5100 just burned up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh JS, and when is the world coming to an end, lol.
Are you for real?

I think it may have already ended. Purgatory is many a thread dedicated to the smoking carcasses of 5100s.

For what it is worth, I have never seen a properly running 5100 in person. I have seen many that supposedly ran great but obviously did not, some flat out wickedly smoked ones, and more than a few that took waaaaaaaaaay the heck to many pulls to start and lots of trigger feathering to keep running.

Other than the random stop at a Dolmar dealer to see what is there, which is rare and typically happens in other states, the only reason that I would typically see a 5100 is when one needs service which in an area that has zero Dolmar dealer presence seems to be more often than I would have thought.

Last edited:
JS..... you need to loosen up.......way too tense.
What will be, will be.
If only for strong debate, so what.
Do realise others are entitled to their own opions and thoughts that could differ from your own.
It is what makes the world go round.
Have a good one.

JS..... you need to loosen up.......way too tense.
What will be, will be.
If only for strong debate, so what.
Do realise others are entitled to their own opions and thoughts that could differ from your own.
It is what makes the world go round.
Have a good one.

You may rest assured that I am very relaxed, we seem to be having a communication failure, which up until this particular moment I did not recognize. For instance, I was unaware that there was a debate going on.

I am a huge believer in to each there own, that is why I recommended the Echo.

In this particular thread there is little for debate as the OP stated his saw is smeared and not to be covered by OEM. After that it becomes the typical love to hate festival that surrounds the 5100 for the various reasons that are always stated, the most sound reason being Dolmar and some seemingly poor decision making on their part. I do not love or hate the 5100 but rather believe that it lives in the echelons of the wildly over hyped, just like the 361 and the 346.

Last edited:
You may rest assured that I am very relaxed, we seem to be having a communication failure, which up until this particular moment I did not recognize. For instance, I was unaware that there was a debate going on.

I am a huge believer in to each there own, that is why I recommended the Echo.

In this particular thread there is little for debate as the OP stated his saw is smeared and not to be covered by OEM. After that it becomes the typical love to hate festival that surrounds the 5100 for the various reasons that are always stated, the most sound reason being Dolmar and some seemingly poor decision making on their part. I do not love or hate the 5100 but rather believe that it lives in the echelons of the wildly over hyped, just like the 361 and the 346.

Well your entitled to your opinion ............done.

My bet is the Husqvarna 357Xp has a similar seize rate as the Dolmar...point? Just because the 5100S is twisted to the limit, doesn't mean the Dolmar brand should be avoided. My hunch is Dolmar corrects whatever is required in the next 5100 series model and move on..its up to dealers and nuts like us to find work arounds for the 5100S saws out there. Fair? no. Real...probably.

Saws are tools the need to adjusted from warm weather to cold, from good gas to ethonal, if you run one you should learn how. Too many people are afraid to touch the adjustments but shouldn't be, if it runs worse put it back where it was or go the other way. If your saw really screams, is boggy, doesn't idle down, doesn't want to rev up untill good and warm it's too lean, give it more fuel. Steve

That statement is stupid. Most people don't give a crap about chainsaw, it's a tool to most nothing more. People think they should just run. Even most mechanically inclined people don't know how or when to tune a saw, and just because you don't know something doesn't make you stupid. Ignorant maybe, but not stupid.

Fact is the 5100's had issues, and most of them have likely been fixed.

I see it like this. Heat issues + carb issues + tuning problems + cylinders that may be too well made (tight tolerances) + bad fuel/oil = a dead saw.

I stand by my statement,

been a millwright for near 30 years, some people could wreck an anvil in a sand box!

If the little Dolmar has any fault, IT RUNS TOO GOOD!

It's a little hot rod, and like anything that runs fantastic, you are getting real close to the edge.

With proper care that saw will last a lifetime.

You know perfectly well that "Harry homeowner" mostly don't take pics of his misfortune, and post them (he mostly doesn't even know how to do it).

