"461 Mufler Question"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cary911

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello... (short of porting) ... I'd like to add a dual port or at least to allow it to breath.

Some sell just the "Cover" while other vendors sell the whole Muffler...

With the attached pictures, "does anyone have a suggestion" even to the contrary?

I'm assuming the L/H have to be adjusted a accordingly ... to dial it in once assembled?

Any advise greatly appreciated, Thank You.muffler.jpg muf1.jpg

It will growl better.

Where your current tune is on your saw will decide if you need adjustments , ive modded mufflers on saws that were pig rich that ran perfect after the mod with only a smidge of a fatter tune on the low side...check it with a tach after to see where you are and if you still 4 stroke at WOT

Just put one of these on your saw. Much less work, and just as much improvement in performance.

s-l1600.jpg

Just put one of these on your saw. Much less work, and just as much improvement in performance.

s-l1600.jpg
I'm sorry as I looked this Mfg up, without finding much results. Apologize for sounding handicapped on this topic ... Is there a distributer "Baileys , etc" I may be able to find a source. ... Thanks for your time.

Don't waste your money on a Wojo muffler. Open the factory outlet as large as the deflector will cover...all the way to both sides and all the way back. Buy a DP cover and enlarge the slot if desired. Honestly, you really don't even need the DP cover, but it certainly won't hurt.
Thank You ... Apologize for sounding illiterate ... "Do you know of a vendor, distributor, (Baileys ex") I could find a DP cover. And or do you suggest a "Manufacturer" ... Thank You!

What did you say???

The “magnum” sticker was stihls attempt to rip off S&W big N frame idea. They simply stuck “magnum” stickers on the back of saws and blowers as a vane marketing attempt to make their stuff sound more impressive. Husky/ jonserad used to use “turbo” or something like that.

Most stihl products are proprietary to stihl. Your local stihl dealer should have a dual port muffler cover if available for that model. You might also need to twiddle around with the carb screws so pick up a tachometer at the same time. Also buy some ear plugs a case of beer for your neighbors.

What did you say???

The “magnum” sticker was stihls attempt to rip off S&W big N frame idea. They simply stuck “magnum” stickers on the back of saws and blowers as a vane marketing attempt to make their stuff sound more impressive. Husky/ jonserad used to use “turbo” or something like that.

Most stihl products are proprietary to stihl. Your local stihl dealer should have a dual port muffler cover if available for that model. You might also need to twiddle around with the carb screws so pick up a tachometer at the same time. Also buy some ear plugs a case of beer for your neighbors.
Thank You!

Listen to brad.the original 044 had a large single outlet.pull your muffler enlarge the oulet port as large as the defflector will allow.pull yor limiters and re-tune.you can also gut the internal baffle if you want a little more gain

I have a ms461....I did a lot of "research" about the dual port muffler....my conclusion....for whatever reason seems this saw doesn't respond as well to the dual port...many guys have done lengthy test on this and have said the gains were small if at all...I never did get a dual port...

As far as my 461....well it was quite strange how much the saw "woke" up with 15-20 tanks of gas...I could even feel the compression build in the pull-cord over time(believe it or not)....

I love my saws, but in the end, they are a tool that make me some money and keep me warm....my thinking is like this, "what can I do to make this saw efficient, but live the longest life possible"....on the 461 I would say, tune the saw so it's not lean, run 40:1, and enlarge the exhaust port some, as brad stated.....to be honest with you I have only trimmed the limiter tabs to tune the saw correctly....I will eventually widen the exghuast, but to be honest the 461 "walks the dog", with a 25"--28" bar stock...I haven't had the saw a year and it's paid for itself a few times already......church is out...

I have a ms461....I did a lot of "research" about the dual port muffler....my conclusion....for whatever reason seems this saw doesn't respond as well to the dual port...many guys have done lengthy test on this and have said the gains were small if at all...I never did get a dual port...

As far as my 461....well it was quite strange how much the saw "woke" up with 15-20 tanks of gas...I could even feel the compression build in the pull-cord over time(believe it or not)....

I love my saws, but in the end, they are a tool that make me some money and keep me warm....my thinking is like this, "what can I do to make this saw efficient, but live the longest life possible"....on the 461 I would say, tune the saw so it's not lean, run 40:1, and enlarge the exhaust port some, as brad stated.....to be honest with you I have only trimmed the limiter tabs to tune the saw correctly....I will eventually widen the exghuast, but to be honest the 461 "walks the dog", with a 25"--28" bar stock...I haven't had the saw a year and it's paid for itself a few times already......church is out...
Seems to be the impression with this particular saw. "Thanks for the pics" I'm not mechanically inclined... (Dad didn't spend a lot of time with me growing up) ;)

Back