5 foot diameter oak for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have 1 more load of the wood to bring home,,hope to do that tonight,,we have a local saw mill that might buy the trunk,,any where from 500-1000 bucks for the 2 logs we cut,,1 is 10 foot and the other is 9 foot,,both pieces are very solid,,no rot,,if they don't buy them then there is going to be a lot of firewood:biggrinbounce2::chainsawguy:

we have 1 more load of the wood to bring home,,hope to do that tonight,,we have a local saw mill that might buy the trunk,,any where from 500-1000 bucks for the 2 logs we cut,,1 is 10 foot and the other is 9 foot,,both pieces are very solid,,no rot,,if they don't buy them then there is going to be a lot of firewood:biggrinbounce2::chainsawguy:

Why wouldn't you just get some lumber made up, people are always loking for oak boards for projects.

Beefie

After watching the video, I'm wondering how stressed the truck got when it landed. It did not hit flat across the length, but only at the stump end and about 25 feet up the truck, so I would think the whole length in between flexed big time and may have caused some problems if you want to mill it into lumber. I got two 36" x 10' Red Oak logs from a friend when he had to take down in a similar situation. When we started milling on site with the woodmizer we found internal stress cracks and splits that we had to work around to get usable lumber. Since the logs we free to me and I just paid the sawyer the price was right but I might have had another 150 bf if it wasn't for those splits, none of which were visible on the outside.

Either way it is sad it had to go and there will be plenty of wood to go around.

And everyone went home with all their fingers and toes which is a plus too. :)

what a dumb ass homeowner!

beautiful tree that posed little to no danger to the house.
oaks are super strong with little to fear from storms

Back