46/20 or 50/20 or 55/18 Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLHX Storm

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Lost somewhere in the mountains of the southeast!
I keep thinking I need another backup chainsaw and have been looking around checking the different models. Sure I would love to have a 70 or 80+ cc model, but I doubt I could handle them anyway. I would love and Echo, Stihl, or Husky but I'm not made of money either.

My PoulanPro 46/20 has served me well even in cutting though the stump of an oak measuring 27" at it's base. So I am considering another which would twin this one. (I could pick this one up for $135) N yeah, I know, I buried the chain in the dirt removing that one, but it was worth it to remove that 4 foot in height stump. The cutters sharpened back up good as new after which I bucked it into 16" rounds which I have since split.
View attachment 267698

View attachment 267699

But I see a model 50/20 with the same size chain which is tempting but 4cc's is not a negligible difference plus it has that bulb primer which I don't particularly care for. I have it on my 42/18 and the opening for the bulb isn't large enough for me to stick my gloved finger in so I either have to use a stick or take my glove off. (I could pick this one up for $170)

Then there is a Troy Built 55/18 but it only has an 18 inch bar. (This one goes for $250)

I keep arguing with myself that I don't need a backup since I have the 18inch even if it's not in the best of shape. You wouldn't be either if you had a tree fall on you. Actually first a tree fell on the carrying case, and a couple of years later a tree fell on the saw itself. I replaced the bar and chain since they were bent, but never ordered the chain brake handle because any kickbacks were minimal since I keep both hands on the chainsaws at all times with a firm grip, and watch what I'm doing.

If the 55cc had a longer bar, I would likely scoop it up, but I'm not willing to invest what it would take for it to have a longer bar not including a new bar and chain.

So, given those choices what would your opinions be?

If it was me wondering what to do in your situation, I would take that same $250.00 clams and head to the Trading Post section of this forum. You can find it just above the Chainsaw section. You will find a much much better saw for that same money than any of these you have mentioned. It will probably be a used saw, or a rebuilt one, but still far better than your other options. There are a couple guys on here that sell some super nice Huskys fairly cheap.

Ted

+1 on Ted's advice. You can always look on eBay and capitalist as well. Try limiting your search to the local area so you can try the saw out before dropping $ on it. Plenty of rancher 55's out there.

FLHX, Don't know if you would consider used saws or not. I think one of these would be perfect for ya. I use this, as my light weight saw. A Poulan Pro Super 380. 60cc, 20" bar 3/8 chain. ( no primer button) LOL, The green & black version of this saw is the 3750. A slightly older version of the 380, is the PP365. Same size, 60cc.
I use Poulan 4000's with 20" & 24" bars, and this 380, for most of my firewood cutting. I have bigger saws also for when the need or want arises.:) But then your getting into heavier saws too.
Just a thought.

PP380001.jpg

Here is a video of it cutting.
[video=youtube;mZqXWWRCd5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZqXWWRCd5M&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

:cheers:
Gregg,

If the Troybuilt is the one i'm thinking of there is a safety recall on it for the top handle breaking. If memory serves me correct, it is made by Feng Shu (China). Sears and McCulloch imported and restickerd them also in sizes ranging from 46-55cc and 18" - 20" bars. This lasted for a very short time.

I had one of these and you DON'T want one. When the sprocket wears out you will pay dearly to get it replaced. The air cleaner is another item that you will not find readily available.

i forgot to answer the original question. For matters of simplicity Since you have a 4620 already adding a second one doesn't seem like a bad idea. everything will be interchangeable between them. carrying spare replaceables will take less space in a toolbox. I would suggest going to Narrow Kerf chain like oregon 95P instead of the 33SL that they are fitted with. faster cuts means more productivity in the woods.

Last edited:
I've got a PP5020, and it's my "heavy artillery" along with Husqy 455R. Both cut like animals with 20" bar fully engaged in oak. Both are a bit over 15 lbs full-up, which can be a plus for bucking big stems.

Both are also "stratified-scavenging" designs- much-reduced emissions and fuel consumption. That aspect is highly recommended. (Funny how they don't even mention it anywhere.) Ditto the PURGE bulb- a very GOOD THING. A primer is a whole different story, spritzing fuel into the carb bore; think "flooding."

I forgot to mention that you only need to purge the diaphragm chamber when the saw's been sitting for some time, or run dry. Not like you're playing a tune on it.

I recently got a serious 40 cc saw (RedMax) and already (after 4-5 tanks) I can see it reducing the likelihood of calling in any artillery. It sings, and puts out power out of proportion to simple piston displacement. Boiled down, I'm saying that "cubes" ain't the only thing. And, smaller & lighter -> more hours of runtime possible per day. All the saws mentioned can cut a lot of wood on a tank, a big improvement over previous.

