50cc Saw Selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 60cc saw cuts too slow in big stuff and is too heavy to limb WHEN and ONLY WHEN you have a 50 and 70. Other than that the 60 is the best one saw option between those two.

IMO; that's why when you have more than one saw you should jump a class of saw; In your case the 60 cc saw should be sold

IMO; that's why when you have more than one saw you should jump a class of saw; In your case the 60 cc saw should be sold

That is, until CAD takes hold and then you not only have one of every class but find yourself justifying classes in between... :msp_smile:

I own a ported 261 and my dad has a MMed 550 (just modded it this weekend). Niether are broken in yet but I have ran both enough to feel qualified to comment and hopefully shed some light for you.

IMO if the was was primarily for limbing I think the 550 would have the slight edge but as a do all, jack of all trades a ported 261 is going to be hard to beat. I dont think one will out the cut the other in a large enough margin to matter but the 261 is like a big block chevy and 550 is more like a supercharged V6. I can lean on my 261 a lot harder without stopping the chain, but with a lighter hand the 550 cut almost as fast but its not ported. Ported I am sure its awesome but still not going to have the torque of the 261.

In summary a 261 (especially ported) is going to be hard to beat for a do all firewood saw but I sure like my dads 550 and will likely own one. To hold them side by side I would say the 550 feels lighter but I ran both 2 days ago and didnt notice any weight difference. If you arent trying to feel the difference you wont, if that makes sense. My 261 is also running 3/8s chain and a sthil bar that I know are heavier than the B&C on my dads 550 so that adds some weight to it as well.

Hope that helps and maybe it wasnt too confusing

Exactly my thinking. The 360 was free to me. Well, I paid $100 to get it fixed. I also limb with whichever saw is in my hand, even the 441 if need be. But, when I have the time to drop a saw and fire up another I'll always go to the 50 to limb over the 60, or 70 if I have the choice and time.

I own a ported 261 and my dad has a MMed 550 (just modded it this weekend). Niether are broken in yet but I have ran both enough to feel qualified to comment and hopefully shed some light for you.

IMO if the was was primarily for limbing I think the 550 would have the slight edge but as a do all, jack of all trades a ported 261 is going to be hard to beat. I dont think one will out the cut the other in a large enough margin to matter but the 261 is like a big block chevy and 550 is more like a supercharged V6. I can lean on my 261 a lot harder without stopping the chain, but with a lighter hand the 550 cut almost as fast but its not ported. Ported I am sure its awesome but still not going to have the torque of the 261.

In summary a 261 (especially ported) is going to be hard to beat for a do all firewood saw but I sure like my dads 550 and will likely own one. To hold them side by side I would say the 550 feels lighter but I ran both 2 days ago and didnt notice any weight difference. If you arent trying to feel the difference you wont, if that makes sense. My 261 is also running 3/8s chain and a sthil bar that I know are heavier than the B&C on my dads 550 so that adds some weight to it as well.

Hope that helps and maybe it wasnt too confusing

That makes a lot of sense and is a good honest review of the two.

That is, until CAD takes hold and then you not only have one of every class but find yourself justifying classes in between... :msp_smile:

LOL; I have saws from 30 cc; 40 cc; 50 cc; 60 cc; 70 cc; and 80 cc and multi of each class I would say CAD has set in :laugh:

From this

002-9.jpg

To this and a few in between :D

IMAG0059_zpsb146504f.jpg

I'd keep the saws you have and when your business makes enough money to buy another get whatever you want.

If you sell your 360 and 260 what are you going to do if something happens to your new saw? I'd at least keep the 360 -- that way you can keep working efficiently if either your 441 or new small saw isn't good to go.

I'd keep the saws you have and when your business makes enough money to buy another get whatever you want.

If you sell your 360 and 260 what are you going to do if something happens to your new saw? I'd at least keep the 360 -- that way you can keep working efficiently if either your 441 or new small saw isn't good to go.

My dad has an 036 I could use if anything went wrong with the 441. If something happened to the 261 then I could always use the 211 for limbing. But I see where you're going with this. I very well could keep everything. I'm just trying to satisfy my CAD really.