Isn't it ironic though that it's always some newbie that posts these, my 5100 burned up threads? They usually have less than 50 posts and you seldom hear much from them after stirring the hornets nest. It does make one wonder. :monkey:

Are they real trolls?......Who knows but their threads are rarely ever presented with any proof of what they're claiming. No dealer ever mentioned even when asked, no pictures of the so called burned up saw, paperwork etc. Dealer & Dolmar won't fix my saw but rarely ever any burned up 5100s listed on the buy/sell page here at AS or listed on eBay and Craigslist......Hmmmmm.....Again makes one wonder. Now if my dealer was trying to screw me over you can damn sure bet I'll be letting everyone possible know the name of that dealership.

Is there communication problems with Dolmar and their dealers? Sure I've admitted that but as usual here in the world of AS everything is drama and over reaction. We now even have a member for 3 years claiming he's never seen a 5100 that ran right. :dizzy: Apparently he's never watched any of the 5100 videos here.

BTW....Has your 5100 burned up? Does your 5100 run right? Do you think yours is going to burn up anytime soon?.....Guess what, neither has mine and I don't expect it to happen anytime soon but if and when it does I'll show with proof and some documentation of that occurrence.

In these days of wide spread internet usage and 10 quadrillion people on Facebook airing their dirty laundry, it's hard to believe too many people who use a computer don't know how to post a pic on the internet. It must just be stupid 5100 owners with burned up saws who don't know how to use their computers too. :givebeer:

Last edited:
I am not going to do a lot of guessing about saws I have never seen.

The only problem I have had with my 5100 is the ignition died. It was fixed under warranty. One treatment with filter oil has kept all dirt out of the carburetor.

As I have said in other posts, my dealer, D&D Enterprize, disabled the self compensating fuel supply arrangement. Does this improve reliability? I think so. This set-up is over engineered to say the least.

The saw starts easy once you know what it wants, like many saws. It runs strong and vibrates little. I don't know what else I could ask for!!

My bet is the Husqvarna 357Xp has a similar seize rate as the Dolmar...point? Just because the 5100S is twisted to the limit, doesn't mean the Dolmar brand should be avoided.

No and yes.

The problem with Husky 357's was confined to those that had the the auto-decompression. That deco would start to suck air at some point, and we know what that means. Other than that, 357's have been fine.

The 5100 issue is confined to that particular saw, and has nothing to do with the rest of the Dolmar line. The problem, which I think is real, may in large part already be solved with the 5105 and it's cat muffler. The cat will allow Dolmar to set them up out of the danger zone. Then you Dolmar guys can do whatever you want with the cat.

Isn't it ironic though that it's always some newbie that posts these, my 5100 burned up threads? They usually have less than 50 posts and you seldom hear much from them after stirring the hornets nest. It does make one wonder. :monkey:

Are they real trolls?......Who knows but their threads are rarely ever presented with any proof of what they're claiming. No dealer ever mentioned even when asked, no pictures of the so called burned up saw, paperwork etc. Dealer & Dolmar won't fix my saw but rarely ever any burned up 5100s listed on the buy/sell page here at AS or listed on eBay and Craigslist......Hmmmmm.....Again makes one wonder. Now if my dealer was trying to screw me over you can damn sure bet I'll be letting everyone possible know the name of that dealership.

Is there communication problems with Dolmar and their dealers? Sure I've admitted that but as usual here in the world of AS everything is drama and over reaction. We now even have a member for 3 years claiming he's never seen a 5100 that ran right. :dizzy: Apparently he's never watched any of the 5100 videos here.

BTW....Has your 5100 burned up? Does your 5100 run right? Do you think yours is going to burn up anytime soon?.....Guess what, neither has mine and I don't expect it to happen anytime soon but if and when it does I'll show with proof and some documentation of that occurrence.

