50cc Saw Selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some trigger time on a triple 5..that said with 20 inch bars i dont feel a difference big enough to discuss between a 555 and a 261.. i think a 555 is an awesome saw and should really be taken into consideration for firewood duty !

I'm sure it is a great saw for firewood. A 261 is a 50cc saw, where the 555 is a 60cc. I'm looking to get a 50cc saw. I don't want a 60. I just don't like them that much, not when I have a 70 to set on big stuff where weight is no issue. Other than that a 50 is worlds better to limb with than a 60. That's just how I feel about it.

Not enough but I've seen from a distance and it cuts well. He loves it. Maybe I should wait for the mtronic 261 to come out. I'm reading some 261 vs 550 threads and that's the consensus I'm coming up with.

You sure are making it tough for the 550 to get its foot in the door. Just go with the mtronic and get to limbing.

The 4 yr warranty only applies to non-commercial use.

I'm not much of a 261 fan, but for use cutting up firewood, it probably makes the most sense bc you already have Stihl bars.

As mentioned, the 555 would be very nice and a nice jump in power from the 261. And as Brad said, a ported 261 will likely be everyone's favorite.

Technically I'm non-commercial. And I don't want the extra weight, it's just not necessary to have that extra power when I have a 441.

Like what has been posted here on AS in the last 10 days simple modded MS 261 will run like a 60 cc saw and a ported MS 261 will run like a 70 cc saw

DSC_7471.jpg

Your mileage may vary. I've used the 550 and 261 side by side in a limbing environment, and find no significant difference with either. Either will serve you well.

Thank you, I guess right now I think waiting for the 261 M-Tronic to come out and after a few people break them in and confirm that they're good saws that's my best best. Then maybe I'll look into porting the 261. What is the going rate for porting? If I remember correctly it isn't as worth it for the smaller saws with the cost. I could try myself but that scares me haha.

EDIT: .325 stock, .325 MM?, and I'm assuming 3/8 for port and MM

Thank you, I guess right now I think waiting for the 261 M-Tronic to come out and after a few people break them in and confirm that they're good saws that's my best best. Then maybe I'll look into porting the 261. What is the going rate for porting? If I remember correctly it isn't as worth it for the smaller saws with the cost. I could try myself but that scares me haha.

EDIT: .325 stock, .325 MM?, and I'm assuming 3/8 for port and MM

Quite the contrary. The 261 is one of the most awesome saws after porting. Think 441, only a lot smaller and lighter, and a lot more RPMs.

I would not recommend learning to port on a 261. They need entirely different mods than a typical saw.

Last edited:
Quite the contrary. The 261 is one of the most awesome saws after porting. Think 441, only a lot smaller and lighter, and a lot more RPMs.

I would not recommend learning to port on a 261. They need entirely different mods than a typical saw.

No no, I'm saying the cost of the porting vs. the overall cost of the saw. What would I be looking at price wise for porting? I agree that there is no way to have a lighter more powerful saw but money is an issue for me so that comes into play. I agree if money isn't an issue in say a bigger business, yes port no matter what. But I can't drop too much more. Remember I'm trying to keep my costs down to close to the used price of the 360 and 260 I'll be selling.

I was replying to this comment. My ported 50cc saw is probably my most used saw.

I understand, I only meant not as worth it because of the cost of porting. Not because they weren't that great. Porting if I remember correctly doesn't vary as much between bigger and smaller saws. Of course it all depends on your budget and intended use.

This has my interest. Having a ported 441cm and a 361 and wanting the 261cm, I may be selling the 361 as soon as the 261cm is state side and sending out to be ported. :msp_thumbsup:

A 60cc saw cuts too slow in big stuff and is too heavy to limb WHEN and ONLY WHEN you have a 50 and 70. Other than that the 60 is the best one saw option between those two.

I can't believe nmurph is the only one to recommend a 346xp. They are legends in stock form for the size and all. After break-in you could have it ported and mm'd and its an automatic beast. Just my .02.

I'm sure it is a great saw for firewood. A 261 is a 50cc saw, where the 555 is a 60cc. I'm looking to get a 50cc saw. I don't want a 60. I just don't like them that much, not when I have a 70 to set on big stuff where weight is no issue. Other than that a 50 is worlds better to limb with than a 60. That's just how I feel about it.

Im with you on that..havin a ported 70cc and 50cc saw you cant really go wrong..even stock for that matter..but both full of fluids and 20 inch bars the weight difference between a 555 and 261 is hardly noticeable..but as nmurph said , you have stihl bars so a 261 is probably your best bet for your duties

I've never met Brad and have no business involvement with him, that being said.

If I earned a living with a saw I'd eat pork n' beans for a month to have one of his 261's in the truck!!!!!

I don't know how heavily modded that 261 at the Indy GTG was or what happens to economy or saw life BUT IT COULD SURE SHORTEN YOUR WORKDAY! For one thing you wouldn't be grabbing a bigger saw nearly as much.

A 60cc saw cuts too slow in big stuff and is too heavy to limb WHEN and ONLY WHEN you have a 50 and 70. Other than that the 60 is the best one saw option between those two.

I will limb with whatever saw I have in my hands at the time. If a 60cc saw is to heavy maybe you need to join the 30cc gang.

Back