I'd keep the 360 as a backup or sell it and borrow your dad's if need be, and run the snot out of the 441 and 260. See how that goes until the ms261 C-M arrives. I find that my 260 does just fine now that I have the 440 for bigger stuff; it cuts the smaller wood as fast as I can think and that's all I want out of a 50cc saw. Of course a 550xp and ms261 can cut faster and are just more advanced designs; question is whether you need or can take advantage of the extra power when you have the 441. If you have the skills and stamina to outperform the 260 and are sick and tired of waiting on it, get the 261 C-M later on and have fun. Otherwise, make your money with the 260 for as long as it holds out.

Last edited:
regarding 50cc saws, there really are just two sensible choises, 346xp and 550xp. The MS261 just isn't what a 50cc saw should be regarding handling etc - you could just as well use a larger saw, with more power.

regarding 50cc saws, there really are just two sensible choises, 346xp and 550xp. The MS261 just isn't what a 50cc saw should be regarding handling etc - you could just as well use a larger saw, with more power.

Nikko, I like you, but....doesn't that ever get old? Have you ever considered that there are opinions based on different factors than what your limited appraisal provides. The 261 is a fantastic saw for many people, period.

Nikko, I like you, but....doesn't that ever get old? Have you ever considered that there are opinions based on different factors than what your limited appraisal provides. The 261 is a fantastic saw for many people, period.

LOL; Brad you have to remember he doesn't like Stihl products :msp_ohmy:

Last edited:
There are a good many other 50cc saws out there that will do just about whatever it is that any owner wants.

You get the impression reading here on AS that pretty much the only worthwhile consideration is a 346 or 550, followed by a 261 as runner up.

Some folks need to open up their minds a bit and realize that there are a many more models that are getting the job done, have been for a while and quite nicely at that.

These threads are so predictable.

OP, you now have heard the entire volume of research and reporting on this topic. All of the competing camps have chimed in; go forth and buy a saw

My dad has an 036 I could use if anything went wrong with the 441. If something happened to the 261 then I could always use the 211 for limbing. But I see where you're going with this. I very well could keep everything. I'm just trying to satisfy my CAD really.

I would not sell good running saws if I was a commercial cutter, just add to the fleet

Actually I do this now, got beaucoup runners...I need to find a part time job cutting I guess...;)

I would keep everything you have and get a new 261. I only sell saws if I have a good replacement (and backup) for what I'm selling or if it's something I just don't need. Might sound a little OCD or CAD but when I want a certain saw to do a certain job, that's what I want. Don't need to be cutting saplings with a MS441 if you have a good pair of 50cc saws.

You never need a backup until you don't have one. :dizzy:

I would not sell good running saws if I was a commercial cutter, just add to the fleet

Actually I do this now, got beaucoup runners...I need to find a part time job cutting I guess...;)

Meh, I am a full time student, work 40 hours a week in the summer and cut wood on the side. I do about 30-40 cords per year with my brother.

I've read all of those anti 261 posts and I can't bring myself to listen to one or two people about it. I am only cutting firewood so I'm not too worried.

I have another idea that no one mentioned. What if I sold the 360 and then got the 260 ported professionally. Would that be a waste of money? The 260 is lighter and more nimble than the 261. It is also the cleaner between the 360 and 260. I know the 360 has been beaten up pretty bad and I bought the 260 and it looked barely used. Or would it be stupid to pay $250 for a saw and then $250 to port it haha. Or will someone do it cheaper or are they just as hard as every other saw?

I've read all of those anti 261 posts and I can't bring myself to listen to one or two people about it. I am only cutting firewood so I'm not too worried.

I have another idea that no one mentioned. What if I sold the 360 and then got the 260 ported professionally. Would that be a waste of money? The 260 is lighter and more nimble than the 261. It is also the cleaner between the 360 and 260. I know the 360 has been beaten up pretty bad and I bought the 260 and it looked barely used. Or would it be stupid to pay $250 for a saw and then $250 to port it haha. Or will someone do it cheaper or are they just as hard as every other saw?

Now; I like that idea. Always did like the weight, and conformation of the 260. May as well run it till she gives up.

Back