In these days of wide spread internet usage and 10 quadrillion people on Facebook airing their dirty laundry, it's hard to believe too many people who use a computer don't know how to post a pic on the internet. It must just be stupid 5100 owners with burned up saws who don't know how to use their computers too. :givebeer:

Seen this a lot on this site..

" no picture,didnt happen "

My bet is the Husqvarna 357Xp has a similar seize rate as the Dolmar...point? Just because the 5100S is twisted to the limit, doesn't mean the Dolmar brand should be avoided. My hunch is Dolmar corrects whatever is required in the next 5100 series model and move on..its up to dealers and nuts like us to find work arounds for the 5100S saws out there. Fair? no. Real...probably.

For the OP, bro, write (words on paper works its magic sometimes) to Dolmar and complain like you've never complained before.

As for me, it's a twisted 5100 alright:cheers: Particularly the 3rd cut:jawdrop: Sounds like it's going to blow up:greenchainsaw:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcVa76lokzk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcVa76lokzk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The cat muffler didn't keep Echo from sending them out in the danger zone, most need around 1 turn out on the high to be set right. There has been countless theads on here how to tune a saw, no excuse for for people on here not to. Stopped by my local Dolmar dealer last fall and asked him if he adjusted the 5100s before sending them out, no there not adjusable was his answer and he did have at least 1 burnt up one in his shop, surprise, suprise. Steve

Well the saw is down at the shop. Just dropped it off, and the tech should take a look at it next week. I will try to take a couple of pics after they decide what is going on with it. This saw was tuned when it left the shop new, and tuned again 6 months ago by the same guy. When I spoke with them this morning they said they do not tune them to run on the ragged edge, and winter or summer should not drastically alter how the engine runs. Now that is their take on it anyway.

Thanks for all the advice on learning how to tune a saw. I will have to check this out in the future so I dont have issues with any of my other saws

Well the saw is down at the shop. Just dropped it off, and the tech should take a look at it next week. I will try to take a couple of pics after they decide what is going on with it. This saw was tuned when it left the shop new, and tuned again 6 months ago by the same guy. When I spoke with them this morning they said they do not tune them to run on the ragged edge, and winter or summer should not drastically alter how the engine runs. Now that is their take on it anyway.

Thanks for all the advice on learning how to tune a saw. I will have to check this out in the future so I dont have issues with any of my other saws

Heys you got a question for ya. Are you the man that drove from Marshall a few weeks ago to Leesburg to check on a rear handle MS200???

I think there is a lot of truth in your statement!
and i'll say it again, where are all these smoked saws, i can't find any for sale anywhere so somethings not right with this issue.

Think you guy's are "grasping at straws" on this one.
Trying to make less out of it?... Or down play it to protect you favorite brand....

No, not trying to "protect my favorite brand" just can't seem to find any part saws anywhere? if that many have actually burnt up they should be stacked up like cord wood somewhere?

Check it out yourself...

The newb with less than 50 post is the guy that's going to experience the trouble. He's the average consumer. Bought a smaller saw to do his cutting. Knows nothing of AS or how to "tune" his carb. He bought a quality saw, not a "hot rod" and expects it to come from the factory or the dealer ready to cut wood.. It does cut wood and dang good. Then a little while later boom his saw stopped working. He searches the Internet looking for answers and finds AS. He posts his problem. There ya have it. Maybe a few slightly different scenarios, but that's how we get a bunch of Newb's posting about their 5100 melting down....

I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't have a Dolmar, don't plan to buy a Dolmar and don't even know where a Dolmar dealer is.. So I don't really care. It just seemed silly to me that this was turning to "there really isn't a problem here. It's Trolls signing up on AS to give Dolmar a bad name"...LOL

Heck my new 362 was set way too lean from the factory. Tommy turned it down as far as the limiter caps would allow and it was still too lean. He took some extra time and pulled the caps so he could set it to the proper RMP. That's what a good dealer does! Maybe lack of good dealers is whole problem here with Dolmar.... I know, but it's been said before and agreed about in other topics...

Back