5100s tuning question - Where to begin?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingDavey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been recently having a problem with my saw. I was cutting some poplar when the saw started screaming in the cut. I stopped cutting and checked the rpm and it went way past the 14k I had it set at. I took the carb apart, cleaned it and reassembled. so how many turns out should i start with on the screws? more worried about the high side than the low. :confused: I am also afraid of a spun bearing.... a vac test might be in the future if i can't get the rpms down.

I have been recently having a problem with my saw. I was cutting some poplar when the saw started screaming in the cut. I stopped cutting and checked the rpm and it went way past the 14k I had it set at. I took the carb apart, cleaned it and reassembled. so how many turns out should i start with on the screws? more worried about the high side than the low. :confused: I am also afraid of a spun bearing.... a vac test might be in the future if i can't get the rpms down.

turn and a half for both with the limiters disabled.

It the rpm suddenly skyrocket, the first thing I would think about is an air leak.

Proceed with caution King Davey, at 14,000+, air leaks can be fatal, fast! I've got the carcass of a beloved Husqvarna 246 to prove it.

Yep a sudden problem out of the blue, is almost always more than a simple adjustment. Carb settings shouldn't change suddenly or for know reason. I agree air leak.

Ok thanks everyone!! I appreciate the advice. I'm gonna vacum and pressure test the crankcase and intake boot just to be sure.

No,it's a 50cc Dolmar that comes stock from the factory with close to 200 psi cold so it can keep up with the Husky's and Stihl's:hmm3grin2orange:

It once was the most over-hyped saw on the AS, and also had major issues, because of how Dolmar handled the EPA issue, and "forgot" to tell their dealers how to handle it at the point of sale......

It once was the most over-hyped saw on the AS, and also had major issues, because of how Dolmar handled the EPA issue, and "forgot" to tell their dealers how to handle it at the point of sale......

Read most of those posts and even bought a new 5100 and the dealer shipped it to me and let me cut the H speed limiter and reset it myself but the appeal was not there for me so off it went.

All the ones from knucklehead dealers maybe ? I dunno. Mine's been great. It's the one I grab 95% of the time.

I agree - I fell for the husky 346xp hype but always seem to grab the Dolmar while the 346 lays on its side in the shed. there was a thread on here about adjusting the carb on a 5100 a while back . I followed that and my 5100 runs like a champ. :rock:

Back