Chain recommendation for Husky saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John26

Reaction score
Hi new here I stumble across this site looking for new chains. I would like to get some recommendations on chains I currently run 2 Husky saws 288XP and a Rancher 55, and will be building 2 new saws 346XP and 357XP. I mostly cut firewood and some brush, most of the firewood is dead hardwood. I would like to run 1 pitch and 1 gauge for all 4 saws. I currently have all 3/8 mostly 0.050 and some 0.058. Her is what bars I would like to run on what saw
288xp 88cc 20" - 36" bar lengths
55rancher 55cc 16" - 18"bar length
246xp 50cc 16" bar length
357xp 58cc 20" bar length

I run 0.050 and 3/8 on all my saws, from 20" to 32" Bars. Works for me. I still have a collection, but have been buying Oregon chains, chisel skip-tooth, about 1/2 are round the other 1/2 are square ground. Works for me, and there's nothing about any of it I would change.

+1 for the C83 xcut chain. Go on Ebay and look at the seller "lawnmowerpartsworld". Great selection and best prices I've found on xcut chain.

Lol. Seems like every manufacturer has chains and drive links that are exclusive to their brand. Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna are all different chains...

Lol. Seems like every manufacturer has chains and drive links that are exclusive to their brand. Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna are all different chains...
Any of the major brands are good, if they were not a lot of
trees would still be standing.

I use Oregon and Huswvarna and have a few Stihls as backups,
I keep the Stihls as backups as they are harder to sharpen when
the time comes, harder cutters I find.

Using the most suitable cutter format for the job in hand is important,
I preffer semi chisel for dirty or harder woods, the dirt and the real hard
wood's can take the edge off full chisel in those circumstances.

3/8 50 c83 is ok. I like stihls chain also. It's what ever e can get. I don't like Archer it's to hard to file.

I'm just starting to consider changing sprockets on my 562. I think it is a 8 slot from the factory. I am looking at recounting the slots a nd dropping back to a 7. I need more torque. After I sharpen a chain. Even using gauges. I get to aggressive and stall the chain out in really hard wood .
If your not happy with the chain. Just consider the sprocket

3/8 50 c83 is ok. I like stihls chain also. It's what ever e can get. I don't like Archer it's to hard to file.

I'm just starting to consider changing sprockets on my 562. I think it is a 8 slot from the factory. I am looking at recounting the slots a nd dropping back to a 7. I need more torque. After I sharpen a chain. Even using gauges. I get to aggressive and stall the chain out in really hard wood .
If your not happy with the chain. Just consider the sprocket
Factory is 7 pin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228_061807_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228_061807_Samsung Internet.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 0
I have been using stihl chain for my Husqvarna saws, it seems to be harder and hold up a little longer, you need a good file and i have been buying Stihl files as well. My chains are all .058 because thats what my dealer carries, except for the 54” and double end bar.
For my FIL’s saw which I occasionally use during sugaring season, he has a 550xp and .325 chain, i managed to find regular full chisel non reduced kickback from Oregon. If i can keep him away from it it cuts very well.

I thought I counted 8. Going to recount
Could have been swapped, but thats what came up in the ipl. Don't know of your into mods, but a muff mod wakes them up pretty good. Shouldn't have an issue with a 24" in hardwood, with the chain set right.

Plus one on the Muffler mod. They run cooler and stronger with it gutted out. As far as chain, I lean hard towards Husky C83 / C85 chain. Stihl chain is great, just more expensive, and no option in 058 if that matters to you.
Could have been swapped, but thats what came up in the ipl. Don't know of your into mods, but a muff mod wakes them up pretty good. Shouldn't have an issue with a 24" in hardwood, with the chain set right.

Back