460 vs 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, you guys are too much!

From a comparison of 2 stock saws on a single cut to "my saw is faster than your saw" to "my god is better than your god" in under 25 posts. :ices_rofl:

I got a hotsaw built out of a stock Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine that will smoke all these saws!!!!! We just have to make sure that the cant that we a cutt'n is vertical.:rock:

Thanks for the vids. :clap:

Those times are so close that I would like to have seen 2-3 cuts per saw to help eliminate differences caused by the operator. If you average them, the 7900 may have been faster.

Last edited:
Thanks for the vids. :clap:

Those times are so close that I would like to have seen 2-3 cuts per saw to help eliminate differences caused by the operator. If you average them, the 7900 may have been faster.

I've yet to figure out why you guys cut cookies,I burn firewood and it would'nt take any more gas and bar oil to cut a round off the same log LOL. Scott:D

Last edited:
Made a few cuts, and the videos posted were a pretty good representation of the best each saw could do. 460 just was a nose ahead of the 7900 more times than the other way around. But close enough One could easly be made to appear faster than the other through the slightest change in cutting or tuning.

I'll see what I can do for some bigger wood, been a little hard to get back to the bush lot the last bit. Too much snow to trailer, but to little to drag it out on with a sled.

hey tw,
thanks for the vid.

i have always wondered how a 460 and a 7900 would compare stock.
i am curious... were both saws running the same sprocket? 7 or 8 tooth?
also,
i like that they are all running the same stihl bar!

looking forward to the progression of this thread!

edit:
btw, i ran my personal 7900 run against a good 066 in 18-20" red oak at a gtg and they were dead even.
would you say it was because of the size of the wood, and that the 066 would maybe start to pull ahead in larger wood?

edit2:
here's a vid i took of my 7900 in roughly 14" x 14" frozen white oak running an 8 tooth. :)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid263.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii150%2Fvolks-man%2F7900bigcant.mp4">

Last edited:
Back