.404 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some may say they feel it stays sharper longer in comparison to the same in .375?
Also a more durable chassis.

If I ever used it then it was 31 yrs ago.
Never used it on my saws.

Depends on what you mean by "large." Most of the loggers around here are running Stihl MS661c saws with 30" to 36" bars and they use 3/8" pitch when cutting mostly big cottonwoods. Years ago when they ran 084s and 880s they used .404 pitch.

I would agree mostly with Pioneer. It takes more HP and torque to pull a 404 effectively. A 660 is better suited for a regular 3/8 because of chain speed however. Then again it also depends on type of wood being cut. I use when ever possible the 404 chain that last longer and needs less filing than pretty much all others. Thanks

Ive gor a 36" 3/8 and 20" .404 for my 660...loves both

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Those 6000 rpms and 404 chain on Stihl 08s cut pretty well all the pulp wood on the millions of acers of forest in Canada during the sixties and seventies. My point is show me another 56cc that will pull 404 chain happily.
Old slow reliable always start well built. has a choke activated govener so you dont worry when you lend it. For a guy cutting fire wood for a year whats the rush ? We are in a marathon not a race.
Kash

Those 6000 rpms and 404 chain on Stihl 08s cut pretty well all the pulp wood on the millions of acers of forest in Canada during the sixties and seventies. My point is show me another 56cc that will pull 404 chain happily.
Old slow reliable always start well built. has a choke activated govener so you dont worry when you lend it. For a guy cutting fire wood for a year whats the rush ? We are in a marathon not a race.
Kash
I wasn't saying it was a bad thing for the size of them they have Boodles of talk it's just that this day & age don't have all day to be bending over with the back like mine

Kash
If you can find a .404 sprocket for my Mac Timber Bear ill run it[emoji16]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Is there any advantage to using .404 chain on large saws?
The .404 sprocket or rim is actually larger by design than 3/8ths so if you compare the 7 pin .404 to a 3/8ths 8 pin they are similar in diameter, but the .404 has less teeth in the same length of chain. Faster chain speed and fewer teeth to sharpen could be considered beneficial.
Available sizes of drivers is a draw back though , vibration is definitely noticeable with it also.
What you consider a "large saw"?
I think it depends on the saw and where it torque curve is, if your running a Poulan 5200 I'd say yes but a 385xp husqvarna? No.
I run various. 404 chains on multiple saws that have different jobs , if you have to clean up stumps after storm damage something like Oregon 27 full skip is gonna blow your socks off ! Its tough as hell and easy to sharpen (mabye not as glorious as dropping redwoods, but sometimes necessary) . I run that on a Homelite super 1050A with a 36" bar.
Obviously I run .404 on my 088 , but only in bigger trees 34" and up DBH and I don't know if it would be any faster with 3/8ths? Honestly its just fun to see 4" French fry sized chips flying out the back of that saw. 6 or 7 cube saws are generally considered "large " but if your version is around 70cc I'd say .404 could be beneficial for longevity (durable) I've used it on a Husqvarna L77, Promac700, Remington Super 754 and Poulan 5200. I mostly use square chisel .050 on them and true chipper chain.
If you haven't tried it before and it's not gonna break the bank for a sprocket, bar, and loop I'd suggest it.
Sorry if I've been long winded in my description of my experience .

The .404 sprocket or rim is actually larger by design than 3/8ths so if you compare the 7 pin .404 to a 3/8ths 8 pin they are similar in diameter, but the .404 has less teeth in the same length of chain. Faster chain speed and fewer teeth to sharpen could be considered beneficial.
Available sizes of drivers is a draw back though , vibration is definitely noticeable with it also.
What you consider a "large saw"?
I think it depends on the saw and where it torque curve is, if your running a Poulan 5200 I'd say yes but a 385xp husqvarna? No.
I run various. 404 chains on multiple saws that have different jobs , if you have to clean up stumps after storm damage something like Oregon 27 full skip is gonna blow your socks off ! Its tough as hell and easy to sharpen (mabye not as glorious as dropping redwoods, but sometimes necessary) . I run that on a Homelite super 1050A with a 36" bar.
Obviously I run .404 on my 088 , but only in bigger trees 34" and up DBH and I don't know if it would be any faster with 3/8ths? Honestly its just fun to see 4" French fry sized chips flying out the back of that saw. 6 or 7 cube saws are generally considered "large " but if your version is around 70cc I'd say .404 could be beneficial for longevity (durable) I've used it on a Husqvarna L77, Promac700, Remington Super 754 and Poulan 5200. I mostly use square chisel .050 on them and true chipper chain.
If you haven't tried it before and it's not gonna break the bank for a sprocket, bar, and loop I'd suggest it.
Sorry if I've been long winded in my description of my experience .
Not really sure that I want to try it. It was more just a curiosity question, than anything else.

Used to have guys that ran .404 on Husky 181's and 2100 on the headers with ground skidded hard woods. They thought it was tougher and stayed sharper longer. This was chipper style (round corner) chain. The fad kinda died out after a while and they all ended up running 3/8'' LP style chisel. I ended up with half a roll of .404 chipper chain and it's still on my 2100. I don't see a big advantage to it over 3/8", but it's definitely a heavier built chain. OTOH, the kerf is wider so that may work against it, but there are less teeth per foot (a fraction probably) so that may be in it's favor. I wouldn't rule it out if I had access to a bunch at a good price, but I wouldn't lose sleep over not being able to get it.

My pennies worth. 404 vs. 3/8'' is very different. As with most things there are pros and cons. With plenty of power and torque 404 is best by far. With a lighter faster saw 3/8 is much better by far. Slower chain speed 404 vs. faster chain speed is a big deal. I only use semi chisel for all my needs. There were days long ago when I cut healthy fresh Pine. For clean wood there is not any thing better than a sharp chisel chain. Thanks

My pennies worth. 404 vs. 3/8'' is very different. As with most things there are pros and cons. With plenty of power and torque 404 is best by far. With a lighter faster saw 3/8 is much better by far. Slower chain speed 404 vs. faster chain speed is a big deal. I only use semi chisel for all my needs. There were days long ago when I cut healthy fresh Pine. For clean wood there is not any thing better than a sharp chisel chain. Thanks
I have to agree. Add to that the fact that the only saw that beat me at a GTG eight years ago was a Husky 394 running 3/8" skip tooth. I was running a well-tuned Stihl 084 with .404 full chisel. Both of us had 36" bars. He was the only one there who ran a little faster while bucking big cottonwood.

Back