440 & 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tractor

I would like to have a skidder, even a small one. I would also like to have a tractor, disc, drill, brush hog, etc, etc.

Once I get the main part of the logging done, I may try to sell the track loader and get a tractor (If that point ever comes). I would try to do the pulp wood next. It's just not cost/time effective to skid pulpwood with a track machine.

Yep, that's what to do. If you get a tractor get atleast 60hp. I can get going pretty good in my 60hp JD 2440. I can only pull prolly.....well lets put it this way a 32" at butt green white oak and 17" on small end and 16'6" long. That's pretty heavy, especially for a 60hp tractor. I lift up one end of the log with the hydraulics and off I go. I guess you could say I use the same setup style of logging that gypo does. I've done things with that tractor that I didn't think it would do. I pulled a 30' cherry stem once that was 20" at butt and 16" on small end, I never thaught it would do it but it did. I have pulled heavy enough that I floated the front wheels comming into the landing a couple times though. Which is why I need a skidder, I love my buddy's skidder!!:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Yep, that's what to do. If you get a tractor get atleast 60hp. I can get going pretty good in my 60hp JD 2440. I can only pull prolly.....well lets put it this way a 32" at butt green white oak and 17" on small end and 16'6" long. That's pretty heavy, especially for a 60hp tractor. I lift up one end of the log with the hydraulics and off I go. I guess you could say I use the same setup style of logging that gypo does. I've done things with that tractor that I didn't think it would do. I pulled a 30' cherry stem once that was 20" at butt and 16" on small end, I never thaught it would do it but it did. I have pulled heavy enough that I floated the front wheels comming into the landing a couple times though. Which is why I need a skidder, I love my buddy's!!:greenchainsaw:

I use my Kubota M7040 which has filled rear tires and iron rims to really add some weight to a machine that starts at about 4600 lbs. I attach straps to the hooks on my bucket lift the thick end of the trunk about 2 feet off the ground and tight in to the bucket and drag them out in reverse, which works fine for me because I'm not going to set any speed records either way. There is no way that I will bring those filled rear tires and iron rims up and over the front wheels no matter how big the tree.

Hugenpoet

Latest posts

Back