441 Decomp/plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek9tim

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I'm having trouble with dummies at work not being able to start the 441s right with the decomp, in that if you use the decomp, you have to pull the saw over faster to get it to fire, and if someone is going to use the decomp they can't pull very fast to begin with, so the saw ends up flooding. So I'm looking at taking them out to make the saws more idiot resistant. They have a really easy pull, even my 115 pound girlfriend can fire one up without the decomp. I don't have an IPL for the 441, but I was wondering if the decomp plugs for the older stihls still work for the new saws. Also considered putting a zip tie around the shaft of the valve so it couldn't get pushed in, but I'm not too sure about heat. Anybody have any thoughts?

Good question... It's the same decomp as the 361, but neither IPL shows an optional plug. I'll have to dig deeper... They are need for vac testing so there must be one available!

You could just write on the top of the saw "Leave the damn decomp alone", but... ;)

Thanks Andy... Yeah, the fix for now is a zip tie and sharpie. Our saws get cleaned with solvent every now and again, so the sharpie won't last, and I'm not entirely sold on the zip tie, so I'll continue the order for the plugs. Again, thanks for digging that up for me.

Yep - 1122 025 2200 - same on all stihl saws! Found it in the service manual.

Zip tie would work fine!

ill admit having never looked at the plug, but id imagine that it has some form of a standard thread, couldnt you use a npt, bst, metric...etc threaded plug?

I have no problem starting my 066 without using the decomp, see no reason for having them at all on smaller saws. I think you have made a good call.

P.S. How many users here use the decomp? I think it's a bell/whistle that does not have a real purpose, especially on small saws like the 036/361..........maybe I'd feel different if I was a <100 lb girl.

Do wish they had something back in the days of haying with a self powered baler. The old 18 hp Wisconson motor was a b!tc# to get started

I have no problem starting my 066 without using the decomp, see no reason for having them at all on smaller saws. I think you have made a good call.

P.S. How many users here use the decomp? I think it's a bell/whistle that does not have a real purpose, especially on small saws like the 036/361..........maybe I'd feel different if I was a <100 lb girl.

Do wish they had something back in the days of haying with a self powered baler. The old 18 hp Wisconson motor was a b!tc# to get started

I use the decomp on my 066 when it's cold... but not when hot. On my 088 - ALWAYS!

Don't usually bother with the rest of the decomps. They definitely start better without the decomp - heat from the compressed air helps.

I use the decomp on my 066 when it's cold... but not when hot. On my 088 - ALWAYS!

Don't usually bother with the rest of the decomps. They definitely start better without the decomp - heat from the compressed air helps.

I'm the same with my 395xp, use the decomp when cold, don't usually bother when hot...a lot of the saws at work (395, 066) actually have decomp buttons that are siezed thru lack of use...

So I'm having trouble with dummies at work not being able to start the 441s right with the decomp, in that if you use the decomp, you have to pull the saw over faster to get it to fire, and if someone is going to use the decomp they can't pull very fast to begin with, so the saw ends up flooding. So I'm looking at taking them out to make the saws more idiot resistant. They have a really easy pull, even my 115 pound girlfriend can fire one up without the decomp. I don't have an IPL for the 441, but I was wondering if the decomp plugs for the older stihls still work for the new saws. Also considered putting a zip tie around the shaft of the valve so it couldn't get pushed in, but I'm not too sure about heat. Anybody have any thoughts?

And these guys run saws, c'mon. I can start all saws, the decomp is so the saw makers can go cheap on the starter parts, isn't that the real reason? Just another thing to go wrong. But them old 2100s can be a pain, especially when I was young.

If you're worried about the plastic tie getting brittle from whatever:

Maybe a very small metal stainless steel pipe clamp would do the trick. Under a buck and no chemical cleaning, heat, or ultraviolet degeneration worries.

Just a thought.

No a Zip tie wont melt there,,,,

You don't think a zip tie would melt in that spot?

The decomp has a plastic button on the top, also with a rubber seal that surrounds it as it transitions the Plastic air shroud,,, A good Name brand Like ty-rap or thomas Betts are good to around 200+ deg F which should be fine!!!
and cheap!!!!

Back