4wd Tractor advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Ford 2120 is a great tractor for what you are looking for. I have extensive time running a backhoe, harley rake, brush hog and a 6ft snowblower with sims cab for winter on a 2120 and it handles all with ease.

It even has a removable grapple on the front bucket, which is a huge time and back saver for brush piles, log length moving, etc

My 2 cents

If you have a FEL, then you need the 4wd. Hills? 4wd is needed too. Whatever you do, try and get something that has or can be retrofitted for a grapple bucket. If you've ever used a tractor with one, you'll never, ever think about owning one without that capability ever again. It saves so much time it's unreal.

Another thing that is really nice, but isn't a must have, is a cab. Keeps dust off of you, mosquitos, rain and snow.

Ford 1920 and 2120 are on the radar. Seems like a decent one can be found in our budget with some searching. Seems like a good size. Our place is a bit steep and tight in certain areas, so while I want a capable tractor, I can't get something that is literally too big for the land.

Just to give y'all an idea of the hills/steepness here. Hard to really tell from the photo, but far from flat. I hope to be able to do some light logging/clearing and bush hogging in the area up the hill from the house that is bushy and overgrown/immature trees. This was taken at the beginning of last spring. It's a jungle of tall weeds up there now, but come winter it will die back and I plan to clear it out little by little. So, I'd say 4wd is definitely needed (for other uses as well.) I'd like to get it reasonably cleared enough to put up some woven wire fence and run goats through there for a couple seasons to keep it clear, then rotate pigs in different sections of it behind the goats to turn up soil. After that I could plant different grass seeds like clover that would be nutritious for the hogs in the future.

I've also attached a pic of the firewood pallet baskets that I'd like to lift with FEL forks. My rough calculation is 1/3 cord per basket. Ideally I'm not touching the baskets until the wood is seasoned, but plenty of them will be filled with oak and locust, so I think it's fair to assume 1500+ lbs per basket in some cases. Most of the time (once or twice a week) will be lifting directly onto flatbed which would be parked very close. I'd also like the option of forking a basket and taking it up the house (in previous pic) and setting it on the porch or somewhere close, but that's a bit more movement/steep ground that the normal duty.

We plan to be breaking ground in different places over the next couple of years to establish more garden beds (like the one pictured below from last summer.)

Attachments

• IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 72
Ford 1920 and 2120 are on the radar. Seems like a decent one can be found in our budget with some searching. Seems like a good size. Our place is a bit steep and tight in certain areas, so while I want a capable tractor, I can't get something that is literally too big for the land.

Just to give y'all an idea of the hills/steepness here. Hard to really tell from the photo, but far from flat. I hope to be able to do some light logging/clearing and bush hogging in the area up the hill from the house that is bushy and overgrown/immature trees. This was taken at the beginning of last spring. It's a jungle of tall weeds up there now, but come winter it will die back and I plan to clear it out little by little. So, I'd say 4wd is definitely needed (for other uses as well.) I'd like to get it reasonably cleared enough to put up some woven wire fence and run goats through there for a couple seasons to keep it clear, then rotate pigs in different sections of it behind the goats to turn up soil. After that I could plant different grass seeds like clover that would be nutritious for the hogs in the future.

I've also attached a pic of the firewood pallet baskets that I'd like to lift with FEL forks. My rough calculation is 1/3 cord per basket. Ideally I'm not touching the baskets until the wood is seasoned, but plenty of them will be filled with oak and locust, so I think it's fair to assume 1500+ lbs per basket in some cases. Most of the time (once or twice a week) will be lifting directly onto flatbed which would be parked very close. I'd also like the option of forking a basket and taking it up the house (in previous pic) and setting it on the porch or somewhere close, but that's a bit more movement/steep ground that the normal duty.

We plan to be breaking ground in different places over the next couple of years to establish more garden beds (like the one pictured below from last summer.)

yeah the 2120's are nice but good luck finding one with loader for 10 grand. Nice thing they can run a real size backhoe, not these little toys.

I see you listed finish mow as a task for this tractor. Trouble is its hard to get a tractor which is heavy enough for dirt work, brush hog, skidding etc and still be able to mow grass with it.

Interesting post, I think I am looking for the same type tractor as you. See a lot of the fords for sale in Wisconsin and Texas.........

Good luck!

Another vote for the 2120 (since I have one) very capable tractor.

Also, if you check the specs., it's got more 3pt lift capacity than anything in it's class.

Ed

The Ford/NewHolland 20 series (1720-1920-2120etc) are great tractors as well as the Kubota 50 series (2850-3250etc). I would think any of the mentioned would fit the bill except for the 2k front loader capacity, thats a bit much for anything under 50hp. If you are in no rush and keep a keen eye in clist and the local classifieds you WILL manage to find something that suites your needs.

I just saw a really clean Ford 1920 sell for 11k with front loader and backhoe here in Maine. Theres a really clean Kubota 3250 for around 12k with loader. Don't give up and give yourself at least 4 months of searching.

