50cc Craftsman/Poulan - looks nice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to go through a LOT of chain oil, twice as fast as the gas usage...I know I didn't fill the Husky this much.
Is there an oil adjustment on it? (usually bottom, bar side).

Its possible it has a very small oil tank, although any tank that empties that much faster than your mix is a design flaw imho. Most people dont check their oil until they refill their gas.

Apparently the chain is a redesign, and Oregon doesn't have it updated on their website yet. You have to get it through Craftsman for now. Not a bad price, and it cuts well. It has an Oregon bar, too.

Unless its a powersharp or something, I dont see how the chain is anything other than "standard" - there may not be information about it on the oregon site, but that still doesnt change the fact its still a 3/8, .50 x 66 links or whatever. If you take the chain to any local saw shop they should be able to match it or cut you an identical match - and in my area at least this is usually about 30% cheaper than buying one of the oregon pre-packaged boxes from the box stores.

I bought one of these, and so far, it's easy to start, not that heavy (for me, and I'm a small guy), and cuts through anything like a hot knife through butter (as long as your blade is sharp).

I was borrowing a neighbor's Husky 455 Rancher with a 20" bar, and this saw feels more powerful. The Husky would bog down...maybe it was tired?

The adjuster is handy when you are in the woods. I've gotten the saw stuck (still learning how to saw, only been doing this a year) a few times, and I've had to readjust the chain.

Seems to go through a LOT of chain oil, twice as fast as the gas usage...I know I didn't fill the Husky this much. I've noticed it likes to spray oil on the tree at high RPMs when you cut at an angle..don't remember the Husky doing that either. It seems to like gas, too. Remember, though, I'm a newb, and this is only my second saw I've used...so I'm just comparing the two based on my personal experiences. They weigh about the same, I think the Craftsman might be a pound heavier...haven't weighed them yet.

Apparently the chain is a redesign, and Oregon doesn't have it updated on their website yet. You have to get it through Craftsman for now. Not a bad price, and it cuts well. It has an Oregon bar, too.

If you follow the instructions for cranking that are on the label on the top, it cranks every single time, right when it's supposed to. Once warm, it's one pull.

If you don't follow the instructions, it's an act of God to get cranked.

It's currently on sale (still) for $200. I think it's worth it. It was much nicer than anything else in that price range. I don't think the Husky I used was worth $180 more. I could have two of these, giving me a nice backup for that price.

Good to hear someone has tried it out.

Some questions though:

What size (in cc) does the EPA rated sticker (normally on the rear of the saw in the handle area) say? 50cc? 46cc? 54cc?

Have you noticed it saying "Poulan" in any of the documentation or on the saw?

From the model number it should be a Poulan made saw, but Poulan hasn't made a 50cc saw in a long time so I'm curious if this is all new of a revamp of an older model etc.

Good to hear someone has tried it out.

Some questions though:

What size (in cc) does the EPA rated sticker (normally on the rear of the saw in the handle area) say? 50cc? 46cc? 54cc?

Have you noticed it saying "Poulan" in any of the documentation or on the saw?

From the model number it should be a Poulan made saw, but Poulan hasn't made a 50cc saw in a long time so I'm curious if this is all new of a revamp of an older model etc.

When you place it next to the Rancher, it's eerily similar. I think it's a Poulan/Husky hybrid. Saw is in the truck right now, I'll fetch it in a few, so I can check for an oil adjustment and check that EPA sticker. I need to clean it up after yesterday anyways.

The instruction manual was pretty extensive, I didn't read all of it, but I don't recall it saying Poulan anywhere. I guess you could download the manual in PDF and search to make absolutely sure.

When you place it next to the Rancher, it's eerily similar. I think it's a Poulan/Husky hybrid. Saw is in the truck right now, I'll fetch it in a few, so I can check for an oil adjustment and check that EPA sticker. I need to clean it up after yesterday anyways.

The instruction manual was pretty extensive, I didn't read all of it, but I don't recall it saying Poulan anywhere. I guess you could download the manual in PDF and search to make absolutely sure.

I wonder if Craftsman would use a "Poulan" code if it was actually a "Husqvarna" built saw now that Husqvarna owns Poulan. Keep us posted what you find out, I'm curious.

I just picked mine up today since i was half way to sears getting cow feed and the epa sticker says 50cc Hope that helps .

Finally got around to cleaning it.

EPA is 50cc, as stated in a post above.

Not sure what I'm looking for in regards to bar oil adjustment. I didn't see anything obvious, but I have some more cleaning to do. I think it may have just had some build up...it was pretty caked on.

