45cc saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going with the ms241 as well. Get it, youll be happy, problem solved! [emoji1824]
Is the 241 still available? I haven’t seen it on the shelves here.
I just ran 500 tanks through 3 261 Arctics 4 person crew, with only an oiler problem on one saw but fixed it by filing back the limiter.
Lightness and power are everything when dumping small trees.

Is the 241 still available? I haven’t seen it on the shelves here.
I just ran 500 tanks through 3 261 Arctics 4 person crew, with only an oiler problem on one saw but fixed it by filing back the limiter.
Lightness and power are everything when dumping small trees.

You’re right. I’ve seen some guys buying them up locally and selling here or used ones but that’s it

Edit: I love my Ms261cm. It’s a great saw and very light...in my opinion of course.

Trying to find my other half a saw..looking in the 40 to 45cc and 16 or 18...she wants to keep it as light as possible without it beig too slow in snaller wood.....we prefer stihl but open to huskys also what model do you guys and or gals prefer in this range?? We will pribbaly buy used or trade just tryinf to see what smaller models have a good rep... I havent much knowledge or info running saws around this size thanks for any info

What kind of wood will she be cutting and how much unnecessary weight will she be ok with carrying around?

RIMG0086.JPG

Poulan Pro 4218. Available at TSC for $160. Easy to start clamshell. Cheap and easy to find/replace BnC. Same big box design that's been out for decades. Hard to kill. Has spring anti-vibe. My Craftsman version should be dead cause I didn't know how to run it when I bought it. Now that I've become an enthusiast, it's a joy to own and operate. Mine is tool-less tension, which in my ignorance I thought was good. The PP has two nuts and side adjust with scrench like a real, modern saw. I'll probably get one just to have. Keep a sharp chain on it and it will rock.

He's speaking of the Poulan Pro. That weight is with BnC. Add BnC to the Echo and it's the same. And twice the price. I'm sure it's a better saw but the PP will get the job done.

Yeah that’s definitely not the powerhead weight as the larger 5020 is under 11 lbs!

( I put the empty power head on the scales right away and found its no super light weight as it tipped the scales at 12lbs 6oz ) He's talking about the 5020, way to heavy for a 50cc saw. If the PP4218 weighs 13.2# with the bar and chain it will be over 14# full of fuel and oil, A Echo CS400 weighs 13# even full of fuel and oil on a good scale and will smoke a PP4218 in cutting speed and everything else. Steve

As happens on a lot of these posts, we seem to have lost the OP @jasonw0586 along the way. Lots of opinions but no guidance on what he (actually she which may be different) is looking for.

I'm not so sure I'm buying that she'll be busy sawing 3-4 days a week.If so, a pro level saw is probably the answer. For occasional use I think Echo has a lot to offer.
MS250 isn't a bad option either, although starting it cold may be a real challenge for her. It is for me!

MS 250 is a great light weight saw.Much better than the price and homeowner classification might suggest.
It is,as already noted,a little hard to pull the rope when starting.Also,on mine,if you miss the first "burp"on choke,you can flood it.Once you keep that in mind,though,it's a great saw at around a 10lb powerhead weight.
If you can afford an MS 261 or 241 for your use,they may well be the best way to go.Pro grade saws which will last a long time.
Catch the MS250 on sale at @300.00 and you can buy it for about half of the others.
A lot of decisions and depends on your personal wants or needs.

( I put the empty power head on the scales right away and found its no super light weight as it tipped the scales at 12lbs 6oz ) He's talking about the 5020, way to heavy for a 50cc saw. If the PP4218 weighs 13.2# with the bar and chain it will be over 14# full of fuel and oil, A Echo CS400 weighs 13# even full of fuel and oil on a good scale and will smoke a PP4218 in cutting speed and everything else. Steve

I believe you. I went back and read that 5020 thread also. I was just pointing out that the 4218 might be a good, low cost option for a backup sawyer (with a backup saw) just for firewood. My little Craftsman version I bought 10 years ago survived ME beating it up and neglecting it. I put a 16-inch BnC on it and it does pretty good.

Back