Philbo, I owned a 574 IH 54 hp +- with loader and could move 2,000 pounds if I was very careful. Had rears loaded with methanol and it got very light with a ton on the front. Then I traded and got a Farmtrac 80,72 hp. Could move 1 ton pallets ok but had to be on level ground to move with any speed. Just to see what it would lift I added 50 pound bags of feed to a pallet already loaded with 1 ton of feed. I could lift 2,600 and that's all the hydraulics would handle. Also had tires loaded. Farmtrac weighed a little over 8,000 with loader and ballast. Both these were 2 wd. What I'm getting at is 1,500lbs. on the size tractor you have talked about may be to much weight for the tractor or hydraulics. Loader work is always dangerous. Could break a tie rod end or spindal while moving and roll over.Then you add uneven ground and it can flip over before you know what's about to happen. I hate to see you buy a loader tractor and get it home and it won't do what you want. I now have a Deutz Fahr with Stoll loader, 100 hp. , loaded rears and weighs 12,000 pounds. I use a W R Long grapple and it weighs a little over 700 pounds. Even with the weight, power of hydraulics I can still get in places and have to be very careful. Had one rear wheel come off the ground several times and many times have to turn on the front wheel drive to back up. So take your time and know what you're getting before you buy anything. Know what the machine can and will do. If lifting 1,500 or so pounds of wood is a must then load a pallet in the back of your truck and test out what you're looking at to make sure it will lift it safely.

Philbo, I owned a 574 IH 54 hp +- with loader and could move 2,000 pounds if I was very careful. Had rears loaded with methanol and it got very light with a ton on the front. Then I traded and got a Farmtrac 80,72 hp. Could move 1 ton pallets ok but had to be on level ground to move with any speed. Just to see what it would lift I added 50 pound bags of feed to a pallet already loaded with 1 ton of feed. I could lift 2,600 and that's all the hydraulics would handle. Also had tires loaded. Farmtrac weighed a little over 8,000 with loader and ballast. Both these were 2 wd. What I'm getting at is 1,500lbs. on the size tractor you have talked about may be to much weight for the tractor or hydraulics. Loader work is always dangerous. Could break a tie rod end or spindal while moving and roll over.Then you add uneven ground and it can flip over before you know what's about to happen. I hate to see you buy a loader tractor and get it home and it won't do what you want. I now have a Deutz Fahr with Stoll loader, 100 hp. , loaded rears and weighs 12,000 pounds. I use a W R Long grapple and it weighs a little over 700 pounds. Even with the weight, power of hydraulics I can still get in places and have to be very careful. Had one rear wheel come off the ground several times and many times have to turn on the front wheel drive to back up. So take your time and know what you're getting before you buy anything. Know what the machine can and will do. If lifting 1,500 or so pounds of wood is a must then load a pallet in the back of your truck and test out what you're looking at to make sure it will lift it safely.

Have a deutz dx90 here I use some times and it could move a 1500 lb big round bale with the forks attached to the bucket, but I wouldn't want to move much heavier, and not on any sort of slope, flat good ground only.

forklift jobs...need a forklift for easy consistent results...

I have a Kubota l4150 4 wheel drive thats about 50 hp that I do all of what you want. Don't know how much they are now since I've had mine for 20 years (it's a 1986 I think). I have a Westindorf loader and a Farmi Winch on it right now. I was using it today, doing some logging. I think I paid $16,000 for it, bare bones. Just love it, only problem I've had was to replace the clutch due to it being oil soaked from a bad seal.

I had a Ford 1520 for quite a few years. I ended up busting the front wheel drive pulling out small stumps. The shaft is barely 5/8" so it's no wonder it broke. I had a 10' wide homemade snow blade on it, cracked the loader frame and had to weld it back together. I have a Kubota L35 now and regularly work the crap out of it too. Broke the rear lights, front lights, several hydraulic hoses, fuel filter etc etc. If you use it you will break it sooner or later. I can fix most stuff but not my body so not really worried about it. The 1520 is a good starter tractor and could be all the tractor you need but it will not lift those 1500 lbs and move it.
wedding 045.jpg

Front tire let go on mine Sunday afternoon ( tubeless), sidewall crack at the tread line. Been many years since I had to manually dismount a tire- got lucky and the local hardware store had a tube that would work. Stuffed that in it so was back up and running by 3 pm. Course that completely destroyed my action plan for the day. I will need a couple of replacement shoes for the front as the other side is not much better and that tube won't last all that long. More of a stop gap measure to get unit back under lock and key. Acquaintance found it totally fascinating that I could re-mediate the situation as he considered it a problem with out an immediate solution. (city slicker - I don't think his auto club would have been any help)

I take much better care of my Kubota than the Ford. This one has to last. I told the tire shop to put fluid in the back tires, dumb azzes must have put helium in them. Trees are only 50' long and fresh cut. On a positive note the new front tires seem to be working ok. The rims are all dented to crap already though. My wife must have done it.
helium3.jpg helium2.jpg helium1.jpg

I take much better care of my Kubota than the Ford. This one has to last. I told the tire shop to put fluid in the back tires, dumb azzes must have put helium in them. Trees are only 50' long and fresh cut. On a positive note the new front tires seem to be working ok. The rims are all dented to crap already though. My wife must have done it.
View attachment 365370 View attachment 365371 View attachment 365372
Too much of that and you will kill the front axle components! Loaded rears or not, get some counter weight on the 3 pt hitch!

I usually don't lift that much, fork got caught on the 2nd log and I figured a good photo op. Didn't realize both rears were off the ground until after I took the pic. It's an TLB, it's made to do that and it's orange. :)

Ha! Admit reality, you are always just looking for an excuse to weld something. hehehehehe

Hey zogger, one of these days I'm going to have to weld on the bota I just hope it's something simple. Been too busy at work to do many home projects but hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel soon. I "need" a 36 to 48" wood splitter for the OWB and all that poplar I've been cutting.

Latest posts

Back