462 on the Stihl US website

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the 462 as a remake of a 440 . Less saw than a 460, only 72 cc ,max bar of 28 inches ?? W.t.f ? Stihl needs a model in between the 462 & the 661. Just my two cents worth. But this is typical pay more & get less.

The MS 500i is listed at 79.2 cc, 5.0 kW, 6.8 hp, 6.2 kg (= 13.7 lbs), so it should fill that gap nicely?

The MS 500i is listed at 79.2 cc, 5.0 kW, 6.8 hp, 6.2 kg (= 13.7 lbs), so it should fill that gap nicely?

That was my conclusion as well until I looked at the price. Based on the early European sales it looks like that's all it's going to come in around $1500.

That was my conclusion as well until I looked at the price. Based on the early European sales it looks like that's all it's going to come in around $1500.

From what I read, $1500 is nothing to most members. There are plenty of members here with 100s of saws, some that buy saws to put them on a shelf and never use them, or port them, play with them, then sell them. $1500 is nothing for a toy of this magnitude, and to be the first is priceless -- be the ArboristSite RockStar.

Just imagine being the first to get one ported. Heads would explode!!!

How far you do you walk with your saw that 3lbs becomes a big issue?
Hell at my age about 50 feet. I imagine if I had to work all day with a saw, 3 lbs would make quite a difference. Honestly, I am constantly reminded I can’t work (or play) like I did 30-40 years ago. These lightweight saws are the bees knee for me and (I think) a lot of folks like me.
I just bought an 088 for my collection, if I put a bar on it it won’t be any longer than 20” cause I don’t really expect to use it often (really,if ever)
and that’s because it’s way too heavy for me. I really didn’t need that saw, but man did i want it. Oh well.

Hell at my age about 50 feet. I imagine if I had to work all day with a saw, 3 lbs would make quite a difference. Honestly, I am constantly reminded I can’t work (or play) like I did 30-40 years ago. These lightweight saws are the bees knee for me and (I think) a lot of folks like me.
I just bought an 088 for my collection, if I put a bar on it it won’t be any longer than 20” cause I don’t really expect to use it often (really,if ever)
and that’s because it’s way too heavy for me. I really didn’t need that saw, but man did i want it. Oh well.

I have started to feel that way and bought the 25ton log splitter. I'm not there yet, in buying new saws to save a few pounds.

How far you do you walk with your saw that 3lbs becomes a big issue?

I volunteer my time clearing windfall from trails. Up to 20 miles hiking with a saw on my shoulder. I imagine the wild land firefighters go further. A professional faller probably walks plenty too.

You don’t strictly, but those few parys were just as useful as the wrap handle for cutting timber. Throw a long chain brushing out? Good luck not messing it up when it hits that metal bent piece/sprocket, or how much it hurts when it hits your hand on the wrap handle. Like having the saw actually be able to support it’s own weight when you’re falling a big tree with thick bark? You need the bigger dawgs both inner and outer. Like not being covered in chips and having them flow better? That’s where the big side cover has always been useful.

You’re right, you don’t strictly need them, but they are useful if you use the saw to production fall trees. They were on all the prior saws Stihl had sold under the R designation, and Stihl can do whatever they want, but I’m disappointed.

As far as the oiler goes... The stock Stihl oilers are fine, they just usually need to be turned up from the “e” setting. The new tiny oiler holes on Stihl bars are a problem too, they usually see a little drill action in my shop.

Lol..that's not what I was talking about.

You don't need to add them if you buy an R model, they come on the saw.

Latest posts

Back