42", 148 ft BCottonwood over top of 'house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Dropped a bigger BC last week to clear the way for this guy that was a big leaner.

Cabled this guy up bigtime (1 3/8 and 2 ea 1/ cable to the side to prevent drop onto 31 ft high pump house tower.

PS, can you only attach one pix per post here??
That's the reason for multiple posts, couldn't figure out ohow to do multiples other than a collage.

Neighbor who is 81 wanted to use his 28" 360 on one more big tree.

Figured about 15000 ft-# or torque on the lean, so put 3 cables on the side to prevent it from falling into the pumphouse.

Also leaning about 5 degrees away from fell direction in addition to limb weight, so setup about a 50 kip cable for pullover to be sure.

Fell 5 degrees off hinge angle (left a 10 inch thick hinge) but was held by the sway cables.
Wife spent 2 weeks 30 years ago at bedside for one miscalculation, she was happy this one was only 5 degrees off.

Impressive work, Art. I'd like to meet ya sometime....you also should look up Rotax Robert,who lives in Cumberland. He's been AWOL from ASite lately....

Here's his toy:

A 148 foot black cottonwood over a house? And you ask that Guy??? My my, good fella, those trees don't belong ANYWHERE near a house...much less a road, playground, landscape. Period! Major limb hazard at all times, especially summer limb drop hazard, and of course any wind snow or ice.

No major defect? Hmm, how about 1/3 of canopy gone...obvious stubs, even more tip weight and legginess than many BC's....

Aargh

Took it down primarily 'cause it's an area the grandkids like to play, plus it dropped 3 or more 6" dia or bigger branches in an ice storm this winter.

Never walked under it with any kind of wind. 3 years ago was sitting 200 ft away on a cleqr calm day when it sounded like the neighbors target practicing with heavy arrows. Thuck, thunk, etc. ... about 5 minutes later, crash, a big 8" branch came down not 5 ft from the pump house. Dropped an even bigger BC the week before just to get a clear drop zone.

Its predjudice pure and simple Guy those ???? things dont belong anywhere except next to a river which I aint around. Big fast growingweak, heavy wood always some moron around who doesnt get near enough green for the work. The absolute worst place is next to a structure that has value. Its a pioneer species Guy its done enough now it must die.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Why are Cottonwoods always so freaking big? Them, and Red Oaks. :confused:

Very true, but at least Red Oaks have a lot more strength. Next to Willows, I think Cottonwoods have the lowest module of rupture. I hate dealing with those big son of a guns. But it seems like 50% of the trees out here are good ole Populus Deltoides.

Kenn:Monkey:

the trees we hate the most overhere are LOMBARDY poplars talk about weak branches..we have got lots of them overhere upto 130 ft i like too be roped in 3 places on these big weeds...overhere they usualy grow multi stemned..which make it all the worse..lombardy poplars where origanaly grown in the uk for wood used to make matches..bryant& may planted them all over..ive got a job too reduce 9 large poplars they where topped a 50 then let to grow up too a 100 ft..and thers no room for a bucket ..also they where planted too close together and at the base i bet there less than 28 inches in diameter...not a job im relishing..but i will post pics of that one

Last year, I removed an appx 125 foot lombardy, that was maybe 2 feet dbh, and 25 years young! Also did a more wolfy one with 3.5x4.5 foot butt, 120 feet tall, and maybe 35 years old. filled the truck with chips. Wiley_P and I shared climbing duties on that one....I got kicked up into the tree after I had done some sloppy rope work....

When I get down near the tree, I'll snap and post some pics of what may be the largest lombardy in the world...at least in the Western Hemisphere. It is now over 140 feet tall, and by now is probably over 32 feet in circumference at breast height.

10-11 years ago, we took down the second largest I've ever seen, from my neighbor's back yard..after one of the 130 foot leaders took out another neighbor's new addition. The six 3-4.5 foot trunks combined to form a lower trunk mass close to nine feet wide. Glad it fell to the northwest and not southwest....that's me!

As well, I never finished the bid on 4 of 5 poplars that another company had bid $25,000 on for all 5. The job can wait till next winter..I aint dealing with these bad boys till the sap is down and leaves are off...too late now. Mighty close quarters as you can see.

A more normal perspective:
Now you can see that we'll have to block one lane of road for two days. And do a lot of lowering off spindly tops....I can get a small crane in, not a big one I don't think--primaries a bit close, but maybe I can use this one company that has a 23 tonner with 105 feet of boom..still not enough unless they'll fly the jib...for the light tops that might work.

Latest posts

Back