The manual says I should only put bar oil in it when I gas up. So I probably had sawdust buildup or something causing excessive oil to dispense. I was cutting a lot of undergrowth to clear a path for the wood truck...so maybe all the sideways cutting had an effect on the lube.

I haven't gotten it to bog down yet, and I've hit some relatively large sections of oak, but nothing bigger than the bar yet. After this rain passes, I have some out there over 20 inches I have to cut up. We shall see then. I know I've made the Rancher bog down on oak, and even some poplar. I'm really wondering if it was just tired...it was a 1998.

I think the magnito (sp?) went out on it, that's why I bought the Craftsman. Are those easy to replace? I haven't looked into it much, but I figure I might want that saw working as a backup.

Last edited:
Finally got around to cleaning it.

EPA is 50cc, as stated in a post above.

Not sure what I'm looking for in regards to bar oil adjustment. I didn't see anything obvious, but I have some more cleaning to do. I think it may have just had some build up...it was pretty caked on.

The manual says I should only put bar oil in it when I gas up. So I probably had sawdust buildup or something causing excessive oil to dispense. I was cutting a lot of undergrowth to clear a path for the wood truck...so maybe all the sideways cutting had an effect on the lube.

I haven't gotten it to bog down yet, and I've hit some relatively large sections of oak, but nothing bigger than the bar yet. After this rain passes, I have some out there over 20 inches I have to cut up. We shall see then. I know I've made the Rancher bog down on oak, and even some poplar. I'm really wondering if it was just tired...it was a 1998.

I think the magnito (sp?) went out on it, that's why I bought the Craftsman. Are those easy to replace? I haven't looked into it much, but I figure I might want that saw working as a backup.
Probably your coil took a crap on the rancher. They are simple to replace and are not much money....

Laser , if you do find an oiler adjustment please post back here and let us know , I wont be even messing with my saw for a while if things go well .

Laser , if you do find an oiler adjustment please post back here and let us know , I wont be even messing with my saw for a while if things go well .

I think I've found it on the Husky, and if it is, then the Craftsman doesn't have it...but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for...I tried googling for an example, but there was a lot of junk that was unrelated...anyone have a link of what it's supposed to look like so I don't have to pour over manuals? :confused:

Ill bet our sears saws don't have an adjustment . Having the saw in hand , and looking at pictures the " closest " husky or poulan saw to it is the husky 450e which does not seem to have an adjustable oiler either .

Edited to add . Once you look past the different shaped plastic the location and design of the components seem to pretty well mirror that husky model from what i can tell .

Last edited:
Unless its a powersharp or something, I dont see how the chain is anything other than "standard" - there may not be information about it on the oregon site, but that still doesnt change the fact its still a 3/8, .50 x 66 links or whatever. If you take the chain to any local saw shop they should be able to match it or cut you an identical match - and in my area at least this is usually about 30% cheaper than buying one of the oregon pre-packaged boxes from the box stores.

Looks like Vanguard chain. At some of our local farm stores it's getting hard to find anything 'but' this.

Ill bet our sears saws don't have an adjustment . Having the saw in hand , and looking at pictures the " closest " husky or poulan saw to it is the husky 450e which does not seem to have an adjustable oiler either .

Edited to add . Once you look past the different shaped plastic the location and design of the components seem to pretty well mirror that husky model from what i can tell .

Did the manual have an IPL (parts list) with it? Maybe we could cross-reference the piston, cylinder and carb and see if we have a match on a Husqvarna.

Sears Parts Direct

Run the serial # there for P&C, then you can compare to 450E IPL.
The serial # is already posted earlier on this thread, part #'s looked
like Poulan/Husqvarna #'s.

I don't think anyone believes its a " pro " grade saw . To me it represented " the most bang for the buck " with my real occasional saw use in mind . I don't heat with wood , and I might fall one tree every couple of years . I do use a saw some for demo work , or to trim the tops of railroad ties used in constructing corrals . Since joining I admit i have got to thinking about getting one of the small log mills to cut 2x10s for corrals from deadwood , but at this point its only a thought .

The clutch cover on the one I looked at was all metal. That is a welcome improvement. It does look like a well built saw for the money. The AV springs look like they would do a good job. If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in saws already I would buy one just to play with.

It is metal, my brother works at sears and he confirmed that for me. Looks like a decent saw, just not sure what it's roots are. Normally craftsman saws are a direct poulan saw with different color plastic. This one that doesn't seem to be the case.

Latest posts

Back