$5.00 Too Much, Not At All

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
My ole geezer tight wad friend came by yesterday evening to tell me that blower won't start again. I said well lets have a look at it. He didn't have it with him. I said where is it. He said its home and it won't start. I said where is home, he said across town. I said well why don't ya go get it and bring it in here. I promised him as well if there is something wrong with it I'll fix it for free. Away he flew to get his blower. He comes right back with it. I sat it down on my new tile floor and gave it a few cranks and there was gas pouring out the muffler onto my floor again,grrrrr. I looked up at him and said ya see all that gas, he said yes. I said its flooded again. I held open the throttle and kept cranking and it finally sputtered and fired up, smoking like a train. It clear out and ran perfect. He shook his head in disbelief and here's what I did for the ole feller. I said leave it here tonight. Tomorrow morning you swing by and we'll see how she acts then. He said ok. I cleaned up my floor again, grrrrrrrr. This morning he came by. I went and got the blower, it had sat all nite. I said now show me how you start it. He turned on the switch, locked the throttle, set the choke, primed it and started to crank it. On the second pull it sputtered and he was about to crank it again. I said hold up, theres the problem. I told him to set it at half choke and he did and one more crank she fired up and ran perfect. This is the exact same way I showed him to start it when he bought it from me months before. I told him you got to go to half choke after she fires that first time. He had for some reason got the notion it would run on choke. He shook his head and laffed. I said don't feel bad, hell happens all the time and this time its on the house, I'm not gonna charge ya $5.00 this time. He patted me on the shoulder and laffed and said thanks and away he went. Like I said in my other post about this ole guy, he'll be coming back to me over and over and over. I think now he realizes that was $5.00 well spent the first time. He left all happy and all smiles and I must admit as I watched him leave I thought to myself one day I'll get old too. I think too he'd rather pay me $5.00 than go anywhere else and I kinda like that,haha..........................

nice goin'

By the time were too old, they won't have chokes (except on the old stuff which we'll both have barns full), damn it... I hear Stihl starts using a Zama carb in the small saws with un-easy start next year that detects the first fire and resets the choke on it's own... hmmm... more fun for the old guys.

Lakeside53 said:
nice goin'

By the time were too old, they won't have chokes (except on the old stuff which we'll both have barns full), damn it... I hear Stihl starts using a Zama carb in the small saws with un-easy start next year that detects the first fire and resets the choke on it's own... hmmm... more fun for the old guys.

Dayumm there goes my $5.00,lolol.

I had one of them myself today with a 353 Husky. Only the guy didn't buy it months ago, he bought it THIS MORNING!

Didn't charge him; just explained it again.

That "leave the choke on" thing happens all the time, no matter how often we explain it.

spike60 said:
I had one of them myself today with a 353 Husky. Only the guy didn't buy it months ago, he bought it THIS MORNING!

Didn't charge him; just explained it again.

That "leave the choke on" thing happens all the time, no matter how often we explain it.

True Spike it does happen all the time. Hopefully the ole geezer will remember how to start that thing. If not I'll smack him up for $5.00. Wait, hell I already did that and he still forgot,lolololololol

No... REMEMBER!!!! Next time you charge him it has to be $7.50
just to jog his memory- plus you got the reason to back it up now!

If he has forgotten all about it by then, you'll know that's the problem-

"OLD TIMER'S DISEASE" LOL

shucksters said:
No... REMEMBER!!!! Next time you charge him it has to be $7.50
just to jog his memory- plus you got the reason to back it up now!

If he has forgotten all about it by then, you'll know that's the problem-

"OLD TIMER'S DISEASE" LOL

lol, old geezer disease,lol. If he brings that thing back again I'm gonna have a rag for him to clean up my floor, that will make him remember to half choke,lolol

Lakeside53 said:
nice goin'

I hear EFI ..LOL

Great job , Should of told him " ok , now that you know , if you do it agian I'll have to charge you $50.00 " Ha ! I bet he wouldnt forget after that . :buttkick:

Lakeside53 said:
nice goin'

I think everyone is going the wrong way with this stuff. It's good to have adjustments.

Do you know how hard it is to find a decent lawn mower with a throttle control now days??? I have a Husky walk behind with a Honda engine and it's a great mower, but you can't knock the throttle down when going over gravel or other loose material. I looked at Craftsman, Yardman, Husky. Only the most expensive models have a throttle control. :bang:

HickoryNick said:
I think everyone is going the wrong way with this stuff. It's good to have adjustments.

Do you know how hard it is to find a decent lawn mower with a throttle control now days??? I have a Husky walk behind with a Honda engine and it's a great mower, but you can't knock the throttle down when going over gravel or other loose material. I looked at Craftsman, Yardman, Husky. Only the most expensive models have a throttle control. :bang:
Its my understanding that you are not to use a lawn mower engine at anything but full throttle for full lubrication & cooling . The only time i throttle down is to turn off the mower , this goes for push and ride on mowers . This information is even posted in my owners manuals .

I prefer to shut it off before crossing gravel. Easier on the truck's paint.
I am glad I am not the only one with customers that can't grasp the concept of opening the choke after the first pop. Makes me feel much better LOL

Rspike said:
Its my understanding that you are not to use a lawn mower engine at anything but full throttle for full lubrication & cooling . The only time i throttle down is to turn off the mower , this goes for push and ride on mowers . This information is even posted in my owners manuals .

I know what your saying, my manual says the same thing. What I find interesting is how they never had a problem with having throttles on mowers for years....Now they change it? Okay, here's where I go off the deep end into conspiracy theory.

It's cheaper to build a lawnmower without a throttle control, not to mention it benefits the oil companies. Of course that's a conspiracy stretch on the oil companies. It's not like we haven't seen it before with auto makers.

I always thought that the heat production and lubrication needs of an engine were proportional to the RPM and fuel being burned in an engine. I suppose the engineers who design motors have discovered in some way that an idling engine produces as much heat as an engine at full throttle...Maybe their building motors different these days? This kinda takes a little bit away from the theorems of efficiency. Gasoline powered engines, or well, all motors, electric or gas powered are not 100% efficient, ie, they do not convert all energy in the form of combustion or electricity into mechanical energy. A great deal of energy is lost in the form of heat. So what they are saying is that a gas powered mower at idle is producing the same amount of heat and needs the same cooling as one at full throttle. Now stick with me on this... If an engine is at idle and is producing the same amount of heat as one at full throttle, this means it must be producing the same amount of power with the same amount of fuel consumption. Wait, doesn't that sound darn close to free energy?

Now let's throw some Ockam's Razor into it all. All things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to the correct explanation.

A. Lawn mower manufacturers have developed an engine that produces the same amount of energy at idle as at full throttle.

B. Lawn mower manufactures decided to take away a "not so important to some" feature to save production costs.

Sorry if I sound like a real smart a**. But it's hard not to be sometimes :D

Gj

We will all be there soon.
wtg.gif
THALL!

spike60 said:
You know the problem with "Old Geezer Condition" is that we are all going to get it!

lolol, yep you be right. Heck I'm already starting to slur alot slower these days,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,lol...........

boboak said:
LOL...Careful there young fella,some of us are ALREADY offically part of the Geezer Generation. Besides,the alternative to making it clear to the Geritol Group is really grim.:D Bob

lol, bob hand me my cane will ya,lol..................

Latest posts

Back