455 RancherII Auto Tune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"has 1 bar stud like the 450"

This is curious...the '07 455 Rancher I bought came with a 20" bar and two bar studs...

I just can't imagine the reasoning to just have one bar stud on anything over 16"..??
:cheers:
J2F

"has 1 bar stud like the 450"

This is curious...the '07 455 Rancher I bought came with a 20" bar and two bar studs...

I just can't imagine the reasoning to just have one bar stud on anything over 16"..??
:cheers:
J2F

Think of it as one bar stud and two other supporting studs without the nuts..............crap sounds like a bad joke, but its a system that works.

any chance these things will ever be shipped with a disc in the *owners* kit
that has at least a minimum runrable, software flash?
Looked over at thread about the magic tune http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/195076.htm
and seems the carb/chip comes blank and you gotta go online to get software to load on it.

Just not thrilled at being at the mercy of manufacturer that could withhold or discontinue the software at any whim.
oh and even Discontinued software still falls under copyright rules.

any chance these things will ever be shipped with a disc in the *owners* kit
that has at least a minimum runrable, software flash?
Looked over at thread about the magic tune http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/195076.htm
and seems the carb/chip comes blank and you gotta go online to get software to load on it.

Just not thrilled at being at the mercy of manufacturer that could withhold or discontinue the software at any whim.
oh and even Discontinued software still falls under copyright rules.

Arr matey, that's why there be pirates!
HAHAHAHA

Actually, this is why I am an open source nerd. I have little use for "products" that can be given copyright AND patents. That's pure BS, one or the other, but not both!

I am also not a fan of this 1s and 0s "artificial scarcity" business model they have. Different subject that is major league rant worthy, so I ain't gonna go there..

I agree with you in practice, there is no reason the owner of the tool can't have some minimal repair facilities at hand, simple USB cable and some factory default settings would be something at least. Heck, even ten buck cheap phones have some way to reset to defaults available to the owner.

I am also amazed they charge the DEALERS for this crap! WTF, a two buck cable and a 25 cent stamped DVD? They want how much for that?? And they charge them for some of the online courses, too, from what I hear, folding money.

Neat tech, but it is gonna bite them in the a$$ets if they continue to be richard craniums about it.

The car companies tried this stuff, OEM parts only, no info on repairs, etc and they got beat eventually and now you can at least get some info with a generic OBD reader and get aftermarket parts, including all or most of the computer jazz.

Someone is gonna sue the saw companies for similar access, and my guess is, good enough lawyer and prior precedent, the saw companies gonna lose in court. That's a guess, but...if the car companies couldn't keep their precious, I doubt diddly squat much smaller OPE companies will be able to pull it off past the first lawsuit.

Yeah, your at the heart of why I won't use "cloud computing' stuff.
If there's not a down loadable file and *ALL* the things needed to set it into operation
on an offline, air gapped (and no wifi either ) box, Then I don't use it.

Sometimes have tried setting the bios clock ahead a few years/decades to see if it quits working.
seen too many things that stopped working after X many day/month.

Usage counters are the main thing that concerns me with this Auto-Tronic stuff.
any of you guys that know what they are will know why.
arbitrary number of starts and it goes to "check engine light" mode
i.e. needs dealer service setting.
hmm, did ya mod that muf or anything else?
you think getting a carb tool is an irritation? wait till your saws are tied to this stuff.

Yeah the idea of 2 coil shapes on the shelf
and maybe 3 carb bodies for your dealer to have to stock, does have an appeal.
and the tweaking potential for a while sounds interesting too
but at what eventual price.

i guess the forestry/timber crowd will embrace the button cell needed to keep the GPS module alive.
hey, after all it keeps track of the folks who swear they didn't illegally cut that wood, right?
and only adds 3/5 of an oz to the saw.

plus you can post it to facebook since your smartphone will sync with it too and automatically
send it to lol-catz (.99 per post, data rates may apply, see your service provider for final cost)
status update - "I'm in ur wuds cuttin uor treez"

Coming soon?... Ceiling Cat is watching you mod your muf! http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/ceiling.jpg

- - -
sorry guys, I woke up waaay too early and plus a rant needs a little humor sometimes.

Last edited:
Nice saw, but how does it restart when warm?

They start very easy if you follow the directions. I have to admit I had some trouble at first but once I actually followed what to do it started without trouble. Kinda felt like an idiot after I found out.:bang:

Well if I read the manual I found online for those saws, the 465 Rancher II is basically the same specs as the MS391 (64.1cc, 4.4hp) with a bit less weight (13.4lbs.) and of course the Auto Tune.

OWNERS MANUAL 455 RANCHER II, 460 RANCHER II, 465 RANCHER II

I'd like to see the price. The 391 w/25" bar is under $600.

NOTE: I will stipulate to all the reasons to go pro version of a saw. BUT, I'm 65 years old, recently retired, and this saw will not be used as the main saw, that goes to my 353 with 18" bar. I need to spend less where possible, and a farmer friend I know uses his 2012 MS391 a lot and likes it for what it is.

I've had them since March. Sold a few. ( @ $419) No problems at all to report so far. Haven't really cut with one yet, so I can't say how they feel vs the regular 455. I think the single bar nut really doesn't matter as long as the other two studs are there. Only negative is that if you lose the one nut, you're done. No running with one missing in a pinch as with saws that have two nuts. And the new models also get the snap top cover which is also a plus. It's a little nicer looking saw overall, but it's surprising how few external parts will interchange. Top cover, fuel tank, starter, clutch cover, brake handle. It also has the 562 style on-off/choke control. They really changed a bunch of stuff. And don't forget those nice flippy caps that don't require foul language to operate. :msp_thumbup:

I'm not expecting the new 460 and 465 until 1st quarter of next year. Should learn more at next months meeting. I'm thinking the larger displacement makes this chassis more than a little interesting. 65cc plus autotune should be a real good running saw that could surprise a few folks. It will be interesting to see how it performs against the 555/562. :msp_razz:

My GUESS is that the regular 460 will go away, and the regular 455 might hang around for a while as a price point unit. The typical Rancher customer generally won't want to pay extra for the AT version. But I know the intention is to go to all AT with these saws.

Back