5100 just burned up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boike

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Not a good day. Just went to do a little clean up after some rain, and after a few cuts the 5100 is not showing any compression. I pulled the muffler, and the piston has some pretty bad scoring. It looks like there is no ring(is that possible?). From what little I could see the cylinder wall looks ok, but dont they usually go together? I just called my dealer, and yes its 8 months out of warrenty. $180 for a new piston and cylinder sounds high. They are also going to check the gas, but it was fresh, and just mixed, tuned by the dealer less than a year ago. It has been a great saw.......up to this point.

Not a good day. Just went to do a little clean up after some rain, and after a few cuts the 5100 is not showing any compression. I pulled the muffler, and the piston has some pretty bad scoring. It looks like there is no ring(is that possible?). From what little I could see the cylinder wall looks ok, but dont they usually go together? I just called my dealer, and yes its 8 months out of warrenty. $180 for a new piston and cylinder sounds high. They are also going to check the gas, but it was fresh, and just mixed, tuned by the dealer less than a year ago. It has been a great saw.......up to this point.

Marshall Va, your on the other side of Middleburg, horse country. So ya ole saw bit the dust, thats a shame. $180.00 is on par. Stihl cylinder kits run in that area and some of them are alot more..

How long has it been sitting since you used it last? I'd guess a partially clogged carb, make sure to clean it good and pull the limiter caps also and give it some more fuel on the high. Steve

That sucks brother. That's another reason to learn how to tune. A basic tune man. It's not that hard to work to get to know what to do. Search this forum bro.

I learned so much so I can run a pipe on mine and not burn up.

I hope you end up with a new p&c. Give Dolmar a call. You never know.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11/CHEVYTOWN/VIDS/3inchbaffle.flv">

check for a support ring in the carb / intake boot junction. Earlier saws did not have them, upgrade to one.

If you read the posts in the other thread, Dolmar basically said the saws are setup too lean from the factory by 500-750 RPMs, I think it was. Additionally they were tuned on straight gasoline, no ethanol. Add ethanol and they're even leaner. Then you run them in cold weather and they're even leaner yet. It's no wonder they're burning up if not richened up by the selling dealers. I've seen no evidence to suggest it's an actual flaw in the design of the saw. I believe it's entirely a tuning issue. I could be wrong though.

This Dolmar trend is bad....:buttkick:

Aren't you glad I took that 362 of yours and fought that little cap, cussing it the whole time and rolled that baby back from 14,600 to 13,500-13,600?

Hows that saw working for ya??

If you read the posts in the other thread, Dolmar basically said the saws are setup too lean from the factory by 500-750 RPMs, I think it was. Additionally they were tuned on straight gasoline, no ethanol. Add ethanol and they're even leaner. Then you run them in cold weather and they're even leaner yet. It's no wonder they're burning up if not richened up by the selling dealers. I've seen no evidence to suggest it's an actual flaw in the design of the saw. I believe it's entirely a tuning issue. I could be wrong though.

Looks like a tuning issue purposely made at the factory, to "cheat" on the EPA system....:givebeer:

The good dealers solve the problem before the saw is handed out, but the lesser ones does't.

Aren't you glad I took that 362 of yours and fought that little cap, cussing it the whole time and rolled that baby back from 14,600 to 13,500-13,600?

Hows that saw working for ya??

You obviously know what you are doing, but Dolmar should inform all their dealers about the issue! :cheers:

Last edited:
If you read the posts in the other thread, Dolmar basically said the saws are setup too lean from the factory by 500-750 RPMs, I think it was. Additionally they were tuned on straight gasoline, no ethanol. Add ethanol and they're even leaner. Then you run them in cold weather and they're even leaner yet. It's no wonder they're burning up if not richened up by the selling dealers.

Maybe this is true, and maybe it's an easy out for Dolmar.

I've seen no evidence to suggest it's an actual flaw in the design of the saw. I believe it's entirely a tuning issue. I could be wrong though.

Than why did they redesign the case? Dolmar says the new case design improves cylinder cooling.:cheers::popcorn:

Remember guys this is coming from a huge Dolmar fan.

it was just tuned by the dealer about 6 months ago(Summer time of course) so I hope(?) they could get that correct. I am going down to talk with them later this week, and hope it will all work out, but not real hopeful. It was sitting about 3 months, but I emptied the gas, and put in fresh mix today. i will let you know how it turns out.

it was just tuned by the dealer about 6 months ago(Summer time of course) so I hope(?) they could get that correct. I am going down to talk with them later this week, and hope it will all work out, but not real hopeful. It was sitting about 3 months, but I emptied the gas, and put in fresh mix today. i will let you know how it turns out.
Sorry bout your saw neighbor. Hope it works out in your favor!

Back