50/50 Split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoff310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got a call from a guy with a large woods outback. He has a bunch of wood and he also heats with wood. He is willing to let me come out and cut all I want as long as he gets half. I'm a little mixed on it. What would you guys do?

Jeff

How bad do you need the wood? Is it standing, trees or left over tops? I think the best I would do is 25% for land owner 75% for me, unless there are other factors (old friend, family, or you just want to help him out, etc.) We need more info.

no no and no. 100-0 split. only way to do a split with anyone. If you can't find wood to cut that someone will give you then you're just not looking very hard. If he comes out and helps cut and helps split then he can have half of the wood that you do together. Wood is free until its in splits or boards.

ash logs on his property he had dropped and had some hauled in by a tree company. In the small conversation I had with him it sounds like I cut and take my half and leave his half. He will split and stack his own....Im still mixed on the deal.

Jeff

It depends on what is involved on you doing for him. And how much you value your time. Are you dropping and and leaving it for him or are you feeding his wood stove for him too?

Sounds like an ok deal if all you are doing is cutting for the guy, not splitting and moving or skidding the wood. I'd do a small quantity to start to make sure it will work out well before you put tons of labor into this venture. Is it easily accessible?

Basically it depends on how bad YOU need the wood?? I'd jump at it myself long as i i could just leave his half in the woods. All its costing you is 2 cuts per round and you get to run your chainsaw so its a win win to me.

shoot, just blocking, considering the amount of cookies some people cut, blocking is just big cookies. why not go for it? ash is easy to split and high BTUs

!!"NO WAY"!! least I would go for is 3:1 .... wood even bought out right is cheaper than doing a lazy persons labor for them... my going ratio is 4:1 or im on my way to buy anothers stumpage or tops!

So he's swapping wood for your labor. You cut up( into rounds) as much of his downed wood as you want, leave it where it is, and keep half of the wood you cut? I guess it depends on what price you want to put on your labor, whether it's fair or not. As long as he doesn't expect any more than cutting and leaving rounds where they lay, it doesn't sound too bad to me. You want to be sure there is no question about how you will access ,load and haul away the wood. Establish all the ground rules and expectations first before you cut a stick. He might be a reasonable guy, or he might be fussy. A little more conversation may give you that answer. JMO

Here's my take on the situation. The landowner had the wood hauled to his landing. He is willing to give you half of it if you will block it all up. He's not asking you to split or stack his half of the wood. Why are you not already out there sawing instead of asking for advice here on the internet? Sure you have to make 2 cuts instead of one to get your share of the wood, but do you really think you can save any money by buying wood that needs cut and bucked from another landowner. There maybe other factors that make this proposal not cost effective, but you havent told us about them, so based on what you have told us, I think you need to get your butt out there and start cutting fast before the landowner changes his mind or makes a deal with someone else.

Maybe all his saws are down except for the David Bradley in his sig. Maybe thats why he is hesitating.

I'm gonna have to disagree with that sentence. It's the land owners and he could put any price tag he wants on it. It's only free if he says so.
you can ask for a million dollars to keep breathing, doesn't mean anyone will pay it. hardly anyone where i live would even think to charge someone to cut wood if they want to put the effort out.

I got a call from a guy with a large woods outback. He has a bunch of wood and he also heats with wood. He is willing to let me come out and cut all I want as long as he gets half. I'm a little mixed on it. What would you guys do?

Jeff
I have this same deal with a guy near me. I roll on to his land, he tells me what tree's I can cut, I drop them, limb them, buck up the
logs, load up my half and drive away. He takes care of all the mess and moves his own rounds. great deal for me because I hate
stacking and burning all the slash. I say go for it.

I got to go with the "probably" crowd.

If it was me and I could get my truck pretty close to the logs, I get half the rounds I cut and I leave half the rounds I buck right there where they were cut, yup, I would do that. I'd be willing to bring home 10-20 cords worth doing that.

The real question is about your other options.
If this is what you have to work with, it's not a bad deal. If you have better opportunities elsewhere, then it's not so good a deal.
Given the current situation regarding recent weather and ongoing wood availability, I can imagine worse deals.

Latest posts

Back