50cc Craftsman/Poulan - looks nice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sears states model no. as 35098.
It comes up under Poulan vendor code 358.350980.
Looks like a redesigned rope start cover.

It does look odd huh? Notice the real 3/8 chain and husky looking muffler? HA, it says it weighs 21lbs. :dizzy:

That's ship weight, including bar, chain, tool, case, packing, box etc. That said, I'm sure it's not very light.

And like it was said, it is a 358 series, so it should be a Poulan made saw. My brother works at a local Sears and pointed it out to me.

The air filter cover "nut" and the dawgs look distinctly Poulan to me, very similar to my 330.

No one knows anything about this saw? Or has any ideas how to figure out if it has a Poulan (or other) equivalent? For $200 it looks like a pretty good deal.

attachment.php

attachment.php

took a quick look on Craftsman site

It does not look like a 4620, maybe a newer clone or a Chinese saw.
The file spec. stated 5/32", so it may be a low profile chain.

definatley poulan

besides the 358 prefix designating it as a poulan the part numbers in partsdirect.com are poulan. since poulan is a part of husqvarna some newer part numbers from poulan share the husqvarna 545 prefix. 5300 prefix is definatley poulan. looks like a new lineup. i thought at first it was also an mtd/Mcculloch china special but like mark said the fuel and oil caps are poulan. i'm all for a built in scrench holder,since i hate having to go back to the truck for one or pay a whopping four bucks for a holder from baileys! honestly if you take care of the craftsman/poulans they will last quite a while, i maintain a couple for some buddies who run a lot of wood through theirs. i think most get a bad name since the schmucks that like to bad mouth them run them like they should be built like a bulldozer-not true that's why they only cost what they cost. easy to repair also, i can get poulan parts next day with no problem on availability and cheaper priced, even the older models while husky and stihl are mostly special order and stihl is emptying their inventory of older model parts much to my disdain.

besides the 358 prefix designating it as a poulan the part numbers in partsdirect.com are poulan. since poulan is a part of husqvarna some newer part numbers from poulan share the husqvarna 545 prefix. 5300 prefix is definatley poulan. looks like a new lineup. i thought at first it was also an mtd/Mcculloch china special but like mark said the fuel and oil caps are poulan. i'm all for a built in scrench holder,since i hate having to go back to the truck for one or pay a whopping four bucks for a holder from baileys! honestly if you take care of the craftsman/poulans they will last quite a while, i maintain a couple for some buddies who run a lot of wood through theirs. i think most get a bad name since the schmucks that like to bad mouth them run them like they should be built like a bulldozer-not true that's why they only cost what they cost. easy to repair also, i can get poulan parts next day with no problem on availability and cheaper priced, even the older models while husky and stihl are mostly special order and stihl is emptying their inventory of older model parts much to my disdain.

I'm not a fan of many of the newer craftsman and poulan saws because I hate the crappy plastic wheel chain adjuster and all that garbage. But this saw has a standard screw type adjuster, should be fine. I may have to go see one in person at some point.

I bought one of these, and so far, it's easy to start, not that heavy (for me, and I'm a small guy), and cuts through anything like a hot knife through butter (as long as your blade is sharp).

I was borrowing a neighbor's Husky 455 Rancher with a 20" bar, and this saw feels more powerful. The Husky would bog down...maybe it was tired?

The adjuster is handy when you are in the woods. I've gotten the saw stuck (still learning how to saw, only been doing this a year) a few times, and I've had to readjust the chain.

Seems to go through a LOT of chain oil, twice as fast as the gas usage...I know I didn't fill the Husky this much. I've noticed it likes to spray oil on the tree at high RPMs when you cut at an angle..don't remember the Husky doing that either. It seems to like gas, too. Remember, though, I'm a newb, and this is only my second saw I've used...so I'm just comparing the two based on my personal experiences. They weigh about the same, I think the Craftsman might be a pound heavier...haven't weighed them yet.

Apparently the chain is a redesign, and Oregon doesn't have it updated on their website yet. You have to get it through Craftsman for now. Not a bad price, and it cuts well. It has an Oregon bar, too.

If you follow the instructions for cranking that are on the label on the top, it cranks every single time, right when it's supposed to. Once warm, it's one pull.

If you don't follow the instructions, it's an act of God to get cranked.

It's currently on sale (still) for $200. I think it's worth it. It was much nicer than anything else in that price range. I don't think the Husky I used was worth $180 more. I could have two of these, giving me a nice backup for that price.

Latest posts

Back