50/50 split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I have a guy that has piles of logs from a recently logged property. He offered me a deal. For every cord I cut for myself I have to cut a cord for him, is this a decent deal or no?
Thanks

Yeah, depends if it's just cutting to blocks or cut and split. If it's easy to gather and not too much work and I didn't have any choice I "may" consider it but normally not. I would do 2 to 1 maybe. I guess it all boils down to how bad you need it and how bad they want it gone.

A man has to do what he has to do. I dont do halfs, if they want it gone and they aint paying me to clean it up, I take it all or nothing. Now you are saying piles of logs, are these logs in one big pile, or are they scattered out over the property. If they are already on a landing and just need sawing up, easy to get to, then I might reconsider.

Yes, of course!

No, absolutely not!

The variables are too numerous. Part of the country and region you are from. I've seen firewood costs from bottom dollar to 2 1/2 X as much. Now what sucks is that you'll get replies, but no real concrete info you can use to determine value within your specific region.

If I'm busy doing tree work and I get the wood as part of the deal and I can sell it "on the landing" so to speak, that's one way. However, if I have to haul it to the shop to process, etc, then that's another that will cost money. If I have the time to process, then I'll budge on price. If I'm swamped in tree work, I may have to pass the deal or charge a pretty penny for my over-head costs.

I suggest you go to your local papers, flyers, bulletin boards and Craigslist to see what firewood is selling for. Then figure your time and costs and charge whatever you feel is worth your time. You may do a deal that works for you, but given the same info info in another area, someone may want to do that.

Look at the details, your time and the value of wood, etc, and work out a mutual deal you're both happy with.

StihlRockin'

If he was out there cutting with me I'd take him up on it. But that doesn't appear to be the case here.

In this scenario you're cutting two cord to get one... and you're doing all the work. He gets a cord cut for free and doesn't have to pick up a saw. If you can talk him into a two for one deal, good. Otherwise, I'd pass.

It depends on how long it takes you to cut these logs and how long it would take you to go out and cut a cord on your own. If you can cut it from the piles at least twice as fast as you can cut 1 under your own terms then heck yeah, especially since you aren't monkeying with branches.

YA, I didn't think it was a very good deal. He doesn't just want it cut he also wants it split. So I do not think it is worth if. They cleared a couple acres and its all piled in big piles.
Thanks for everyone's help

Ah, if he wants it split that changes things for sure. If you have other ways to gather good firewood, it doesn't seem worth it. If you have to pay for or are not able to find other firewood, it may be worth a consideration.

By me good Oak is minimum $85 per cord 100 inch log length. You have to figure out what your time and gas, oil, chain, is worth then decide.

YA, I didn't think it was a very good deal. He doesn't just want it cut he also wants it split. So I do not think it is worth if. They cleared a couple acres and its all piled in big piles.

Ya, nuts. Splitting is ten times the work bucking is. Shoot, 20 if you are hand splitting. Bucking is the absolute easiest part of wood processing, everything else is grunt work, a lot of tedious handling and lifting.

Now if you need the wood bad and have no other options right now, and a good mechanical splitter is involved, his wood, his provided splitter and gas, you get two cords, he gets one. 50/50, nope. Just bucking, 50/50 is acceptable.

This is like making bales for shares, most guys who hay for others get around 3/4ths of the hay, their labor and equipment.

Maybe if you leave him the smaller stuff that don't need splitting. If it's your only supply it would be ok. Seems like you could find a better deal somewhere else. I have done a 4 to 1 ratio 4 for me 1 for them and it still sucked. I would rather just pay for what I take.

If I'm the one doing all the work (digging through a logged pile, cutting branches off and dragging them away, and so on and so forth) , you bet your ass I'm taking 100% of the firewood back with me. None of this halfsies crap. Any time I do a tree removal for someone I make sure up front that I get all the spoils. I'm not going through all that trouble of putting trees on the ground, bucking them up, then start finding out a few days later the property owners brother's cousin's uncle wants in on it. If your brother's cousin's uncle wanted the wood that bad, then he should've come over and put those trees on the ground for you instead, doofus!

I did a 50/50 deal once with good results but the scenario has to be right. His trees, he limbed and drug brush, all I did was saw rounds and cherrypick the best stuff...I even used his skidsteer to load my dumptruck. The only part of screwin with firewood that's remotely enjoyable is running big saws ..the rest is just miserable back breaking work.

I did a 50/50 deal once with good results but the scenario has to be right. His trees, he limbed and drug brush, all I did was saw rounds and cherrypick the best stuff...I even used his skidsteer to load my dumptruck. The only part of screwin with firewood that's remotely enjoyable is running big saws ..the rest is just miserable back breaking work.
It becomes back breaking work running the big saws cutting firewood too. Practically useless to use anything over 75cc IMO. Cutting tops is where the 60cc class really shines.
I'd pass on splitting the guys wood. Maybe try to convince him 4:1 ratio if it has to be split, 4 to you & 1 to him. Otherwise I'd try to work the 2:1 ratio for just blocks. A lot of consideration go into it though... are the tops on a landing or do you have to go into the woods for them...etc.

He wants it bucked and split? What's next, delivering and stacking the wood in his yard, too?

Unless you are in dire need of unseasoned firewood right away, this is too much to ask. Your wood gathering time and labor would be double. If you need say, four cord you'd have to work up eight to get the four... while he laughs all the way to the bank.

There ain't no dang way I'd do it.

Thank you everyone for all the great responses. I will have to discuss it with him and see if we can working something out.
Thanks

Back