455 rancher??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gremlin

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
just wondering how some of the pros feel about the husky saws? I just purchased a 455 rancher for a really good price. kinda foaming at the mouth to get it out and start cutting. feedback would be greatly appreciated

just wondering how some of the pros feel about the husky saws? I just purchased a 455 rancher for a really good price. kinda foaming at the mouth to get it out and start cutting. feedback would be greatly appreciated

Sap is back, arghh. Husky saws are good, the XP ones that is, they are the pro Huskies.

sap is back???
i have used huskys before but never the bigun. guess ill find out soon enough

ha ok kewl. i have a thing for saws period. something bout the sound of them. maybe its just the gear head in me:chainsawguy:

...an unbelievably long story, both forwards (sap) and backwards (pas)...

...so very unbelievable long that there even was a second coming of the latter (resurrectedpas)... That particular chapter, however, was short.

gremlin: pros usually uses either Stihl or Husky, so it seems they are considered OK. Good luck with your new saw.

thanks everyone. i have that rancher now and several other saws. only three are good quality. the new rancher and two stihls. for some reason people love to give me old saws. i dont know how many poulans i have =:)chainsawguy:

Gremlin,
I have a 455 and picked it up in the midst of the whole SAP thing which happened to be the time I found this site. Thought I had bought a turd reading all the "stories" but in the end I have been very pleased with the 455. :hmm3grin2orange:

iv always liked the husky saws. the company i used to work for cleared there own paths for roads and what not. they always used huskys and we never had to repair them just the routine services. had one fella that abused the crap out of a 365 (i think) and it never failed. so time will tell how this saw works for me. heck its brand new been used twice and i picked it up for a benjerman. cant complain right??

Last spring at the farm show I picked-up a new 455. I did not need the saw, but it came with 20”bar/chain, two extra loops, and a hat (the hat got me) for $299. Besides the cracked gas tank that came with the saw it has worked very well. It is not an XP and will not work like one. The saw has worked very well for limbing. I seem to start the day off limbing with 455, then 520i, then 026, and when the 137 gets to heavy I call it a day. You bought a good saw. Keep your chain sharp, don’t push the saw to hard, stay on top of the maintenance, and don’t let any one barrow it and the saw will last you a life time. Best of luck.

Just curious, this IS the mills and milling forum, right? Anyone ever milled with a 455?

Sometimes I think my 066 is too small................wouldn't consider it with my 036....................the 056 is slow but has lots of grunt.........

Just curious, this IS the mills and milling forum, right? Anyone ever milled with a 455?

Sometimes I think my 066 is too small................wouldn't consider it with my 036....................the 056 is slow but has lots of grunt.........

My experience is that you can even mill with a small 35-40cc saw IF...IF...IF your chain is sharp and you're milling small stuff only and you just take it real easy going down the log. Sap milled small dia cedar with his 455 if I recall. However, the power requirements for milling are not linear. In other words, although you can get away with milling 6-8 inch pine or cedar logs with a relatively small saw, moving up into 10-12 inches requires double the power. Mill something 20 inches and over and you definitely need a big bore 100cc class saw. I got away with milling 18-20 inch cherry and oak for a while with a 440 Magnum... it worked but was just slow, and as soon as the chain got even a little dull, it would bog down and remind me I was sending a boy to do a mans job.

Mad Professor,
Yes, I have milled with my 455! When I first got my Alaskan mill I tried to mill with my Jonsered 920 and a chain that I had modified to a ripping chain myself. Being a newbie to chain grinding I didn't quite get the cutters on both sides of the chain the same and it only went 8" into the log and stopped dead as it wedged. I desperately wanted to try my mill so I strapped my 455 in and let it rip on 12" white pine. Other than the gnarly surface it left due to the use of a cross cut chain it worked well. My opinion is that it would be fine on small softwoods but I definately wouldn't attempt hardwood with it. My only concern with the 455 on abusive cutting is the fact that the crankcase lower half is made of plastic.

Dave

Back