462 - skip tooth or full comp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picking up a 462 and it has a 28” light bar with full comp chain. Thinking about asking the shop to swap it for a skip. I’ll be cutting 10 cords a year of Doug fir and tamarack. Am I right in wanting to run a skip tooth instead of full comp?

Full comp is smooth but in softwood why wouldn't you run skip with that much bar. ?

In doug and larch you can run either on that saw with that length no problem. I run full skip on one of my 361s with a 25" on it just fine. Skip tooth will keep the revs up higher. In fir you can go with a 32" on that saw with full skip no problem. That is what I ran on my 460 cutting doug, grand fir and red cedar. Full chisel and no safety yellow chain. Skip also works better noodling large diameter rounds (blocking them down cutting with the grain).

Picking up a 462 and it has a 28” light bar with full comp chain. Thinking about asking the shop to swap it for a skip. I’ll be cutting 10 cords a year of Doug fir and tamarack. Am I right in wanting to run a skip tooth instead of full comp?
I guess it depends on what you are cutting but I live a bit west of you and also have a 462 and cut Dfir, Lodgepole and Tamarack and think that skip works just fine and is much quicker to sharpen

Latest posts

Back