.404 vs 3/8 hardnose bar ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Wood

Go hard or go home
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i noticed it says .404 on my new 28" hardnose .063 husqvarna bar and it got me wondering if theres any specific reason for them to stamp .404 on the bar, i thought 3/8 and .404 with 0.063 gauge can share same bars ?

unless 0.063 gauge bar comes with 2 different groove height bar for .404 and 3/8, can some one explain ?

If the bar has a drive link number stamped into it then it would be that number of drive links in .404.

For the most part the pitch of chains is interchangeable on hard tips as long as the gauge is the same. The are some non typical exceptions such as trying to run .404 on a small radius intended for .325 tip, while it may run it will wear everything prematurely. The same can be said for running .325 on an old school beaver tail bar, it will go but it get loose fast compared to the 1/2" or such that was intended to crawl around the tip.

If the bar has a drive link number stamped into it then it would be that number of drive links in .404.

For the most part the pitch of chains is interchangeable on hard tips as long as the gauge is the same. The are some non typical exceptions such as trying to run .404 on a small radius intended for .325 tip, while it may run it will wear everything prematurely. The same can be said for running .325 on an old school beaver tail bar, it will go but it get loose fast compared to the 1/2" or such that was intended to crawl around the tip.

now that makes alot more sense. im running 3/8 on that bar so i guess the drive links count wont matter ?

thats what i thought, heard that part too. i usually dont mess with that kinda stuffs

Back