Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basorrells

Reaction score
I have a Husq 455 Rancher, I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find what I need. What is the longest bar I can put on this machine to use with an Alaskan Sawmill?

Additional, since I can't seem to find anything that says this saw will handle 42-48" cut. What are some recommendations for a saw and bar/blade combo for using with an alaskan saw mill. I recently cleared about a good bit of land with a lot of Oaks, Ash and Pecan and I'd like saw it up into lumber, but I am not interested in purchasing an actual portable saw mill for this.

Thanks

Your 455 will not like you for making a milling saw of it... it would make a far better trimming saw to complement a +70cc pro grade saw.
If you were to use it for milling the longest bar you could put on it would be 24" & you would loose at least 6" to the mill frame so even optimistically the widest cut you could get would be no more than 18"... & if you're milling hard wood even that will be extremely taxing on that saw

Insulting members for sincere questions is a violation of our terms of use.
I have a Husq 455 Rancher, I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find what I need. What is the longest bar I can put on this machine to use with an Alaskan Sawmill?

Additional, since I can't seem to find anything that says this saw will handle 42-48" cut. What are some recommendations for a saw and bar/blade combo for using with an alaskan saw mill. I recently cleared about a good bit of land with a lot of Oaks, Ash and Pecan and I'd like saw it up into lumber, but I am not interested in purchasing an actual portable saw mill for this.

Thanks
You have chosen to buy a Husqvarna 240 14" limb saw, and try to mill with a $100 machine. Stupid.
You have chosen to buy a Husqvarna 455 maxed out with a 24" set-up, to mill with a $400 machine. Stupider.
Milling lumber for firewood? Milling lumber for profit? If you stand to gain monetarily, BUY a $1000 milling saw.

No disrespect. Your are not alone in the category ............

You have chosen to buy a Husqvarna 240 14" limb saw, and try to mill with a $100 machine. Stupid.
You have chosen to buy a Husqvarna 455 maxed out with a 24" set-up, to mill with a $400 machine. Stupider.
Milling lumber for firewood? Milling lumber for profit? If you stand to gain monetarily, BUY a $1000 milling saw.

No disrespect. Your are not alone in the category ............
Was asking a question as a first timer. Not stupid.
I found the combination I needed and purchased it, a Husqvarna 395xp, cut with it all day and it worked excellent. Thankful there were some excellent members that were willing to help instead of just posting moronic replies.

Have the day you deserve. No disrepect but your reply was STUPID!

Yes basorrells, there are some wonderful members on this site who are willing to help people with honest questions. They have a plethora of experience and information and will kindly share it. Unfortunately, Captain Bruce isn't one of them. Nearly every post he makes is full of wise *ss comments that degrade someone and aren't at all helpful. He's shown himself (at least to me) to be an old, mean spirited a**hole.

Was asking a question as a first timer. Not stupid.
I found the combination I needed and purchased it, a Husqvarna 395xp, cut with it all day and it worked excellent. Thankful there were some excellent members that were willing to help instead of just posting moronic replies.

Have the day you deserve. No disrepect but your reply was STUPID!

A 395XP is a very capable milling powerhead.

Just remember that the listed size of a CSM is the rail length, not the mills capacity, and to maximize the capacity of the mill, you will need a bar approximately 6” longer than the mill’s listed size

Just Ignore Captain Bruce, most of us do as well 😉

Doug 😎

A 395XP is a very capable milling powerhead.

Just remember that the listed size of a CSM is the rail length, not the mills capacity, and to maximize the capacity of the mill, you will need a bar approximately 6” longer than the mill’s listed size

Just Ignore Captain Bruce, most of us do as well 😉

Doug 😎
I settled on a 36" bar an yesterday used it to mill some white oak, cedar, pine and pecan. It took a few cuts to get the hang of it, but once I did, we had a blast. The biggest stuff was 24" oak and it moved through it with little issue at all.

Complete setup I settled on:

Husqvarna 395xp
Husqvarna Genuine 596689615 36" 3/8 .063
8TEN Ripping Chainsaw Chain 36 Inch .063 3/8 115DL
Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill MKIV, G778-36

A few things I found I didn't like.

1.) I have to remove the saw from the mill to adjust the chain.
2.) That particular chain I purchased seemed to need a lot of adjusting.
3.) This saw has a drinking problem :), had to refuel and oil every second cut.

Brian

Yes basorrells, there are some wonderful members on this site who are willing to help people with honest questions. They have a plethora of experience and information and will kindly share it. Unfortunately, Captain Bruce isn't one of them. Nearly every post he makes is full of wise *ss comments that degrade someone and aren't at all helpful. He's shown himself (at least to me) to be an old, mean spirited a**hole.
I appreciate it, but honestly I didn't pay it much attention.

You can't fix someone that doesn't know the difference ignorance and stupidity and then attempts to belittle others over it. It must suck to be miserable.

Brian

Latest posts

Back