A 2-saw plan is great insurance for when you WILL get a bar pinched.

You might like the refurb buys available on VMInnovations dot com. Like 455R for $307 f.o.b. my door last year.

Last edited:
Go to a 50 cc pro saw and be done with it. Lighter than what you are humpin now, 1.5 or better more horsepower. You want a lightweight saw that runs a 20 well, there ya go.

contact AS member nmurph, get on his waiting list for a 346xp. He typically has them for around 300 bucks and shipping. Those are 500 buck and up pro saws when new. He specializies in those and always has some rebuilts for sale, and they dont last long when he puts them up, either.

If it was me wondering what to do in your situation, I would take that same $250.00 clams and head to the Trading Post section of this forum. You can find it just above the Chainsaw section. You will find a much much better saw for that same money than any of these you have mentioned. It will probably be a used saw, or a rebuilt one, but still far better than your other options. There are a couple guys on here that sell some super nice Huskys fairly cheap.

Ted
I did wonder over to the Trading Post but I didn't really find much of an offering for now. But I will keep my eyes open over there.

+1 on Ted's advice. You can always look on eBay and capitalist as well. Try limiting your search to the local area so you can try the saw out before dropping $ on it. Plenty of rancher 55's out there.

I used to deal with eBay some time ago. I canceled all of my accounts with PayPal and eBay when I started getting erroneous charges coming through my bank for things I didn't purchase. Some charges were in excess of $400 each, and since eBay and PayPal are connected, I canceled my accounts at both places.

I look on Craigs List on a fairly regular basis. I have gotten some good deals but that also means I need to use those stupid ATM's to get cash since my bank is about 65 miles away.

For the most part I've learned that something that is listed as "Barely Used" means there is barely any use left in whatever. "Only used a few times" means it was only used a few times last week. But was used hundreds of times in the last few years and is generally on it's last legs.

Heck, I could sell my 42/18 that had a tree fall on it and has been used and abused as "Gently Used!" :laugh: But like I said, I have gotten some good deals off that list too.

FLHX, Don't know if you would consider used saws or not. I think one of these would be perfect for ya. I use this, as my light weight saw. A Poulan Pro Super 380. 60cc, 20" bar 3/8 chain. ( no primer button) LOL, The green & black version of this saw is the 3750. A slightly older version of the 380, is the PP365. Same size, 60cc.
I use Poulan 4000's with 20" & 24" bars, and this 380, for most of my firewood cutting. I have bigger saws also for when the need or want arises.:) But then your getting into heavier saws too.
Just a thought.

I almost always look for something used first. Then if I can't find anything suitable I'll look at refurbished and then new.

That Super 380 is right up my alley! :D After seeing it in action, even more so! :msp_drool: I think that size would be at the outside range of one that I'd be able to handle. I'm especially appreciative of the NO primer bulb!

contact AS member nmurph, get on his waiting list for a 346xp. He typically has them for around 300 bucks and shipping. Those are 500 buck and up pro saws when new. He specializies in those and always has some rebuilts for sale, and they dont last long when he puts them up, either.

I think this is good advice. He goes completely through these saws and they are 100% when he sells them. His reputation is good, and they sell fast when he has them. I know a pro grade saw seems expensive, but what you are doing when you buy a pro grade 'anything' is buying the hours of your life back.

If the Troybuilt is the one i'm thinking of there is a safety recall on it for the top handle breaking. If memory serves me correct, it is made by Feng Shu (China). Sears and McCulloch imported and restickerd them also in sizes ranging from 46-55cc and 18" - 20" bars. This lasted for a very short time.

I had one of these and you DON'T want one. When the sprocket wears out you will pay dearly to get it replaced. The air cleaner is another item that you will not find readily available.

i forgot to answer the original question. For matters of simplicity Since you have a 4620 already adding a second one doesn't seem like a bad idea. everything will be interchangeable between them. carrying spare replaceables will take less space in a toolbox. I would suggest going to Narrow Kerf chain like oregon 95P instead of the 33SL that they are fitted with. faster cuts means more productivity in the woods.

Thanks for the additional information, especially on the Troy Built! Having that top handle break in the middle of a cut or kick back sure wouldn't be any fun!

I've got a PP5020, and it's my "heavy artillery" along with Husqy 455R. Both cut like animals with 20" bar fully engaged in oak. Both are a bit over 15 lbs full-up, which can be a plus for bucking big stems.

Both are also "stratified-scavenging" designs- much-reduced emissions and fuel consumption. That aspect is highly recommended. (Funny how they don't even mention it anywhere.) Ditto the PURGE bulb- a very GOOD THING. A primer is a whole different story, spritzing fuel into the carb bore; think "flooding."

