"461 Mufler Question"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to be the impression with this particular saw. "Thanks for the pics" I'm not mechanically inclined... (Dad didn't spend a lot of time with me growing up) ;)
Yes sir a few screws and it's off!!

Have you experimented with any dual port on a ms461, that hasn't been ported???

Just curious as to your results if you have...
Nope. Only had 1 461 and it came ported already. I like the bigger outlet welded on over the dual port cover

Cary, the 461 suffers from the same condition as the late 660. Exhaust exit from muffler is way choked up and just opening them up makes a significant improvement. The suggestion to open up the side port works but if you'd rather not touch a dremel the dual port cover is bolt on, does more then opening up the stock hole, and sounds better. If you buy aftermarket make sure the pic has one with a screen installed or you will have to make one yourself to fit the cover which is easy but unnecessary . The OEM covers from stihl aren't much money either IIRC. I just bought a 660 one for under $40 CAD brand new from dealer. Fact of the matter is a muffler modded saw is not legal. Saws are CSA approved and any modification removes that approval. Around here, if you are caught working in the bush with a modded muffler you can be fined even with all ports properly screened. The stihl dual ports is the only way around that as stihl has signed off on them being part of the CSA approval for that saw. Husky have no legit muffler upgrade so I carry a spare muffler completely opened up under the deflector but stock appearing so dummy inspectors can't tell the difference. I carry the tools and have plenty of warning to swap my modded muff off the saw before buddy shows up. I have recently been trying my ported saws with those simply modded mufflers and they don't lose any power it would seem over a full muffler mod. Deeper exhaust note and way easier to do.

...Fact of the matter is a muffler modded saw is not legal. Saws are CSA approved and any modification removes that approval. Around here, if you are caught working in the bush with a modded muffler you can be fined even with all ports properly screened. The stihl dual ports is the only way around that as stihl has signed off on them being part of the CSA approval for that saw. Husky have no legit muffler upgrade so I carry a spare muffler completely opened up under the deflector but stock appearing so dummy inspectors can't tell the difference. I carry the tools and have plenty of warning to swap my modded muff off the saw before buddy shows up.

Wow! Everyone thinks the environmental regs are tough here in California. IF you run across law enforcement here, they're only interested in your permits and compliance with cutting restrictions.

Wow! Everyone thinks the environmental regs are tough here in California. IF you run across law enforcement here, they're only interested in your permits and compliance with cutting restrictions.

around here if your a firewood cutter no one cares but as a professional cutter the CSA approval must remain. everyone professional here runs a modded muffler though so means nothing but say a fire is started in your quarter, if they found out you were running a non CSA approved saw you would be getting a fine depending on the extent of the fire. i know a guy who left his quarter end of day with all looking good. that evening his quarter was on fire, only burned the size of an RV before it was put out and he was fined $300. they were also trying to take his saw but he refused and gave them just the modded muffler off the saw instead lol he was a native working in his own tribal territory and he still got fined $300. imagine the fine a white man would get! lol

Opening up the stock outlet on a 460 will gain you more surface area than adding a DP, and doesn't cost a dime.

never said it didn't lol alot of people want to buy the part, not grind on what they have. you see cary's pics? he'll spend a premium on looks alone lol

That's not how I read it.

if you talking about grinding on a muffler anyways grinding on a dual port will yield much more then the stock opening. i've hogged out the stock opening to max. with the screen there is does nothing a stock dual port won't do. now, if you plan to put an illegal screen in there then that's a different story but open holes it seems to me the dual port cover does more for a saw but that might just be added noise too.

The DP cover uses the same size screen.

lol, i never said it didn't. screen size is a requirement by law not a choice. a larger screen will do nothing to prevent fire but will stop large things from getting into the muffler and potentially top end. i still like a pipe or 2 with no screens on my play saws but they gotta be screened at work. .023 is the max allowable opening for screens IIRC.

Cary, the 461 suffers from the same condition as the late 660. Exhaust exit from muffler is way choked up and just opening them up makes a significant improvement. The suggestion to open up the side port works but if you'd rather not touch a dremel the dual port cover is bolt on, does more then opening up the stock hole, and sounds better. If you buy aftermarket make sure the pic has one with a screen installed or you will have to make one yourself to fit the cover which is easy but unnecessary . The OEM covers from stihl aren't much money either IIRC. I just bought a 660 one for under $40 CAD brand new from dealer. Fact of the matter is a muffler modded saw is not legal. Saws are CSA approved and any modification removes that approval. Around here, if you are caught working in the bush with a modded muffler you can be fined even with all ports properly screened. The stihl dual ports is the only way around that as stihl has signed off on them being part of the CSA approval for that saw. Husky have no legit muffler upgrade so I carry a spare muffler completely opened up under the deflector but stock appearing so dummy inspectors can't tell the difference. I carry the tools and have plenty of warning to swap my modded muff off the saw before buddy shows up. I have recently been trying my ported saws with those simply modded mufflers and they don't lose any power it would seem over a full muffler mod. Deeper exhaust note and way easier to do.
Thank you, Respectfully.

It don't look to bad, guess we will see when I post it....I will post pics when I get it too!!

Back