looking to buy a 50 cc firewood saw, either husky pro 50cc sthil 261 or dolmar 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completely agree, when I used to cut a lot, I kept that in mind when buying, but I took a break, came back,
and people were all into HP, when KW would have been better, and Torque figures better still.
For cookie cutters, speed is what matters most, for real work its Torque, a saw needs torque to start up again
in the cut, as when we stop to hammer in a wedge, and start again.

The EPA and the EU have caused the characteristics of the saw to change, a lot of carbs are designed
to only apply enough fuel at high rpm, this is because the engine is more efficient at burning when
a bigger charge of fuel and oxygen is present, this happen at higher rpm 's, thus the modern saws
suffer in the lower range just to keep the EPA and EU happy.
Certain carbs help this, but if the saw is not designed with Torque in mind as opposed to speed, there
really is nothing you can do. That Makita the OP got is good in this respect.

I want to like your message cause I agree, but it's hard to like something containing a message of truth that has created a negative effect on our beloved tools/equipment. It would be interesting to see what we could purchase today if all the money and time spent on emission compliance was spent on simply a better product. I dare say we would be seeing a new generation of chain/bars out there to accommodate the power of "modern saws," had the industry been able to focus merely on product improvement.

If money was no option, the three piece crank, and all the after market parts
could be put on a chassis of our own liking, nice straight through exhaust, and
dare I say for those with the right skills, fuel injection would be no problem either.

Saw manufacturers could offer us the same, but Greed prevents them giving us a better
product, its far better for us to burn out our equipment and buy more, this keeps the wealthy
wealth and the poor poor.

Negative, its the world we live in.

But there is a but in this, and I can see the Chinese making a mock of the saw market, their products,
like it or not are slowly improving, this will make the big names give us more than they would otherwise
do, they will be caught between a rock and a hard place, its either give us more for our money,
or watch as money is spent elsewhere, they took their production to China, they opened that
can of worms, and now its the buyers turn to strike back, when your back is against the wall, and you
can't afford the tools the big boys make, its obvious where your going to spend your money.

As for me, I don't earn a living cutting, so I will try and support local business, even if it cost a bit more.
End of rant, as you can tell I have no time for Greed.

well got about 30 cords on the dolmar 5105 not even a burp, from it tackled some huge birch trees with it to,, the 5105 has a lot of torque, changed out the muffler only ,rest is stock,, bought a used dolmar 6100 but being heavier I did not use it, never felt the need 1 day we were insome extra big larch,and I decided to start off with the 6100 for a change, but soon put it down for the 5105, why hold the extra weight unless I had to my,, partner bought a new echo 50cc saw,,501 I think the new 50cc version, nice light saw with good jam to, really liked it. weve got about 20 more cords to get,, b-4 the snow comes here to BC CANADA, Weve been selling a few cords to the public I have noticed more folks even older folks are burning wood now to save money, the woodstoves are so much better than they used to be with much longer burn times. one lady we sold 2 cords to had a new woodstove that had a oven built into it, great idea, hers was a stove from austraila, I think, ive seen 2 tanaka 51 cc saws up here lately iasked both guys how they liked them, both were impressed and they have 7 year warrantys wow crazy, how do they do it, both these guys were typical weekend warriors getting there firewood so there not used hard I bet, happy cutting guys

If money was no option, the three piece crank, and all the after market parts
could be put on a chassis of our own liking, nice straight through exhaust, and
dare I say for those with the right skills, fuel injection would be no problem either.

Saw manufacturers could offer us the same, but Greed prevents them giving us a better
product, its far better for us to burn out our equipment and buy more, this keeps the wealthy
wealth and the poor poor.

Negative, its the world we live in.

But there is a but in this, and I can see the Chinese making a mock of the saw market, their products,
like it or not are slowly improving, this will make the big names give us more than they would otherwise
do, they will be caught between a rock and a hard place, its either give us more for our money,
or watch as money is spent elsewhere, they took their production to China, they opened that
can of worms, and now its the buyers turn to strike back, when your back is against the wall, and you
can't afford the tools the big boys make, its obvious where your going to spend your money.