I forgot to mention that you only need to purge the diaphragm chamber when the saw's been sitting for some time, or run dry. Not like you're playing a tune on it.

I recently got a serious 40 cc saw (RedMax) and already (after 4-5 tanks) I can see it reducing the likelihood of calling in any artillery. It sings, and puts out power out of proportion to simple piston displacement. Boiled down, I'm saying that "cubes" ain't the only thing. And, smaller & lighter -> more hours of runtime possible per day. All the saws mentioned can cut a lot of wood on a tank, a big improvement over previous.

A 2-saw plan is great insurance for when you WILL get a bar pinched.

You might like the refurb buys available on VMInnovations dot com. Like 455R for $307 f.o.b. my door last year.

I'll definitely check out VMInovations. I have an appreciation for "Heavy Artillery" (within my handling capabilities) N I love animals, be they a machine or the warm blooded tasty kind (deer, rabbit, squirrel, etc.)

No problems with the chain tensioner on your 4620?

I've never had any problems with the 4620 overall. I know there there reports of the chain tensioner thing, but I never had a problem with it even when I've changed chains or the bar & chain combination.

On the 42/18 though, that one the chain would come off at the most inopportune times and would have to tighten the chain constantly.

Go to a 50 cc pro saw and be done with it. Lighter than what you are humpin now, 1.5 or better more horsepower. You want a lightweight saw that runs a 20 well, there ya go.

I thought when I first posted the question that it would help make my decision, but now it has gotten even harder. I looked up the 346xp's specifications and for $300! Sounds like a heck of a deal to me. I'll have to add it to my list to mull over n research. Right now the only ones in the running are the PP5020, PP Super 380 or similar, and the 346xp due to the endorsement here on AS.

I thought when I first posted the question that it would help make my decision, but now it has gotten even harder. I looked up the 346xp's specifications and for $300! Sounds like a heck of a deal to me. I'll have to add it to my list to mull over n research. Right now the only ones in the running are the PP5020, PP Super 380 or similar, and the 346xp due to the endorsement here on AS.

theres also the echo option. Underrated saws, cheaper than the big two. Here is one of many threads on the subject

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/217714.htm

theres also the echo option. Underrated saws, cheaper than the big two. Here is one of many threads on the subject

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/217714.htm

Akkk! More Chainsaw Options! You can bet if I could lay my hands on an Echo, I'd scoop it up in a heart beat. I've always rated the Echo right up there with Stihl and Husky.

Some time back I had a guy friend that let me sample all of his since he had one of each. My favorite at the time was the Husky 66 because of the extra pizzazz. None of the others were nearly as large cc wise but all of them were modded. I had only used it to fell a 150 foot pine about 38 inches across (heavy leaner) for the guys and then used the others to buck the tree into rounds. I did think the Echo would be a better chainsaw for me of the three if I were to be felling trees on a regular basis due to it being lighter than the Stihl.

That husky though, whew! I could barely lift the thing but once I got it going :msp_w00t: My friend and a former Marine were trying to figure out how to get a rope up the tree to make it where the tree would fall up the center of the driveway. Since it was leaning heavily towards the mountain it would have just been an inconvenience to buck it and remove the rounds from there. When they finally gave up on trying to attach a rope, my friend turned to me and asked if I thought I could do it. I thought "holly crap, ME!" and said sure. So I eyed the tree, decided where I needed to make the face cut to make the tree fall up the driveway and calculated in for the lean. Even made a mark on the tree to make sure I picked the right spot and eyed it again.

When it came down, my friend said it looked like it was going up the mountain and all of a sudden it switched direction and went straight up the middle of the driveway. It was the prettiest thing I ever did see. The tree practically exploded when it hit the ground! You can bet I was grinning from ear to ear. Both my friend and the former Marine were happy as pigs in a poke. My only regret was they didn't capture it on video. (that was about 5 years ago) BTW, both guys were about 20 years younger than I was. :msp_biggrin:

I believe it would have been easier with an Echo of the same size engine and bar since it would have been lighter making it easier to handle.

I would never want to go to the woods with only 1 saw. I useally take at least 3. Small wood, small light saw. Larger wood, larger saw. Never cut down both sides when you can grab a larger saw and do it in 1 cut. I would recomend a saw large enough to run a 24" bar,and run a 20" on it. Then get a 24" to go with it for when you need it. With your other saw, it will be like having 3 saws. I have a Husky 359 that would work great for that and be economical to buy eather new or used. The 460 would be another good option. Anything with a XP on the end of would cut like a pro. I don't know as much about them, but Sthil makes some fine options also. It is in someones sig on AS that The bitterness of poor quallity lingers long aftre the sweetness of cheep price is long forgotten, ( you get what you pay for).

Back