.404 pitch for medium saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a brand new 20" Rollo ES bar in .404 with three new skip chains for a very small amount of dough the other day. I noticed that the bar does not have the large mounts to fit the 084. I could mount this on the 460 if I can find the right sprocket rim. What is the purpose of this bar? the # is 000 9721, and it does not show up in my '08 catalog. The sprocket tip is significantly larger than on an ES bar intended for 3/8 pitch chain. A nice wide bar. Wonder what it is used for. :chainsaw:

I know, it's for the 009 when you run 110 AVgas through it with Ultra oil! Now to find a .404 spur sprocket to fit that saw.......:monkey:

Odd-ball bar.... and SKIP 404 on a 20 inch bar LOLOLOL - maybe used for cutting balsa wood?

I'd replace the tip with 3/8, then punch all the chains togther for one of your LONG bars on the 084(s). Oh... you'll need a 404 tip for that bar then ;)

Odd-ball bar.... and SKIP 404 on a 20 inch bar LOLOLOL - maybe used for cutting balsa wood?

I'd replace the tip with 3/8, then punch all the chains togther for one of your LONG bars on the 084(s). Oh... you'll need a 404 tip for that bar then ;)

maybe I could Tig weld the 404 tip onto the 47" hardnose bar I have...........
The tip is significantly larger than the 3/8 tips I have , so I hope a 3/8 is available for it.

I had thought about combining the chains........ I do have a 30" 404 tip bar....

The absurdity of CAD and the realization of that is closing in around me:dizzy:

"Hello, my name is John, and I am a CADdict.":cry: :clap: :dizzy:

Ok, I gotta ask: what is the purpose of the .404 chain? Is it simply a relic of times past when the manufacturing capabilities weren't up to producing a chain that would be reliable, so they made them heavier?

BIG saws, BIG torque, lower RPM, BIG chain bite...
Exactly! A bud just gave me a loop of .404 for a30-35" bar, all I could think of was 'What a waste of wood' (hey I cut firewood man :) )

:cheers:

Serge (and oh, the chain is not too shabby, prol 3/4ths left, anyones for the price of shipping, I'll measure it out, just PM me)

I picked up a brand new 20" Rollo ES bar in .404 with three new skip chains for a very small amount of dough the other day. I noticed that the bar does not have the large mounts to fit the 084. I could mount this on the 460 if I can find the right sprocket rim. What is the purpose of this bar? the # is 000 9721, and it does not show up in my '08 catalog. The sprocket tip is significantly larger than on an ES bar intended for 3/8 pitch chain. A nice wide bar. Wonder what it is used for. :chainsaw:

I know, it's for the 009 when you run 110 AVgas through it with Ultra oil! Now to find a .404 spur sprocket to fit that saw.......:monkey:
If that is the .404 bar that fits a ms 660 you have found a very good bucking set up. I dont have one of the bucking saws here to check the number of the bar or i would . We use .404 20'' full com semi chisel on our ms 660s 650s for bucking logs and it dont cut as fast but you get about 3 times as much cutting time per sharpeing as 3/8 thats why we run it . It also works great in dirty conditions. I use 3/8 most of the time for falling but when the wood is dirty i go with 404. you can get rim sprokets to make it work on a ms 460 but i dont know how well it will pull it ive never tried it. If that bar is what i think it is you have something good .:greenchainsaw: oh i forgot it kicks alittle harder so be careful.

Last edited:
If that is the .404 bar that fits a ms 660 you have found a very good bucking set up. I dont have one of the bucking saws here to check the number of the bar or i would . We use .404 20'' full com semi chisel on our ms 660s 650s for bucking logs and it dont cut as fast but you get about 3 times as much cutting time per sharpeing as 3/8 thats why we run it . It also works great in dirty conditions. I use 3/8 most of the time for falling but when the wood is dirty i go with 404. you can get rim sprokets to make it work on a ms 460 but i dont know how well it will pull it ive never tried it. If that bar is what i think it is you have something good .:greenchainsaw: oh i forgot it kicks alittle harder so be careful.

Sounds like I need a MS 660 or 066 now.......:bang: :bang: :chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange: Which is better, in you guys' opinions?

Sounds like I need a MS 660 or 066 now.......:bang: :bang: :chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange: Which is better, in you guys' opinions?
Id say theres no difference betwen them ive had good luck with both the 650 isnt bad either just lacks a little power.
you just need the dp cover to make them run like there supose to.:cheers:

Last edited:
404 chain takes alot more abuse and there is more filing life in the bigger cutter too. I got a 100 ft. roll of the old Oregon 50AL saw chain. [.050,chisel-bit, no safety .404 chain.] All the 404 chain today is .063. In my neck of the woods locally sold bars under 32" for small block Stihls [660 and under] are .050. I have run a loop of the .404 50 AL on my 066 with a 24" .050 Oregon Powermatch with .404 tip and she cuts real nice.I even have a couple of 36" Powermatch 3/8 .050 bars which can easily be converted to .404. Using it in my tree service I don't bother with the square file ,just use the 7/32" [holds an edge longer.]
Bailey's sells Windsor and Oregon .063 bars from 16" up for the small block Stihls,plus .404 tips and rims.

Last edited:
With a wealth of .404 chain for two 066s and an Alaskan this post sure does make a fellow feel bad. :(

I guess I need to get with the times.

Back