Need a good list of saws to spend some doe on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crftrapper535

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I'm bout to hit up a few pawn shops and get some more stuff and was wondering if someone could give me a good list of some good work horse kinda saws I should look for right now this is my current list I think

Stihl 440
Stihl ms290
Husky 345

Are you looking to take care of a specific need, or just wanting .....stuff?
Mwhahahahaha specific? Well I mean yeah sorta gonna be some heavy cutting got a new job of 600acs to cut with some big hardwood so yeah some heavy cutting and then just some good iconic saws and then some easy to repair

Mwhahahahaha specific? Well I mean yeah sorta gonna be some heavy cutting got a new job of 600acs to cut with some big hardwood so yeah some heavy cutting and then just some good iconic saws and then some easy to repair
600 acres to cut including big hardwoods? Why muck around at the pawn shop? A job like that will require proper tools. You'll need minimum, a 90cc saw, a 76 cc saw and if your idea of big is 3ft and over hardwood logs you'll be sorry if you don't have a 120cc saw. You can use the little saws you currently have for limbing.
Pawn shops don't usually carry good quality pro saws as mentioned above.
If you really have 600 acres of wooded country to cut you'll probably need 3 of everything. Or more realistically, a harvester /loader

600 acres? You going to need a lot more than a few saws. It took a crew with a huge skidder, cutter, limber, several log trucks, and loader a month to do about a hundred acres for us. But if all you’re doing is cutting, a minimum of two new 70cc and two 90cc saws. Be careful. Trees will kill you.

600 acres to cut including big hardwoods? Why muck around at the pawn shop? A job like that will require proper tools. You'll need minimum, a 90cc saw, a 76 cc saw and if your idea of big is 3ft and over hardwood logs you'll be sorry if you don't have a 120cc saw. You can use the little saws you currently have for limbing.
Pawn shops don't usually carry good quality pro saws as mentioned above.
If you really have 600 acres of wooded country to cut you'll probably need 3 of everything. Or more realistically, a harvester /loader
Oh yeah no we got a cat 553c but we also take turns at the landing bucking some of the logs the loader can't and we cut some of the huge timber the cat can't right now 2 guys have 462s and I'm using a friend's 572xp he wanted me to try so it's kinda of light duty cutting some would say but when I'm at my 120acs clearing dead trees and brush and etc then it's a little bit of heavy also what saw does most wildland firefighters use

600 acres? You going to need a lot more than a few saws. It took a crew with a huge skidder, cutter, limber, several log trucks, and loader a month to do about a hundred acres for us. But if all you’re doing is cutting, a minimum of two new 70cc and two 90cc saws. Be careful. Trees will kill you.
for contrast we got 2 skidders 1 loader 2 bunchers 1 processor and 10 trucks but sometimes the 2 bunchers have trees they can't get to or are to big and need someone to cut them which me and 2 other guys do but I'm just wondering what new saws I can hit the woods with and as far as trees killing its funny how they get by with murder 🤨😑

I'm so damn curious about the echos everyone is saying buy them but some people is saying there trash? Can someone give me some more info on the echos I'm a poulan sthil husky kinda guy
in my opinion echo 590 is best bang for the buck at a 60cc saw. i recommend it to everyone.
i have had zero issues with mine and use it hard .

I'm so damn curious about the echos everyone is saying buy them but some people is saying there trash?
I just ordered one. I have been wanting one for years cause I read only good things about them.
$396.?? to my house, 18" or 20" bar from Mowpart. I have a Husq 372 non xtorq that is only couple ounces heavier than cs-590 so I did not need this saw but now I anxiously await the arrival.

That saw at Mowpart is $399 but they gave 5% off which you should get also. $16.50 shipping and no tax.

I just ordered one. I have been wanting one for years cause I read only good things about them.
$396.?? to my house, 18" or 20" bar from Mowpart. I have a Husq 372 non xtorq that is only couple ounces heavier than cs-590 so I did not need this saw but now I anxiously await the arrival.
mine came with a 24 inch bar

Latest posts

Back