As for me, I don't earn a living cutting, so I will try and support local business, even if it cost a bit more.
End of rant, as you can tell I have no time for Greed.
I HATE TO ADMIT IT BUT CHINESE **** IS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER, I KNOW a guy who bought very cheap chinese55cc saw, he will cut all his wood this year,, appx 5, 6 cords, he told me its working fine and its the saws 2 nd year, he did change the chain and bar, its called the EXTREME POWER saw paid $131 cdn about 50 us$ or 75$ whatever, he said the motor is great but the bar and chain was ****. I got a present for my 61 birthday last week from my best friend a folder knife, titanium frame lock,, folder, made by a company called KIZER, BEAUTIFUL 8 INCH FOLDER KNIFE WITH A HIGH END POWERED STEEL {S35V}BLADE, LIGHT AND STRONG AND VERY SHARP,MADE IN CHINA!!!! VERY HIGH QUAlity,,unreal cnc machining, the Chinese are coming, and I bet the cheap ****** saws get a lot better,

I HATE TO ADMIT IT BUT CHINESE **** IS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER, I KNOW a guy who bought very cheap chinese55cc saw, he will cut all his wood this year,, appx 5, 6 cords, he told me its working fine and its the saws 2 nd year, he did change the chain and bar, its called the EXTREME POWER saw paid $131 cdn about 50 us$ or 75$ whatever, he said the motor is great but the bar and chain was ****. I got a present for my 61 birthday last week from my best friend a folder knife, titanium frame lock,, folder, made by a company called KIZER, BEAUTIFUL 8 INCH FOLDER KNIFE WITH A HIGH END POWERED STEEL {S35V}BLADE, LIGHT AND STRONG AND VERY SHARP,MADE IN CHINA!!!! VERY HIGH QUAlity,,unreal cnc machining, the Chinese are coming, and I bet the cheap ****** saws get a lot better,
Kinda have to agree (reluctantly)..

I have an 038 magnum torque piggy that comprises of the following Genuine stuff. All other things on the saw are AM farmertec stuff.

Genuine: Case, Crank, bearings, caber rings, clutch, bing carb, spikes, sprocket, chain brake mechanisms, bar and chain AV mounts.

AM: Ported cylinder, piston, Covers, handle, tank assembly, fuel tubes, impulse tube, hyway fuel and oil caps, chain brake flag, air filter, muffler, recoil, yadda yadda,

I would not hesitate to think this saw will not work hard and play ball for years to come. All the stuff is damn solid, it just doesn't have Stihl printed on it.

I just bought a Chinese generator.

The old pull-start Honda was virtually impossible for my wife to start in the winter.

So I bought an electric-start Champion at Costco. It looks and runs very good. I am amazed at the quality of this thing for the money. If it is as good inside as it looks outside it will last many years.

I'd pick the one with least electronics and fully adjustable carb, made in Germany without Chinese parts is a definite plus in my book. If running lean is a concern, Dolmar carb has limiter caps on it but you can easily cut them off then tune the saw to run richer than factory setting. On top of all, the catalytic converter is easily accessible once muffler is removed, gut it out, enlarge the exhaust port another 50% will make that little 50cc saw roar and cut like a 60cc.

any opinions guys? my old husky 51 is worn out and I want to buy a professional 50cc saw, I tried the echo 501 new model, wow light and fast, but expensive, here in british Columbia Canada anyway. but I liked it,so the husky 550, it was fast, but to me It felt bulky, the echo 501 felt better and seemed faster to, I liked the sthil 261 ALOT was the lightest of the bunch (I think) and felt great to, was pricey like the husky but it just felt good in my hands, I tried the dolmar 5105 WOW does this saw cut, has the most power of the group of pro 50cc saws 3.9 hp, felt great to, I cut firewood for 4 homes, in our family, probably 25 - 30 cords a year, and 5 or 6 more for our big workshop, so I need a solid saw and it will work hard, very hard it comes down to the sthil 261 or the dolmar 5105, the dolmar has the best price, parts are easy, we have a dealer here, I asked the dealer about the lean carb setting problem but he believed it was the dolmar 5100, that had that problem, but ill watch it anyway and ill use synthetic oil to,if I buy it. anyone out there think the sthil 261 is a better saw, its $126.00 cdn, more than the dolmar 5105, thanks guys

Dolmar makes a fantastic product, bang for the buck there is no better (especially here in Canada!) and that 5105 is really top notch.
The 6100 is really impressive as well. You've picked yourself some fine instruments and with an excellent dealer close by, I think you're going to be good.

Latest posts

Back