50cc class chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great saw. Went out this morning a cut a tank of hardwood, beech and cherry mostly. Then a tank of pine down at my folks farm. I have to saw a tank in this lasts a lot longer than a tank in the 372. Its well balanced and has a ton more power than the 55 rancher it replaced, balanced better too. Taking it to the shop tuesday for a carb adjust and then deciding on the muffler. Lots more torque than I expected even with the 18" 3/8 oregon chisel.
Merry christmas to me.

Merry Christmas to you indeed. Dolmars are sweet saws. Just wait til it's broke in, it may just turn into your go to saw.

Yes they do, mine was still gaining compression after 20 tanks. That was using synthetic oil tho, non syn may break one in faster but someone with more experience than me should make that call.

Nobody is recommending non-synth oil (or extra oil) for break-in over here (as far as I know). If it ever was true, I believe it is outdated advice.....:smile2:

Nobody is recommending non-synth oil (or extra oil) for break-in over here (as far as I know). If it ever was true, I believe it is outdated advice.....:smile2:
Thats why i did'nt give any...
Some people are better at giving advise than taking it.
You know anyone like that?:msp_wink:

The dealer was pushing the dolmar syn oil, I've been using woodland pro conventional. Is there a real advantage to the syn oil?
Russ I'm pulling more mainline this week, come on down I'll let you play with the saw.

The dealer was pushing the dolmar syn oil, I've been using woodland pro conventional. Is there a real advantage to the syn oil?
Russ I'm pulling more mainline this week, come on down I'll let you play with the saw.

--just think about it. Every new saw out there that is sold, all the manufacturers recommend (usually their label) synthetic oil. I don't think they are doing that so they can have more warranty work.

Congrats on your new saw Dill. As for the synthetic oil, get some education on it. You may like what you find. When farmers are using it in their new multi-thousand dollar tractors, and convert over to it for their older tractors it was a heads-up for me to learn about it. I was skeptical at 1st, but now it's in my tractors also.:D

The older oil leaves way more carbon on top of the cylinder. The synthetic is very clean. Stihl will double their warranty if you buy a six pack of synthetic mix at the time you buy the saw.

I have taken apart an saw with the old type oil and a saw using the synthetic. The saw using the synthetic is clean as clean can be. Just a better oil is all. That's all I use in my vehicles too!
:msp_smile:

Went down to help Dill with his mainline work. I brought my Dolmars with me so that we could compare my older Dollys to his new one. As promised he let me try his new PS-5105 and I let him try my 116si. We were both impressed with the saws. Both saws have a lot of power for their weight. We got some work done and had some fun too.

There is no reason NOT to run a synthetic oil. The only oil that protects better is a Castor Bean oil and that stuff is just nasty dirty for extended use. And I wonder if it protects better anymore. CJ

Latest posts

Back